AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Page 31 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Lee I

Lee I New Member

That is correct

2. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Not exactly anger :) more like disappointment but hey that's life.
    I still have many friends in ME and corporate, no need to burn bridges, I do not hate FCA, but I disagree in the direction things are going and some actions taken at the corporate level which were not favorable towards salaried staff

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Sounds similar to other stories I have been told.

Mike

4. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Completely and totally understood. Like Mike, I too have heard that from other people.

It does make one wonder about the people that are managing to either hang on and stay ( Ralph G ) and those that are thriving ( Tim K, Mike M ) and the differences in their personalities.

Not throwing stones, AT ALL, just musing....

Mike V. likes this.
  5. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just gotta be a survivor. When I was hired a little over 20 years ago there were over 40 people in our division. No one has been hired since and we are down to 9 people and still providing the same basic service to the mill.

6. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Oh I get that. I live that one daily.

Mainly why I was curious about the personality type differences. LOL.

7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Going by what we joke about around here, equal parts determination, adaptation, naivety, and stupidity.;)

Lee I and MoparDanno like this.
  8. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Yup, about what I have come up with while looking into the mirror every morning. LOL

GasAxe likes this.
  9. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Please take this with a grain of salt as it is my own opinion

I believe a lot of it comes down to how much of a "yes" man you are in the organization
    Many people have opinions on things, not everyone is vocal about it

I suppose towing the status quo works well for some, while some who are passionate about the company and doing the best job they are capable of are usually vocal when certain topics come up. This of course has a way of stymieing ones career. Which is the right way to handle things?

MoparDanno and Mike V. like this.
  10. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Sorry...didn't know your background at the time, but read later in a different thread.

11. Lee I

Lee I New Member

No need to apologize :) I think its safe to say regardless of differing opinions on where FCA is heading we all share one thing in common, we all wish the company to do well and thrive in the future

dmcdonald and MoparDanno like this.
  12. Lee I

Lee I New Member

I'd like to add that Ralph is a stand up guy, I'd like to see more guys with his passion for cars at the top, maybe with a few more and a like minded CEO things would be diffrent

Mopartial and MoparDanno like this.
  13. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Oh, I know which side of that particular coin I would fall. I would probably be joining you in adding my talents to someone else's talent pool at that point. I've never been able to walk away from "right is right".

Thank you for the insight.

14. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

"insert longing for Lutz running the show here"

wilbur likes this.
  15. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Well IDK, but if one is a "yes man", he better know what he is doing, because I believe FCA holds one accountable and if one doesn't execute, changes are coming quickly.

It takes leaders with the vision, the intelligence and the communication skills to challenge the status quo. You Lee, used these words, lead, follow or get out of the way. It still stands today.

16. Lee I

Lee I New Member

Lutz running the show would be fantastic, definitely my type of auto exec

17. Lee I

Lee I New Member

The problem with "yes" men is they trust blindly, never really understanding the cut throat nature of this business, especially at the upper corporate level, you would be surprised what goes on in terms of accountability, one man makes what would be considered an epic mistake, only to walk away unscathed due to being tight with the right people, the next man is turfed over a minor issue because he isn't tight with the right people......unfortunately skill and talent aren't always the key to survival.....

I'm sure you realize I am not the real Lee Iacocca, its just an alias :D I wish I had a career as diverse and interesting as Mr. Iaccoca, sadly I doubt I will ever get to be CEO of a auto manufacturer

MoparDanno and Erik Latranyi like this.
  18. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

That explains the 'yes men'. It is ruthless, cutthroat and a minefield even in the lower levels, like people fighting at the bottom of a well or competing to be the admiral in a rowboat.
    I've seen more than a few people succeed because they were at the right place at the right time. And the really smart ones will admit that because humility disarms many jealous critics.

#618 Mopartial, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    MoparDanno, Prabhjot and Lee I like this.
  19. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

I keep up hope that one day a guy with deep pockets will come along and buy Dodge, Ram, Mopar, Jeep, and Chrylser and save them, Maserati can come along and become the top luxury brand

Mopartial, Lee I and dakota21 like this.
  20. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

I don't know what really goes on in Auburn Hills at the lower management levels and it would be unfortunate if there is a culture of rewarding or ignoring people if they just move about smiling or glad handing and then don't perform to expectations. I would image in a challenging environment people are kept out of their comfort zone and there is a lot of movement from one management position to another. Not sure if you saw movement or if you saw people just holding positions year after year which I think tends to make for a staid organization that doesn't bring in fresh blood to challenge the status quo throughout the organization.

And at higher management levels, CEO and direct reports, all my impressions stem from what I read in the press and I haven't read everything. My simple impression is Marchionne is always looking for someone who has the courage to step into a leadership position and a person who understands the reward/risk of doing so. I would think the CEO is confident the person can do the job he's given and the person who takes the job is confident he can do it. It sums up SM's management style to me, IDK if it's filtered down into the lower levels of the corporation.

I can image hearing this in the halls of Auburn Hills.

Marchionne: Scott, I need to make changes. Can you build a car that makes money?
    Kuniskis: Oh yeah man. Hell yes!!