Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice on 300M dash pad replacement

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by ScottB, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Has anyone ever replaced the entire dash pad on a 2004 300M or similar vehicle (Concorde/Interpid)? I have a split in mine that seems to be growing by the day. I've consulted a couple of our vendors that recondition used cars for us and they say replacement is the only solution. It doesn't look like it's a very easy task, but I can't stand looking at it anymore. Any experience/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    ScottB

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It is a big job. Give yourself a day or two for it being your first time. I have R&R instrument panels many times for HVAC service. Disconnect the battery and remove the center console. You can drop the steering column down onto the seat and cover it with a towel to prevent scratches instead of removing it. Cover the shifter to prevent it from scratching the dash as you pull it rearward. Some operations may require a helper.
    If something doesn't move, double-check the reason why. It is easy to unintentionally break plastic parts.
    Use the pictures and procedures in the service manual starting on p. 23-47. Large 53mb file:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...H_300M_Concorde_Intrepid/19071-lh_intlpdf.pdf

3. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Thanks for the info.! You're right, it sounds like a big job. As much as I don't like looking at the now 10 inch long split in the dash pad, I'm not sure I want to tackle something that involves dropping the steering column. I try to do as much work on my vehicles as I can, but I'm no expert. I do my own brakes, shocks, plugs, oil changes, sway bars & links, water pumps, replaced power window motors/regulators, etc. But this sounds like it may be beyond my skill set.....and I'm nervous about the passenger side airbag under the pad. I don't want to trigger that. Having a dealer do this would cost me a fortune. Might be time to order one of those carpeted dash pads to hide it instead.

4. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Where I live we have guys that repair vinly. Or get a dash cover.

5. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

OK, thinking about replacing dash with junkyard one. Is the Concorde dash the same as the 300M's dash? I know the Intrepid was different.

6. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

Concorde or LHS dash. Not a lot of 300Ms in the local junkyards (for whatever that is worth). The job looks to be an all day duration (or more, not including any spraying to change the color of the dash if needed), and of course you are gambling that the next one won't start splitting the next day. But not the worst job I have tackled (so far).

Plus are there any known differences between the various years of production (99 -04)?

7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

This is what I hate about newer cars . It cost a ton or hours of work on what should be a simple job.

8. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I pulled the dash the first time in about 3-4 hours. The second car I did, I got it out in under 2 hours. Honestly it may not have even been an hour. An 18 volt driver, with the appropriate 10mm, phillips, and 13mm (IIRC) bits will help a lot. There's a good write-up on the LH forums. As long as you D/C your negative terminal first, it's easy peasy (as in no airbag fears).
    LH series dash removal. (at http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?5399-LH-series-dash-removal )
    I did NOT remove the seats on mine, pretty sure I had to pull the console both times though.

#8 Tomguy, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

OK, has any one tried a CLOVERLAY plastic cover instead of replacing the dash. Expensive, at over $200 delivered, but no removal and installation of the entire dash.

Second question: if I were to go with this system I would spray it to match the existing color. How do I determine the color code for the upper part of the dash, which does not match the color code of the lower section or seats?

10. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

Sandstone?

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

What is your trim code? It should be on your drivers door sticker and underhood metal tag.

12. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

TRM: NLL2. I know the seats are light taupe, and the upper color appears to be Sandstone.

13. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

And of course, there are no references anywhere to a 2004 Chrysler interior code of "NL". Maybe my car was a one-off? :)

14. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

Turns out that neither Chrysler or other resources know what the upper color is. The NL means leather seats and is not a color code. However, there is a good auto paint store nearby and I will match it against their selection of SEM spray paint.

15. tlewis

tlewis Active Member

and the answer is: L5 Taupe. A shame that that info is not recorded elsewhere.

ImperialCrown likes this.