Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio Marchionne talks about Lancia brand...

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Medicin-Man, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

2. abgwin

abgwin Well-Known Member

This really isn't a surprise. While the Lancia marque has a gloried past, it has been allowed to languish and no longer holds the cachet it once did. Sergio respects Lancia's heritage, but Alfa is more valuable than Lancia (since the US never really 'got' Lancia) and so is the beneficiary of the investment. Maserati didn't need rehabilitation like Alfa and Lancia do, it just needed more product - which it got, on the cheap - and sales have soared.

Let's hope Alfa returns in as big a way so that perhaps Lancia can be properly reborn again some day as well. Just not right now.

BASONE88 and Morty like this.
  3. Morty

Morty Active Member

So l shall have to hang on to my Thesis for years to come.:(

4. Medicin-Man

Hello,

well, I can´t help myself but it seems that Sergio Marchionne loves Alfa Romeo. There aren´t any major differences betwenn the state of the two. Few years ago Alfa Romeo was in a desperate situation. Then came the 4C and brand image suddenly popped up.

Alfa Romeo got the right product at the right time. Lancia could be given the same treatment. One car as an instant hit and everything could be completely upside down. Ironically, Lancia´s future is in Alfa Romeo´s hands. When Alfa Romeo delivers decent sales figures, Lancia could be reborn.

In terms of marketing, Lancia has certain room for improvement. Currect management has done very little to promote the brand. Viral ads, social networking...All these are somewhat missed opportunities.

Once again, one product could very well be the difference between living and dying. And I can imagine Fulvia to be the mesiah...Just look at the buzz that the 2003 Lancia Fulvia Concept created at the time.

5. Medicin-Man

Hello,

you definitely should. It could be very valuable asset. A collector´s dream.

Mario9 likes this.
  6. Morty

Morty Active Member

Oh, l will. So far it has only done 140.000 kms, full service history, and it is my daily driver besides the Ypsilon.

7. Medicin-Man

God, I can only envy you. I am nowhere in the position to buy a car. I am considering buying used Lybra as my first car, though.

8. Morty

Morty Active Member

Why not, l like the Lybra. It is like the Thesis, a bit quirky, but charming. l must take some pics of the Thesis one day and post them.

9. Medicin-Man

Everything starts with a vision. Remember, Vincenzo Lancia had a vision. He wouldn´t have imagined how long it would last. I sincerely hope there will be someone with a vision again.

Vincenzo Lancia proved many people were wrong. There must be someone who is able to prove that once again to Sergio Marchionne.

10. Medicin-Man

So many people laugh at Lancia...But I have read several long-term tests of Lybra so far. Journalists tend to give that car a lot of credit. Lancia used to be about craziness. Well, the very same craziness often produced iconic cars such as the Stratos, Fulvia, 037 or Delta HF Integrale.

Morty likes this.
  11. Morty

Morty Active Member

Well, we have to admit that Alfa Romeo as a brand has a far bigger international recognition than Lancia. Furthermore, shortly after SM took the reins, rumours would have it that he "hated" Lancia.

12. Morty

Morty Active Member

Why not, l like the Lybra, it is like the Thesis, a bit quirky design wise, but it sets it apart from all the other dull and boring cars on the road.

13. Medicin-Man

I actually disagree. Lancia is a well-known automaker as well. Many journalists keep mentioning rally icons and industry firsts Lancia has produced over the years.

To me, the substantial bet on the Alfa Romeo revival is based solely on Sergio Marchionne´s personal preferences.

And to conclude my post, Audi used to be in a far worse situation. Now look at it...If FCA shows the same commitment and conviction as in Alfa Romeo´s case, Lancia can very well flourigh again, perhaps as a little more lower-profile automaker.

Morty likes this.
  14. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Or Lancia can go the way of Plymouth with people pining for a new Roadrunner that will never come. Once a brand completely dies it is very difficult to brig back but it is possible.

15. Medicin-Man

Hello John,

I must agree, unfortunately. Lancia isn´t dead yet, though. That´s the difference. The article is quite peculiar.

Sergio Marchionne would be willing to invest in Lancia if he had the funding needed for the brand´s overhaul. Alfa Romeo has to be an instant hit, otherwise Lancia´s demise is inevitable.

I must say that there´s a serious issue with the strategy Lancia has today...Limited editions of one particular model are certainly better than nothing. I would rather see just one concept car to create buzz and test the market reactions. The 2003 Lancia Fulvia created a lot of buzz, that model still poses an opportunity.

16. Medicin-Man

By the way, what interior coulour has your Thesis? And how about the engine?

I´ve checked used car market recently only to discover one Thesis with indigo-leather interior and a V6 engine. Not very suitable for daily driving provided you donť have that high income.

17. Morty

Morty Active Member

Exterior, dark blue metallic, interior dove grey leather, engine 3.0 V6.

18. Medicin-Man

Lovely...It feels like you´re satisfied. Well, I found an offering...1995 Lancia Thema with the 2.0L Turbo (i.e. engine). Judging from the photos it´s in a very good shape...Quite low mileage as well. What do you think?

19. Morty

Morty Active Member

Well, that is the last series Thema with the 16V engine. Great car, and fast!

20. Medicin-Man

Yes, I noticed that. Have you seen the Petrolicious video about the Lancia 037? I am Woody Allen among drivers as well. I ride a bike faster than I drive cars. :)