Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio Marchionne talks about Lancia brand...

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Medicin-Man, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I just have to point out that SM has yet to fail in a financial promise to the bankers. That’s why spending is so tight. They need to hit their numbers in a shrinking market where incentives are piling up. The purse strings are likely to be loosened as soon as they are net-debt-free.

BASONE88, danbek, AlfaCuda and 2 others like this.
  2. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

Really ? To you maybe. It's all doom & gloom just 'cause the brass thinks Lancia is a dead brand walking (at least for now...) and imho rightly so ? Stop bitchin' about please.

#1362 romalerig, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    BASONE88 likes this.
  3. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

Current financials may not mean much when it comes to long-term outlook, especially in this industry, or technology-intensive industries in general. If you think I wrote it just because of Lancia, you're horribly mistaken. Fortunately, we do have a lot to choose from here in Europe. FCA isn't the only automaker in Europe. By the way, if you think I'm complaining around, what makes you read it? We could at least watch our language. To your last point, Lancia IS NOT in such a dire situation for the lack of brand equity or something like that. It's there because of many incompetent managers who haven't been able to leverage it for the good of the group as a whole. If it's so useless, then kill it altogether rather than pouring salt into open wounds of Lancisti which is what both Sergio Marchionne and Alfredo Altavilla do. Sometimes, silence is golden. :) Of course, it's just a brand and not a matter of life and death. We will move on, eventually. However, FCA doesn't offer anything interesting here in Europe in terms of style, content and, grrr, price. I would be willing to consider a Fiat, but not the silly 500 and its spin-offs. The upcoming Argo would be a different story, but it may not come to Europe.

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

AM has made it clear that he will not kill Lancia, nor will he resurrect it. He has said multiple times that the restoration of Lancia is a job for his successor. He has hinted that there is a path being laid now for that resurrection.

It almost certainly won't have a rally machine, though, that is where my interest ends.

BASONE88, Prabhjot and AlfaCuda like this.
  5. Medicin-Man

I must have missed something, then. I've never heard something positive about Lancia from Sergio Marchionne. :) Anyway, I still maintain that this dire situation is Lancia's golden opportunity. FCA can now shape the brand towards roads less travelled such as alternative propulsion, funky styling or digital revolution. Rallying should be put to rest for good. It was a magnificent era for the brand, but it's all over now, baby blue...

6. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Well apparently 2019/20 will bring in Europe: an all-new 500 (probably larger, possibly 5-door as well, even as possibly the current 'little one' sells on), an all-new Panda and Panda Cross, closely related to the former, also presumably a bit larger, a Jeep a/b suv presumably closely linked to the Panda Cross. these may also be related somewhat to the Argo cuv (x6u) and/or the next Brazilian Uno (currently a sort of, stylistically speaking only, outsized panda, as it is.)

All these models may approach the dimensions of the Punto, perhaps if not longer then maybe a bit wider, like the Argo, and in any case: roomier?

Hence why NO argo for europe to replace the Punto, since all these models will be 'replacing' it? There was also a confession from marchionne a year or two ago that they were indeed considering a 'tiny' 'topolino' ev citycar BELOW in size the current or the next 500.

The large sharing across these diverse and usp-high models could mean that a Lancia a/b Ypsilon+ (italy-only) would be do-able financially speaking?

One supposes a lot of this stuff will be timed first and foremost as per Alfa's need for the current Panda plant to switch over, as also finality on emissions regs, new taxation/ev-subsidy policies, cafe like rules etc, esp via the EU/European commission. The small 1.3 diesel engine is gone soon in any case.

ergo, nothing before 2019 at the earliest?

What FIAT needs urgently, though, is that Tipo-philosophy FIAT c-suv (a new Freemont), twinned like the 500x-Renegade pair to the new Jeep Compass (notably cheaper of course)?

Deckard_Cain and Medicin-Man like this.
  7. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Sounds a bit like Peugeot in the early 90s, with the A segment 106 and C segment 306 de facto replacing the B segment 205 (which didn't get a proper successor until the late 90s).

