AF: Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today! | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw something quite concerning at the local dealer today!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by LouJC, May 16, 2020.

1. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

That is the constant US virus, l suppose:D

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Can we sue the Coronavirus? I wonder if it’s got any money...surely it MUST be an heir to the Corona beer empire? :D

page2171, tlc, djsamuel and 1 other person like this.
  3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

There was a photo circulating Wednesday that had someone with a portable grill cooking hot dogs with an open flame at Disney Springs. That's not putting a whole lot of faith in Disney's crowd control for me right now.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

True, and also false equivalence.

The grounds for a lawsuit would be if the owner of the business knew they were doing something that could endanger customers and did nothing about it. Examples would be someone running a restaurant after being formally warned that raw sewage was backing up into their potable water (my plumber has seen this — it's why the faucet is never below the high-water level in a sink or bathtub) or, perhaps, a barber breaking state law to give haircuts; the latter case might be questionable but one which would not be, is a barber giving haircuts, knowing he had COVID-19. (I am not accusing anyone of this, I am saying this would be a case of justifiable lawsuits.)

In short, yes, there are risks. The law requires that business owners take reasonable steps to mitigate those risks. Not extreme measures, but reasonable ones. If someone has tested positive, they should not be maskless and serving customers. If you know the cream cheese has been sitting outside since last week, you throw it away.

KrisW and Zagnut27 like this.
  5. WXman

WXman Active Member

More concerning is the Gladiators that have been sitting unmoved on dealer lots here for 11 months now.

I mean, literally unmoved. The gas is probably stale now.

6. aldo90731

And the tires are likely deformed, too.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Good point on the gasoline. We mentioned earlier that the $1/gallon gasoline prices were likely to clear out fuel before it went bad. Lots of people are going to screw up their fuel injectors over the next weeks. I'd hope dealers had someone moving those cars or boosted the tire pressure. (That's what I do when I put the Valiant away each winter.)

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Amazingly enough, when I started my Mustang after it sat dead in the driveway from September to February (maybe longer, I don’t recall), I put a new battery in and it started right up. The tires were low...and of course my compressor decided it was no longer going to work...so I pumped up all 4 tires with a bicycle pump. Yup, my new neighbors probably think I’m a lunatic. Forearms of STEEL!! :cool::p

I was concerned about the gas being bad, but it drove fine, and it was a full tank. Once I got the electrical gremlins sorted out (bad Sync module), it’s been driving fine. My mechanic gave it a looksee when it was in for the e-gremlins.

Sure, that’s just one instance...but it was sitting outside all winter unprotected, and it’s a 10 year old vehicle with 125k miles. Brand new vehicles would probably fare better, I would imagine. Though the thought did cross my mind about dealer lots.

9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

My 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sat a nearly a year on the lot. It had summer gas in it when I purchased it on a very cold day. It ran like crap and I got a really good deal. Two tanks of gas fixed it.

Right now I'm keeping my eye on a 2018 Challenger GT at the dealer where I bought my Avenger. They're starting to get similar Challengers as lease returns.

10. oharman

oharman Active Member

I just called my dealer about getting my state inspection and asked if they put plastic on anything and they told me they're not doing that anymore. Funny, they start to open things up in these states and everyone acts like the pandemic is over. Maybe I'll just wait on the inspection...we've been given 90 days past expiration from what I can find online so maybe I'll wait it out a little longer. I'm in WV btw...