AF: Secret project.... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret project....

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by poorboy_616, Jan 8, 2020.

1. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Project code name?

Castiel.

Project vehicle?

ZJ

This will be a resto-mod.

More to follow.

2. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

First teaser pics of the rebuild.

1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo
    318ci V8.
    42RE trans
    NP249 transfer case
    Dana 30 front end
    Dana 35 rear end
    Some body damage here and there.
    From what I can tell 3” of suspension lift
    33x12.5/15 tires

Castiel was used, abused and left dead, then bought by people with no automotive knowledge or the desire to care for him.

His interior was stripped out, but most of the pieces are still here. He’ll need a driver side interior door panel, headliner and a few other bits and pieces.

I started the interior restoration by cleaning the center console. It’s got holes for what was an old school cell phone from the nineties (that harnesses is still intact and present.)

Tonight was spent evaluating interior trim pieces after a thorough inspection of his wire harness, which thankfully, except for the radio subharness is intact.

Engine runs strong and smooth. I will need to source a lower air box or a cold air intake kit as one of the things removed was the air filter box. Did I mention the previous owners didn’t care?

Transmission shifts hard and high in the rev range. Likely because of the 33” tall tires that the previous people put on him without regearing. I’ll be remedying that with a shorter tire and a fluid flush since the fluid isn’t looking so great.

Coolant flush is happening as well as all the basic maintenance items that should have been done long ago. I’ll need to source a lower radiator core support (I don’t know why they removed it), radiator (I don’t trust this one), all the hoses, thermostat and a heater core if need be.

He’ll be visiting a local body shop to get estimates on getting panels straight and making sure his body is still straight since I found evidence of an accident in the past.

He will be getting aftermarket front and rear bumpers as the OE units are not desirable to us. We want some heavier metal front and rear, as well as proper recovery points.

While he won’t be an off highway rig with us, we do live at the beach at will be taking him out on the sand once in a while.

Attached Files:

Doug D likes this.
  3. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

This morning was spent on visual inspection of the harness from Underhood to inner body. The doors have broken wires inside the rubber boots, these will be an easy repair.

The stereo wiring has been cut, but again it will be an easy repair.

The amp is present under the back seat, but bypass plugs have been installed, I’ll have to pull it and inspect for damage to the boards inside before I put it back in circuit again.

i will have to run some new wiring to eliminate the wires that were damaged from the previous idiots, but everything except the radio harness looks intact.

Tomorrow evening I will dive into testing each and every wire with a DVOM now that I have a copy of the FSM.

I’m not putting a battery into this Jeep again until I know why all three main fuses (that are present) were blown and then bypassed.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A V8 ZJ should have a 44RE/46RE transmission. The 42RE was behind the 4.0L 6-cyl.

5. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Thank you. I stand corrected.