AF: Sebring new 2.7 crate engine | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sebring new 2.7 crate engine

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by Panterasr9, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Did a replacement of the blown up engine in the sebring 2.7 sedan I bought.
    Pretty in depth job got the sebring for dirt cheap and going to use it as a commuter. The old engine had bent valves due to someone doing a shade tree water pump replacement. Anyway got the old engine out transferred all parts and back in. Still have to do the wiring harness and exhaust. Here is to the 28 mpg it should get on the highway.

Citation84 likes this.
  2. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

20200125_132446.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

This crate engine has a 3yr 100k warranty.
    I look forward to being one of the few new 2.7 v6s on the road. Pretty exciting stuff and it was a nice challenge from a mechanical standpoint. Removing the bumper and removing the engine and transmission together is by far the easiest way to do these engines. Anyway just showing one of my many mopar projects !

dodgeismycar likes this.
  4. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Impressive, engine work is on the one hand challenging but very rewarding. I did a top end overhaul on our old Chevrolet 4.3 in our boat and learned a lot.
    4.3 manifold removal.JPG 4.3 starboard cyl head removal.JPG installed reman cyl heads.JPG re-assembling the old 4.3 #2.JPG

Panterasr9 likes this.
  5. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Bravo. I subscribe to your insanity. If you like the car and it meets your needs, what an arbitrary guide says it's "worth" is immaterial.

So, how many people have asked you: "Why?": a Chrysler, b: a 2.7 Mopar V6 c: a crate engine FFS. I like your style

What year Sebring ?

I spent $1800 on a new head and all the incidentals on my 86 Olds Calais Tech 4 and never blinked. New paint last summer. On a car "worth" $500 according to "experts". I'll do the same when it comes to engine and trans. Just more fun than a new car.

Road trip from Tucson to Salt Lake and back prior to the new paint. Ran flawlessly, gratifying to go on a retro road trip. Many miles left in it at 130,000 current miles.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

What you get out of it besides some cool pix is knowledge in your head not everyone has. And can point to those pix and say "I did that!" It's especially satisfying if all you have done before is just basic maintenance and repairs like oil changes, tune ups, brake jobs, replace a radiator or 2. When I did my top end rebuild of the old Chevrolet 4.3 V6 (replaced both heads, head gaskets, upgraded exhaust system, etc) the repairs were necessitated by blown head gaskets and water in a cylinder. When I started it after the rebuild, it started up so fast it actually startled me! I kind of half-expected it to NOT start lol. First time I ever set the hydraulic lifters on an engine, I had done mechanical valve lifters many times before.
    The things I learned:
    Keep the old parts you will re-use organized and labeled, so the same rocker arm goes with the cyl it came from, pushrods, lifters etc. Clean, clean and clean some more. Get a good set of thread chasers to clean threads in the block for the cyl head bolts. Find a good machine shop to work with you will need their expertise. Learn how to check old parts, take em to the machine shop if you have any doubts. Get a good clicker torque wrench, much easier to use than the beam type. Learn how to check cyl heads and block decks for flatness using a straight edge and feeler gauges. Its not as hard as it seems. GM's spec is less than .003".
    A good electric impact gun works great for removing cyl head bolts, I did not break one even though this engine was raw water cooled in salt water for about 15 years before I had to take it apart.

Of course, these old school GM engines are far simpler to take apart and repair than just about everything that is being built and sold today, they are a backyard mechanic's dream, simple, rugged, with inexpensive parts everywhere. And I'm sure Mopar engines of the same vintage are about the same as are Fords, it just so happens because of the hot rod and marine industries, the small block Chevrolet in all its variants is as popular as ever, if not more so due to low cost.

Dropbox - top end rebuild 4.3 test run.MOV - Simplify your life (at https://www.dropbox.com/s/55j6h4dd1u8fv0k/top%20end%20rebuild%204.3%20test%20run.MOV?dl=0 )

#6 LouJC, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

At least 5 people saying why!? Haha I dont care I like having different cars then everyone else anyway. The Quad 4 is a beast great motor would not mind owning one at all. One thing I don't have is a car payment so jokes on them!

Citation84 likes this.
  8. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

It's alive and being test driven about 18 hours in it total. Alternator went bad during the warm up phase. Purchased a new one and put it in. driving great so far. proud to say i have completed this project!

chuzz likes this.
  9. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

I will be curious to how much life I get out of this engine as I know of no one foolish enough to put a reman engine in a 2005 sebring! Haha!
    I need to get 100k out of it we shall see!

Citation84 likes this.
  10. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Well the new engine has a blown head gasket straight from the factory. So not sure what I am going to do now. It's under warranty but the time and weekends spent make me question if I should abandon this project. Maybe I just got a bad one but it is not feeling good right now. At least I got to complete it and drive it.

11. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ouch! That sucks.

12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Man, if it's just ONE blown head gasket, I'd replace it. You're this far into it and you definitely KNOW what to do to replace it. It's STILL cheaper than another car and especially a NEW car with several years of payments. Dare to be different and fix it.

Citation84 likes this.
  13. manybrews

manybrews Well-Known Member

Im curious to know the supplier of the engine.
    I frankly wouldn't trust a company if their crate engine had a head gasket issue right out of the box.

I'm also a little concerned that it would in fact actually be a gasket. I have not taken apart a 2.7, but I'm betting they use MLS gaskets. And if that's the case, there's not much to fail there. I would bet more on the possibility of a bad machined surface, because the gasket is simply stamped steel and really cant fail without some severe conditions.
    I would think it much more likely the head or block isn't true. A MLS gasket needs a near perfect finish to work correctly.

14. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Yes it very well could be a crack in the block. I have a parts and labor warranty so I am going to give it another shot. This time one of my technicians is going to do it. I don't have the patience or the time to do it all over again. Hoping this is a fluke but if I got a 2nd engine that was faulty then I will go another direction and try to get my money back. Anyway for the short period I drove it I really liked it. Very smooth high revving engine.

Citation84 likes this.
  15. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

The road is yours !!!!!

16. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Best of luck!!

By reputation re manufactured Engines are a bit of a crap shoot.

Hopefully the second one works out!!

Thanks
    Randy

Panterasr9 likes this.