Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio Marchionne talks about Lancia brand...

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Medicin-Man, Oct 15, 2014.

1. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Former TwinSpark driver here - I had two 147s (a 2002 and a 2007). The earlier car really liked to drink oil; the later one was much better behaved.

And speaking of CZ, the longest trip I ever took in my 147 (1.6 TwinSpark) was halfway across Europe from Ireland to Czech Republic, and it didn't miss a beat.

Medicin-Man likes this.
  2. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

how did you find that Lancia is more reliable? any sources?

3. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

1st gen twin spark was ok as its Alfa Romeo engine basically so its bulletproof. Variable valve timing system was only problem in my i2nd gen Twin spark (16 valve) , and of course very short toothbelt change interval, this engine has lots of belt failures... 1st JTS was /is very problematic engine, maybe worst of any engine used in Alfa. . Anyway most of Alfa engine problems appeared after FCA started to use Fiat engines as base.....

AlfaCuda likes this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Their American-sale products must have gone to Fiat engines earlier than in Europe ;)

Judas Shuttlesworth likes this.
  5. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

The information comes from local used car dealers and authorities. The very same sources actually tend to praise the Lybra's quality and reliability and it's often presented as one example that Italian cars aren't just rust buckets.

6. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

so no real info, I tough so, because Lancia is sold basically only in Italia, no real numbers are available, ofc is possible its better but who really knows. Lancia used some other engines, so there might be some better one. Interior quality seems to better than in same age Alfas, but thats the intention because Lancia is more "premium" and Alfa is more Sporty oriented

7. Medicin-Man

Is there any more real information than information reported by owners themselves? That's what it is. Owners' experience concentrated in one place. Other than that, we pretty much agree with each other.

8. Medicin-Man

Unbelievable! We have surpassed 100k views. Big thanks to everyone involved in this thread. I really do appreciate your insights, support and even down-to-Earth criticism. Hopefully, this thread won’t be just a kingdom of hopes and dreams. Perhaps, our beloved brand hasn’t faded away for good. :)

AlfaCuda and jimboy like this.
  9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

JTS (Jet Thrust Stoichiometric), which were presented in 2001 and put in the market, had many technical innovations vs. TwiSpark ones.

They are direct injection engines, homogeneous charge for most of the time, but stratified at lower of 1500 rpm. To note that engines had to meet certain emissions levels, for example the ones of NOx, and so have to use several emissions control systems as well as the gasoline of the time that was not ultra-low sulfur.

For the time, being naturally aspirated engines, they had very high power per liter, 61 kW (81.8 HP) per liter.

The 2.0 is based on Twin Spark 2.0, that is part of "Pratola Serra" modular engines, while the 1.9, 2.2 and V6 3.2 are based on GM engines.

The JTS engine family is defined its head, not by its block.

[​IMG]

More techniical data can be be found in this article (in italian).
    Cuori Alfisti - tecnica (at http://www.cuorialfisti.com/tecnica/jts.htm )

#1389 MJAB, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    AlfaCuda likes this.
  10. Andy69

Andy69 Active Member

yep, but the 1st gen JTS used in Alfa 156 is kinda "test" engine it has quite a lot problems. Execcesive oil use, lambda problems etc. Those newer ones used in 159 seems to be lot better.-

quadamage76 and AlfaCuda like this.
  11. Medicin-Man

jimboy and AlfaCuda like this.
  12. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Lancia Ypsilon - Final Edition, perhaps? :(

13. Medicin-Man

Sergio Marchionne stated that at least one FCA brand would go electric. Of course, one brand that has already been confirmed is Maserati. However, Lancia could easily be another given the current status. Actually, the Ypsilon would be a great EV, especially the rumoured Super Ypsilon. I happen to see lots of BMW i3s around here, after all.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  14. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Lancia could become a plush-trim-level plus (mild? strong?) hybrid variant, and strictly a variant, of current or future FIATs? Am thinking ex-Italy, europe-only of course. 'Lancia' will be to some future 'FIAT'-s with respect to hev stuff and soft, plush etc trim, only, as Abarth is to FIAT (except that Abarth-s are heavily re-engineered as well)? Although they'd have to badge them not Lancia but FIAT 'Tributo Lancia' or some such! ;-)

15. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Reducing a brand to a mere trim level is to say that the brand is superfluous. In other words, not a very good idea, in fact, shutting the brand down entirely would be a more dignified fate.

Morty and Medicin-Man like this.
  16. Medicin-Man

According to rumours coming from FCA's sales network, we should hear a thing or two about our beloved brand in September. But, that's not the best thing. In a few years, FCA will announce its new product plan and Auto.it claims Lancia could be a part of that plan. One plus one equals two, right? September should be the month, in which Lancia will present another restyling for the Ypsilon. I can imagine it's meant to keep it afloat until the latest product plan is launched. Facelifts usually last for two or three years, so, that could be an option. The only real threat would be its crash worthiness. Even the current version is hardly a pinnacle of automotive safety.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  17. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

With Maserati's and now seemingly Alfa Romeo's successful relaunch the likelihood of attention to Lancia should become important I would guess.

BASONE88 and Medicin-Man like this.
  18. Medicin-Man

To be quite honest, Maserati is a much safer bet than Alfa Romeo. Naturally, there's still a long way to go for Maserati, but it's way longer for Alfa Romeo. The author of the article on Auto.it is quite right. FCA have enough technology and platforms to relaunch Lancia too. However, marketers have to do their homework right this time around. I can only repeat what I've said numerous times. Lancia has lots of storied nameplates like the Delta. Especially the Delta could prove vital for Lancia's relaunch. And FCA's top brass know that too.

Donte Lindsey and AlfaCuda like this.
  19. Bican

Bican Member

I believe the last restyling of the Ypsilon was in 2015. It seems unlikely they would do another so soon. The new Ypsilon was originally launched in 2011 AFAIK. They might introduce Firefly engines though.
    Radovan

Medicin-Man, Lampredi and AlfaCuda like this.
  20. BASONE88

Supporter

Alternative propulsion is typically expensive, appeals to a limited audience, and equates to some sort of sacrifice(I guess they could go into the bicycle business). Funky styling can be a double-edged sword. I believe all manufacturers are - already - fully committed to cutting-edge-digital-technology(hard to stand apart there).

Lancia's racing heritage is the only reason I even know of the brand(same with Alfa). I apologize for my seemingly ignorant perspective. But my point is; IMHO, racing(rallying) is all that will save the brand!

Medicin-Man likes this.