AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yesterday, Reuters quoted Sergio Marchionne as saying that he was not in merger talks with anyone at the moment. The FCA CEO said any partner would have to have a multi-brand strategy, ruling out Ford. FCA has, Mr. Marchionne said, chosen to “go it alone,” partly because other automakers’ offers were not attractive. Mr. Marchionne said he was talking with other companies about contract manufacturing of small and midsize cars in or for the US (Reuters said […]
    Read the whole post here.

dennisimperial likes this.
  2. aldo90731

Every time he opens his mouth I feel depressed.

He reminds me of the girl sitting alone waiting for someone to ask her to dance on prom night.

Why won't you dance with me?
    [​IMG]

#2 aldo90731, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Let Honda make them. Even if they're badged as Chryslers, they should be good cars. Lol

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian Car Freak

CR will find a fault on the Chrysler model, of course.

Medicin-Man, jken02, XRT2SRT and 10 others like this.
  5. BASONE88

Supporter

It's a confirmation, at least, of some things - long suspected. I have thought - long range - some future aspirations, might suffer.

The name of the game is Economies-of-Scale closely shadowed by Cash-Flow.

FCA-US's growth has been profound! And it has helped all sides of the house..but it isn't enough, especially, considering Sergio's aspirations. But look, all in all, growth has been good. Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and FIAT are all experiencing a resurgence and some degree of relevance again.

One thing for sure; his current predicament isn't from a lack of trying. I think he gets points for trying.

6. Robert Johnson

There are companies interested in Jeep and Ram but nobody wants anything to do with SM and Fiat and its debt.

dennisimperial likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

He just said they have no plans now to merge, and that they were asked to dance by several boys but didn't find them attractive enough to get out onto the floor.

Sorry... this isn't bad news.

8. aldo90731

The sad truth is a Chrysler-badged Honda wouldn't sell nearly as well, nor be able to charge nearly the same price. We saw this first-hand with the Sterling and the Isuzu Rodeo-based Passport.

jerseyjoe and Prabhjot like this.
  9. aldo90731

He gets unsuitable offers in part because he keeps placing FCA in a position of weakness every chance he gets.

10. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

From Reuters:

Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne says:

* he is "close to Suzuki, Mazda, but not close enough" to send either a letter proposing a tie-up like he had to GM

* willing to continue collaborate with Suzuki, Mazda on individual projects Further company coverage: (Reporting by Milan newsroom)

A collaboration with Mazda for a Dart replacement would be fantastic in my opinion.

UN4GTBL, danbek, edgecrusher and 2 others like this.
  11. badgerbeerman

badgerbeerman Well-Known Member

The main thing that makes me nervous is FCA has a huge amout of debt. No ther major automaker wants to take that on. He also needs to stop talking about mergers,delays,etc.

XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL, willy4110 and 3 others like this.
  12. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Mazda is churning out some great products with no sales to show of it. It's crazy Volkswagen is outselling them even with dieselgate going on. Their product know-how would be great for a future 200 and 100.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I am not buying the position of weakness thing. Analysts can see the debt and balance sheets. He's exceeded profit and debt expectations every year (even meeting the plan does that). Ram and Jeep are stronger than ever in sales and Dodge has a fine demographic for once. The new tech coming will finally resolve some of the nagging problems - other than the seeming inability to make cars that don't squeak, rattle, or click after a few years (or months in the case of some Fiats).

The biggest Chrysler weakness right now other than reliability/perceptions of reliability is the four cylinder engines, IMHO, and that is being addressed... perhaps not soon enough.

Bigun426, danbek, jerseyjoe and 7 others like this.
  14. Ian

Ian Car Freak

The only bad news I see out of all of this is that he makes it look like a Dart and 200 is a failure. Dart could be easily updated.

15. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

If Chrysler starts selling rebadged Hondas or Mazdas, I'll just go buy the real thing from Honda or Mazda. Honda isn't going to want to play that game... why take away from their own sales for what inevitably will be less profit? Mazda, maybe, because it would mean more volume for them. Suzuki is probably the best match because you can't buy a Suzuki in the US.

16. aldo90731

He creates the perception of weakness every time he sends emails asking for a merger, brings up the topic of mergers in press conferences, talks about product delays, talks about Dart being on its last legs, talks about 200 being a flop, then about 200 having "a few useful years left".

I mean, seriously, does he not realize how his comments are taken by customers? If I were on the market for a compact or a midsize, why would I even want to put my money on an FCA sedan...other than a bargain deal?

Even if we were to assume for a second that the average buyer doesn't pay attention to these things, the mainstream press has been seizing on these headlines and painting FCA as an automaker at-risk. For anyone looking to buy a car that has to last 7+ years, none of this is helping.

And then there's the pathetic state in which FIAT is perceived in South America...but I repeat myself.

#16 aldo90731, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

They continue to sell the Journey which hadn't been updated in an even longer time than the Dart. And it doesn't sell that many more units than the Dart yet it is considered a "success". Is it more profitable because it is made in Mexico? What gives? I still think with making certain tech standard and a new marketing message they could give it another try... Same goes for the 200. The 8.4 UConnect is such a gem. What if it was standard?

UN4GTBL and Ian like this.
  18. BGWheelhorse

BGWheelhorse Well-Known Member

And just make the 200 with the 3.6 standard too.

19. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

You all are assuming Mazda has the capacity to make a rebadged vehicle for FCA. Last I heard, Mazda small cars were selling well for Mazda.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If Dart is near the end of its normal lifespan (which has only been 4 years), I guess I'm out of luck on ever buying a new one. I can't afford a new car for about 3-4 more years. I won't buy a partner's rebadge. If I'm forced into a Mazda or Honda to get what I want, I'll buy that label and not a version that happens to have an FCA badge on it. :(