8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Fiat "Topolino" test mules were on streets in 2008 and also in february 2009, based on shortened architecture of Panda/500.
    Production had to start in 2010 (source italian magazine Quattroruote that is well informed).

Initial test mules
    [​IMG]

February 2009 test mules
    [​IMG]

There was also the hybrid version with the TwinAir engine coupled to a new gearbox with the eletric motor integrated (or coupled to it, other sources / patents).

Quattroruote article of that time.
    [​IMG]

And it was also in the investors slides of that time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AlfaCuda, Prabhjot and Medicin-Man like this.
  9. Medicin-Man

Hello,

to all Photoshop enthusiasts, could you share your visions of what the rumoured Lancia Ypsilon XL might look like? :) I look forward to seeing your renders (if there are any, of course)...

10. boblonben

boblonben MOPAR Guy
    Level III Supporter

Had a Lancia when I was stationed in Germany in the early 80's. 4 door sports sedan, 2L four, great car, drove it all over, never a problem with it. If I could have brought it back to the states I would have but ... At an older point in time Lancia was considered a respectable brand with lots of character. Would be nice to see that return.

quadamage76 and Medicin-Man like this.
  11. Medicin-Man

It’s fairly easy to understand why even judging from this video...:)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-ozZrdvwI

#1371 Medicin-Man, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  12. Medicin-Man

Hello,

guess which FCA brand made a huge splash at the 2017 Goodwood Festival of Speed? :)

[​IMG]

13. Medicin-Man

KrisW and AlfaCuda like this.
  14. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

As the first European Firefly deployment, that probably deserves a thread of its own...

15. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Well, it sure wasn't an Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio!!!! LOL They wouldn't have been able to start it OR drive it!

Medicin-Man likes this.
  16. Medicin-Man

It's strange. The Alfa Romeo 156 and Lancia Lybra were technically related vehicles, yet, the latter proved much more reliable, for some reason. I would like to know how the Lancia Ypsilon copes in this regard compared with its sibling, the Fiat 500...

17. Bican

Bican Member

It is very hard to tell as Lancia Ypsilon is sold mainly and now only in Italy. We bought one of the last in our country before they pulled the plug.
    Both cars are made on the same line in Poland. Panda was moved for political reason to Italy and most likely will go back.
    Ypsilon is our second car for my wife. She loves it though initially being sceptical. We bought the car in 2014. The only warranty claim was one of the rear speakers. It is funny as it gets serviced in Jeep dealership. You should see Ypsilon in the service bay Grand Cherokees around. :)
    Lancias tend to be more reliable than Alfas. I believe it boils down to a different kind of usage the cars see.
    Radovan

18. Medicin-Man

I reckon you're finally another member from Czech Republic, right? :) Anyway, I would say that most of the problems with that Alfa Romeo were related to the engines, the cursed first-gen TwinSparks. Lancias used much sturdier engines from the i.e. line-up instead. By the way, I'm glad you like the Ypsilon. One parks quite nearby. It's a cute little thing, especially the current version. Unfortunately, one person couldn't quite understand the brand's true self. And all we're left with are memories.

jimboy likes this.
  19. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

When I am in Hungary and see Ypsilons, I always think of this thread, @Medicin-Man !!!

jimboy and Medicin-Man like this.
  20. Bican

Bican Member

Yes, I'm from Czech Republic. :) Initially there were problems with TwinSparks. They are revy engines and sensitive to oil. I believe after 2002 they are actually reliable ones but need proper maintence especially oil changes and oil checks if you trash them. Our main car is Alfa Romeo 147 JTD with basic 8 valve engine. At a time I could not find a TwinSpark with maintenance record and went for simple diesel instead. The car was cheap due to scratches and dents all over the place. It is imported as used from Italy. Otherwise it is rust free and so far mechanically sound. Before it I drove company cars, Alfa Romeo Giulietta, FIAT 500L Living, Volkswagen Passat, Ford Focus .... Alfa is simply lovely car and no one can not touch it. :)
    Radovan

Morty and Medicin-Man like this.