AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Misinformation no, pop out a hint got it. Don't like it but I don't run the show. Guess i'll go live in the past. Helping to fix up a 52 DeSoto coupe closer to my style than a CUV. Idea of a 200mph Suv scares me anyway.

2. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

Well, there was this:

"The last-minute withdrawal of the proposed near full-size Alfa Alfetta."

Has the future E-segment Alfa been axed? (Or just postponed, perhaps?) And if so, why?

3. jerseyjoe

Me thinks somethins up.

4. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

And nowhere did I say Sergio said it. I thought I made that clear since I said interview/article and used the word "claim" My goodness.... The only thing interesting in that article was the mention/opinion of the writer that VW and FCA were in negotiations- that was the first I ever heard of that maybe/possibly/someone's opinion of that kind of situation but we don't know for sure if it actually happened or not. That better? ;)

#564 DBY2014, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It is what it is.

Mike

6. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

This was said by someone a while back, that Gulia would be the largest Alfa sedan. Maserati will fulfill the role of a 169 successor.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Technically yes, you did not say that SM said that. However, the article proves NOTHING about it. Just one more guy claiming to know stuff without any evidence.

Prabhjot, jorisr and Mike V. like this.
  8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Further on a Merger, eh? More than anything, that really has taken front burner status. ( Progressively since 2012 ).

From the outside, it just looks as though they can hardly do anything with the vehicles, updates or otherwise, for fear of turning away a potential target or suitor. Everything's so tenuous.

When they finally land their big fish, will they turn round and look for more? Will the dust have a chance to settle? There's a certain disheartening quality to it.

Zagnut27 and valiant67 like this.
  9. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

John Elkann/Agnelli matters for any real 'big deal'/'merger'-type discussions, at the outset at least, MORE than Marchionne, imo.

Most autofirms (ex-GM), large or smaller, are family-'owned', even if not entirely or always family-controlled in toto (e.g., VW). Elkann is a loud and public advocate of 'family firms', heads a major association of old european business families.....

But the very multi-'stakeholder' nature of car companies (esp in europe: governments+unions+banks) makes such a deal (e.g., with VW) difficult to consumate let alone execute. Marchionne has tried and come-close wrt to Opel, for eg, in the past.

FCA's geographical and market-segment complementarity with the VW group is, admittedly, and in an a priori way: very intriguing as far as a 'deal' of some sort, though. Does not mean that any discussions were, are or will be held between the boards of the 2 firms, still:

Well: ours only to gossip and speculate! We'll know for sure-enough only by 2018/19, i suppose?

10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

These family-owned conglomerate businesses are also the most crony capitalist in the world. They intertwine with politicians on both sides to feed at the taxpayer's trough, earning billions in grants, loans, studies and special carve-outs in legislation to benefit their businesses.

Families like the Agnelli's, Buffett's, Koch's, etc. all benefit from a cozy relationship with politicians around the world. It also aids them when they seek mergers or bailouts because those require government involvement/approval as well.

It is not something to be admired.

11. Ercole

Ercole Member

Ford, maybe.....

12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

And some of the concern late in this thread is orbiting 'round whether we can verify what Sergio said. I'm MOST worried about what is not said; actions behind the scenes. This article purports serious discussion with VW until the Diesel situation made it to the public domain. A line was drawn here when suggestions that Sergio Emailed GM were floated. Then details bubbled into the public domain where that's concerned. It proved true.

We still don't know details which pertain to many of our individual interests where GM is concerned.

2012 discussions included some interesting remarks in the press out of the mouth of F.Piesch. Being gone, now, the possibility (liklihood?) of something again happening with VW winds its way to the surface.

I just don't know which of the elements of the grand FCA brand Sergio is willing to compromise to achieve his ultimate composite company. But there's no doubt strong effort is there.

Prabhjot likes this.
  13. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

When/if that happens, will FCA have the autonomy to do anything anymore? I'm thinking FCA would likely be swallowed by a bigger company, one with an agenda of its own... And I honestly can't see why Marchionne and Elkann would want to put themselves in that position, so all this merger nonsense suggests that they're desperate.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  14. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

How does Foogle automobiles sound? ;) lol I wonder if they would name their cars based on popular snack foods?

15. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

@Erik Latranyi

That is a fair generalization, with the major caveat that:

long-capital-cycle, long-term-planning and betting industries that depend greatly on economies of scale and scope are greatly enabled by family-ownership, for reasons other than 'crony'-ism.

The anglo-american ideal-type model of dispersed-shareholder-centrism suffers from severe problems of short-termism, (sometimes/frequent) finance-rationing by capital markets, and principal-agent problems wrt management and the workforce. Not to mention severe disregard for socio-political/economic 'externalities' on suppliers, retailers, local community economies etc.

THAT is a major structural reason why the car industry the world over continues to, other than GM, have a strong propensity to be and to remain family-owned (though depending on the business, legal and political+financial system prevelant in the home-country: with many other major pvt and public 'stake'holders, for better and for worse as far as 'corruption' goes.)

Not coincidentally, The Economist magazine has for years supported (with caveats) the family-owned firm-form: John Elkann/Agnelli-s (esp, with35% odd shareholding)+the Rothschild-s+the Cadbury-s recently hugely upped their already-sizeable stakes in the magazine. Not cronyism, surely, on the part of The Economist? ;-)

BUT: overall your generalization is empirically fair-enough, especially in the usa, italy and Japan+Korea+China+india+middle east ('Asia'), and of course truly notorious 'Latin America'. Perhaps much less-so in Germany and Sweden, Norway, the UK etc?

16. Ercole

Ercole Member

All those boys/girls own the Economist Group, of which the "Economist Magazine" is part.

Economist Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you forgot to mention in which office building in London are the headquarters of FCA.
    The famous "The Economist Building", right in the middle of "the City".
    Mr. Palmer is very pleased to be home, although fluent in Italian and a great Italy lover.

The Economist group (including office tower, residential block, former bank and podium) - 1264050 | Historic England

Interesting detail, on the board of directors of The Economist Group is a certain Mr. Eric Schmidt of a company called Alphabet.

MoparDanno and Prabhjot like this.
  17. jerseyjoe

The way things are heading FCA US will be an all truck company. Funny how long this thread is, lots of opinions on 200 and Dart. If they really go, major mess up. Its giving more customers to Hyundai that is replacing Honda around here.

18. Lee I

Lee I New Member

My hope is that Chrysler/Dodge are sold to an investor that truly is ambitious to put in the time and money to regrow the business as an independent car manufacturer once again, and give it a fighting chance to succeed on its own, I do not trust Marchionne nor Elkann and I believe we will see a new owner(s) by 2019 at the latest

Ryan likes this.
  19. Lee I

Lee I New Member

20. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Very interesting opinion, may I ask where you derive your insight from?