AF: Scat Pack 392 horse power and cold air intakes | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scat Pack 392 horse power and cold air intakes

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by R/T Scat Pack, Mar 7, 2019.

1. R/T Scat Pack

R/T Scat Pack Member

On another forum there were 2 postings stating that because their Scat Packs were Shakers they had 500 horses. I have a Scat Pack Shaker as well but because the 392 comes with the Rhumbi intake as standard equipment than I assume that whether you have the Rhumbi intake or the Shaker intake it really means that the Scat Pack is 485 horses like the factory claims. Could somebody please clue me in as to the real answer?

Ryan likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not sure how much activity this forum section gets, so I'll tag @Mike V.

He has modified his 392, so he may know a bit about this.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Regardless of intake configuration, the 392 SRT engine used in all Scat Packs, Shaker or not, is factory rated at 485 horsepower.

There are multiple “factory intake configurations” or combinations of “factory intake configurations” for the 392:

1. Hellcat Air Catcher duct with Hellcat lower box
    2. Standard Mopar CAI
    3. Standard Mopar CAI with added Air Catcher Duct (Challenger Only)
    4. Mopar CAI airbox lid with Air Catcher Duct and hood duct (Challenger T/A only)
    5. Mopar CAI airbox lid (from T/A)
    6. Mopar CAI airbox lid (from T/A), Hellcat lower air box, and Air Catcher duct
    7. Shaker Mopar CAI
    8. Shaker Mopar CAI with added Air Catcher Duct (Challenger Only)
    9. Stock sealed air box with no holes or ducts
    10. Stock sealed air box with Air Catcher attachment hole but no duct (Same stock lower box as used in the Hellcat)

I currently have the Hellcat Air Catcher duct, Hellcat lower air box, and the Mopar CAI lid from a T/A on my Charger SRT 392.

Now for the reality of things. Based on typical vehicle wieght versus elapsed time calculations, the 392 SRT engine is more than likely the engine is underrated from the factory. Based on those calculations, the engine actually produced somewhere between 510-520 horsepower. The various “cold air intakes” are more about efficiency, volume, and most importantly engine noise than they are about making additional horsepower.

Mike

#3 Mike V., Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Junkman George, sickboy, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  4. stroudtom

Level 2 Supporter

So I'm good to go with the factory setup as in most cases with this motor.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Yes, that’s what I did. Most effective intake performance wise is probably the Legmaker.

Mike

6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Since Chrysler typically underrates its HP engines, 485 hp is probably "nominal". In these cars, since a CAI literally does nothing but make noise, a claim could be made that it adds, say, 15 hp, and whether it does or doesn't, it would be close to accurate.

7. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Redeye and demon made different numbers due to the hoods and dual snorkel hoods made more than standard hellcats. Reeks of marketing. I’m under the assumption that hellcat is ~725hp and always has been. 392 as said before,~ 510.
    Competition catches up or need an update, “raise” the horsepower
    Not complaining. Just find it amusing

8. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Are the 2019 shaker intakes all functional?

9. caine440

caine440 Well-Known Member

The Shaker on all Scat Packs are functional, alway have been.