NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio confirms media went out of context with VW,defends killing Dart,200

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Alexbucks, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

Again, who said to You that Dodge, Jeep, ... will not have a Giorgio based vehicle before 4 years from now?

Prabhjot and Alexbucks like this.
  2. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

It been said the Grand Cherokee is end of the decade.

3. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

Catia is a software solution of Dassault Systemes, FCA uses Siemens NX since some years, other clients of Siemens are, for example, GM and Daimler.
    In IVECO, that was part of Fiat group till 2012, instead they use CATIA.

As always is the one in front of the monitor that makes the difference.

FGA cheerleader likes this.
  4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

Sub-prime staple, manager's demos (because we weren't worried about not having one to sell), service loaners - I've sold one client a 200C that he had built online prior to coming in. One.

5. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

I don't take an insult as praise.
    Nope this is the first time you actual lowered your "Sergio-Bashing" to understand,but nevertheless.
    The other brands can't, nor should get platforms at the same time as Alfa ( that's one of the mistakes with Cadillac). Dodge's first Giorgio product is the new Crossover.

Alfa worldwide is going to need lots of Crossovers, while Grand Cherokee is the heart of both Jeep as well Chrysler's profitability ( as is Wrangler too) and needs more production capacity . So it not " make an equivalent to serve Europe", (the Grand Cherokee needs to be the flagship of Jeep Internationally too), but is more make production for both brands Globally.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Prabhjot likes this.
  6. DAGAR

DAGAR Member

Eric, I am going to drop the conversation. I don't have the time nor patience to try to help you understand the reality of the situation. If you choose to believe that people like me who have run global organizations make decision based upon favoritism and whim, that is your right, but I can assure you that you would also be flat wrong. If I were running FCA and followed my emotions I would have done as you said kept 200 and Dart alive and made additional investment in Belvidere and then kicked myself everyday for not utilizing that plant properly. It's about logic and financial metrics and those who actually run companies do not have the luxury of emotional decisions.

7. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

As one great lady stated...''When they go low, we go high"...:D

8. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Member

Plants have only been opened, invested in and employment expanded in the usa and Canada. Right now,as we type, too.

Alfa is if anything delayed in the extreme: Fca needs the luxe space entry against the Germans on a global rather than usa basis....yesterday.

The usa alone as a perspective on the affairs of a as yet not globalised enough firm like fca ( unlike, let's see now: every other large firm/brand!) is frankly: entirely mistaken, EVEN 'accounting' for 'patriotic' sentimenatility about the old all-American or all-Italiano natures of old mopar and old fiat group.

And @Erik Latranyi what if we include in our financial discussions the evident elephants in the allpar room: the euro is ultra cheapening relative to the strong $, fca's financing costs are plummeting for the first time since the 2008 takeover/merger/reinvention of both the f and the c, share price soaring too, and the fact that Maserati alone is commonly said to be 'worth' 3 billion$, I for one believe Alfa will be worth a similarly major amount well before 2020 IF as will happen it is part of a valuation exercise for a 'merger' and/or a Ferrari-like spinoff of some brands, who knows maybe including an only NOW not-'sub prime' dodge, with Chrysler, lancia and possibly fiat being net net 'worth' not much at all. Finance discounts the future!

THAT above all is why alfa is absolutely essential and a priority alongside maserati, jeep and ram while the others still get 'holding operation'/focussing investments and are not starved at all ( c pacifica, huge dodge marketing spend, finally after 10+ years fiat LatAm linep slow delayed renewal...)

From this perch in India: believe me Marchionne has been vastly more not less ruthless with the fiat brand and plant here, to the point of literally killing it off here, imo very avoidably: to replaced by Jeep. So excuse me for finding the anti-marchionne 'alternate narrative, often of alternate, conveniently counter factual facts' on allpar both ironic and quixotic.

It' fun, sure, but given that I am going to buy aJeep in India soon, ridiculously: for the first time ever in one of its original arenas of action, ww2 India, while also being unallowed by Marchionne to also replace our family's 3 generation long purchases and investments in 'Fiat' is not fun. But since the whole thing is not a passion play or a blame game: it's alright! Cannot wait for the new compass to launch here in August. Btw, am afraid almost everyone in Asia pac would buy an alfa or maserati long before they even consider a dodge or Chrysler. THAT does have plenty to do with the all American discussions on allpar about no new dodges yet, no full linep for a usa only Chrysler.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Decades worth of data was lost because ther are no conversion tools from CATIA to NX, so no it's not just the person in front do the monitor.

Erik Latranyi and aldo90731 like this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

This proves an elitism that should never exist in any world....business, politics or otherwise.......especially when the "other brands" funded those platforms.

But you can hold to your elitism as you wish. It just means a quicker end for everyone.

valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

...yet she lost to a man with common business sense.

Citation84, dakota21 and DarkSky like this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

There are conversion tools to import in NX from CATIA.
    In large organizations the data are not lost.
    New software is generally introduced in new projects.

Do You really think that Daimler has lost all its data now that switched from Catia to NX?

It is the engineer that design, not the software, otherwise why is needed a person?
    Are all tools that made easier the process of design, data sharing, simulations, ... But all that can be done, slower, by persons with a pencil and paper, maybe will think more before design something (and many times with better results).

Prabhjot and FGA cheerleader like this.
  13. jimboy

jimboy Member

Thanks for your responses, Freshforged and MJAB, I don't know enough about either system to make a guess whether it had an impact on the design/manufacturing processes or not. It sounds like there are arguments that go both ways vis-a-vis either system. I do think though, that there is much truth in the statement that it does matter who's in front of the monitor/or drawing board as well!

14. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

Not from the version Chrysler was using, since Daimler refused to ok the upgrade IIRC. Never said one was more important than the other, but the software package can be critical to maintaining institutional momentum, or losing it due to unwise migration paths.

15. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Well, I wouldn't rush to praise him that much, either. It was a race to the bottom; he just had a plan that worked better.

GasAxe likes this.