AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Page 30 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Well...everyone can dream.

Prabhjot likes this.
  2. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Sounds like a dream alright, but for a ...... Chinese 'owner'. However Chrysler and Dodge are not Volvo, and the 'political'-economy won't allow any such. EVEN if it were in-the-cards, which is most doubtful, imo

Why not take M at his frequently-repeated word? He just wants much-better scale of commonization of platforms, modules, powertrains, engineering+design staff and purchasing, capacity utilization, geographical/global spread: i.e., net margins, in and through downturns.

They appreciate branding-identity/charisma/usp etc as central to the continued healthy existence of each of their brands. They appear to've solved this legacy issue for all their brands other than Chrysler (and Lancia). Meanwhile: they'll keep pursuing the 'commonization'/backend-scale-economies (including 'outsourcing' the odd model?)......till they solve this too?

The 'merger' or whatever is the endgame, yes, but there's no evidence whatsoever that they intend to shut any brands down or sell-them-off: quite the opposite imo. FCA's n american 'strength' and multibrand presence is the very thing that would be attractive to a merger/deal-partner, alongwith pemium/luxe-Alfa+Maserati+Fiat LatAm+Fiat Professional+backend-sharing via Fiat europe volumes.

TripleT likes this.
  3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

One can't ignore that the brain drain in Detroit is also a factor... as much as our Nationalist pride wants to think we can have USA centralized develop more than can count have retired or taken buyouts and young talent take time to developed and developed talent is not (and forgive me there are some lovely area outside Detroit proper) excited about leaving there establish position to relocate to Detroit and be another downturn from the unemployment line and eating a mortgage. While I think things are fine as is, I can see it is a bit of his job to be looking at the next thing and try to execute it.

4. Lee I

Lee I New Member

I personally do not trust SM, have you ever met him or dealt with him on even an occasional or brief instance? I will go out on a limb and hazard a guess as to say no

If I am wrong and you do work for FCA, or have worked in some capacity for the company, had any dealings with SM on a personal or group level professionally please let me know, my take away way less than favourable

5. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Just because a company was based in the US or potentially could be based in the US again in the future doesn't preclude recruiting talented individuals from across the globe, nor does it preclude the said company from operating globally sucessfully

6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Have you ever met him or dealt with him? Is that some kind of requirement now to have an opinion?

danbek and Bob Lincoln like this.
  7. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

New Username?

Unless they move the Headquarters from Auburn Hills my statement stands and is a current issue that is being dealt with.

BTW if you are a Employee or Tier1 supplier and have just found your way here.... Auburn Hill does monitor what is posted here .... just a heads up.

8. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Active Member

20 to allpar.com.......gladly

But it dosen't change the fact that SM has given up on Chrysler-Dodge.

9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm in - if Chrysler as a brand is dead by 2018 AND the 300 and Pacifica become Dodge products, then you win.

Please provide proof of this "fact."

While we all wait for that proof, I'll note that it was just YESTERDAY that he was celebrating the launch of the Pacifica after a $744M ($1B CAN) plant investment and the hiring of 1200 workers since 9/2014 to support that launch.

Investing over $700 MILLION dollars in a segment that some automakers have walked away from, and a brand that some seem eager to see die, doesn't sound like "giving up" to me.

(And, if he's giving up on both Chrysler and Dodge, why on earth would you bet that 300 and Pacifica would become Dodge products?)

Ian, MoparDanno, Mike V. and 3 others like this.
  10. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Marchionne is a barrel of surprises. Never know what's up his sleeve. He talks about a partner and lower cost of production. IDK, is moving the Dart to China seem to fit what he's talking about? Any thoughts?

Meant to post this in Dan Minick's thread, but this works too.

#590 Hank600ES, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Buick to kill Verano as early as 2017

Looks like FCA might not be the only company eliminating smaller sedans and focusing on crossovers in the very near future. Buick might be doing the same thing.

Prabhjot likes this.
  12. Ian

Ian Car Freak

True and I agree...but GM still has the Cruze...

13. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

And FCA still has the Dart.

danbek, wilbur and MoparDanno like this.
  14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Bob, this has been posted like six or seven times in multiple threads.

Mike

15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Yeah well like that's your opinion man.

So it's an easy enough bet. From your bold prediction that Sergio will kill Chrysler sometime in 2018, Chrysler as a brand will not exist as of January 1, 2019. Those who feel Chrysler dies vote yes those who believe the brand will exist vote no. Loser pays $20 into the Allpar member in need fund. The bet will be decided either by a declaration from FCA that the Chrysler brand will fold in calendar year 2018 or sooner, or by the sale of any 2019 Chrysler model after December 31st, 2018. Fair enough?

Dave, Strat or other Mods - Can we pin a poll for those who want to put up or shut up?

16. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

He mentioned somewhere (I believe in the FWD 300 thread) he moved to a different company, so he was previously employeed with FCA, but no longer is.

17. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

He seems to have quite a bit of anger still, but not enough to openly burn bridges it appears :D

18. Int

Int Active Member

How about an On The Record subforum where predictions made are entered under the name of each prognosticator? I predict that would result in fewer predictions made.

DAGAR likes this.
  19. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Yes I have met and dealt with him on a professional level, is it a requirement to have an opinion? of course not, would it be helpful towards having an INFORMED opinion, absolutely

20. Lee I

Lee I New Member

I'm game for that, call me out if I'm wrong, in fact if I am wrong I'd be the first to admit it