AF: Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today! | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LouJC, May 16, 2020.

1. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

That is the constant US virus, l suppose:D

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Can we sue the Coronavirus? I wonder if it’s got any money...surely it MUST be an heir to the Corona beer empire? :D

page2171, tlc, djsamuel and 1 other person like this.
  3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

There was a photo circulating Wednesday that had someone with a portable grill cooking hot dogs with an open flame at Disney Springs. That's not putting a whole lot of faith in Disney's crowd control for me right now.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

True, and also false equivalence.

The grounds for a lawsuit would be if the owner of the business knew they were doing something that could endanger customers and did nothing about it. Examples would be someone running a restaurant after being formally warned that raw sewage was backing up into their potable water (my plumber has seen this — it's why the faucet is never below the high-water level in a sink or bathtub) or, perhaps, a barber breaking state law to give haircuts; the latter case might be questionable but one which would not be, is a barber giving haircuts, knowing he had COVID-19. (I am not accusing anyone of this, I am saying this would be a case of justifiable lawsuits.)

In short, yes, there are risks. The law requires that business owners take reasonable steps to mitigate those risks. Not extreme measures, but reasonable ones. If someone has tested positive, they should not be maskless and serving customers. If you know the cream cheese has been sitting outside since last week, you throw it away.

KrisW and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. WXman

WXman Active Member

More concerning is the Gladiators that have been sitting unmoved on dealer lots here for 11 months now.

I mean, literally unmoved. The gas is probably stale now.

6. aldo90731

And the tires are likely deformed, too.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Good point on the gasoline. We mentioned earlier that the $1/gallon gasoline prices were likely to clear out fuel before it went bad. Lots of people are going to screw up their fuel injectors over the next weeks. I'd hope dealers had someone moving those cars or boosted the tire pressure. (That's what I do when I put the Valiant away each winter.)

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Amazingly enough, when I started my Mustang after it sat dead in the driveway from September to February (maybe longer, I don’t recall), I put a new battery in and it started right up. The tires were low...and of course my compressor decided it was no longer going to work...so I pumped up all 4 tires with a bicycle pump. Yup, my new neighbors probably think I’m a lunatic. Forearms of STEEL!! :cool::p

I was concerned about the gas being bad, but it drove fine, and it was a full tank. Once I got the electrical gremlins sorted out (bad Sync module), it’s been driving fine. My mechanic gave it a looksee when it was in for the e-gremlins.

Sure, that’s just one instance...but it was sitting outside all winter unprotected, and it’s a 10 year old vehicle with 125k miles. Brand new vehicles would probably fare better, I would imagine. Though the thought did cross my mind about dealer lots.

9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sat a nearly a year on the lot. It had summer gas in it when I purchased it on a very cold day. It ran like crap and I got a really good deal. Two tanks of gas fixed it.

Right now I'm keeping my eye on a 2018 Challenger GT at the dealer where I bought my Avenger. They're starting to get similar Challengers as lease returns.

DC-93 likes this.
  10. oharman

oharman Well-Known Member

I just called my dealer about getting my state inspection and asked if they put plastic on anything and they told me they're not doing that anymore. Funny, they start to open things up in these states and everyone acts like the pandemic is over. Maybe I'll just wait on the inspection...we've been given 90 days past expiration from what I can find online so maybe I'll wait it out a little longer. I'm in WV btw...

tlc likes this.
  11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

FL is once again on the rise, they just hit their 2nd peak. Opening up too soon was the big mistake that I predicted it would be.

DC-93, oharman, tlc and 2 others like this.
  12. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

And yet we moved to Phase II and whenever I got out people are acting like this is over.

DC-93 and oharman like this.
  13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Which is why it's NOT over and has resurged.
    upload_2020-6-5_14-35-59.png

DC-93 and gforce2002 like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Then you’ve got poorly thought out system like PA. Red, yellow, green. My area is now green, which implies that it’s over. But green only means a few more things open and many restrictions are still in effect.

Colrs probably should have been red, orange, yellow, green with yellow (use caution) in effect now and green (all ok) out in the future.

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

What difference does a color code make when people are doing whatever the heck they want anyway? Just stay the heck away from me and my family.

DC-93, tlc, djsamuel and 2 others like this.
  16. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I think we're seeing the Memorial Day spike because people are incapable of following instructions. We've been out and to restaurants and to Disney Springs and for the mopst part things are running extremely well. The knuckleheads are causing the problems. Now the protest spike will kick in soon.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It does not help when the people making the rules, both parties, state, federal, and local aren’t following the same rules they want the public to follow.

djsamuel, DC-93, AvengerGuy and 3 others like this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And to add to my previous post, some news reporting shoulders a lot of blame too. Predictions of millions dead in the US. Never mentioning China when comparing numbers. Yes, a 100k people dead is a big deal. But the news made people expect worse. And they are still trying the scare tactics, saying the second wave will be much deadlier.

They do this with hurricanes too. Every storm is going to be the storm of the century. So people evacuate and it’s nothing. Then they don’t evacuate when it really is a bad storm.

19. aldo90731

There aren’t sufficient data points on many of these things, yet, to build accurate predictions.

Per the second wave being deadlier, that was indeed the case with the 1918 pandemic. Those are the only global pandemic records we have to draw projections from at this point.

I wouldn’t necessarily accuse the media of making things worse on purpose. But they can sensationalize things, or simplify things to the point that much of the context gets lost and open to all sorts of interpretation. Of course, our own attention span, too, has been shrinking. To the point that nowadays a video more than 5 minutes is considered “too long.”

#59 aldo90731, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  20. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

There was a prediction of 100K to 200K dead, with precautions. That has proven to be ballpark accurate.
    There was a prediction of 2M dead if NO precautions were taken. Given the high death rates in countries with poor medical care, limited or no precautions, that looks very believable, too. I don't see any exaggeration in the media. It was a sane warning.

KrisW, gforce2002, tlc and 2 others like this.