AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Page 32 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

My daily dream, minus Maserati.
    In a video recently posted on Allpar, Walter Chrysler's great-grandson quoted him as saying that if the company were to built quality autos at fair prices, customers would buy them. Often, the simple is the most sure.
    To me, that's what was so attractive about Chrysler in the early '80s. The quality and tunnel vision problems were (yes, necessarily) publicly admitted and addressed with quality products that were priced fairly and were designed with the latest technology and built in the era of high oil prices. Had oil remained high and the government had not nixed strict MPG requirements, Chrysler would have been the genius company. True, there was the element of "the lower the bottom, the better the bounce", but there was at least the appearance of honesty, openness, and optimism with Chrysler then.

#621 Mopartial, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup.

Quality is still the problem. We all know they have to be appreciably higher quality than average for five to ten years to turn around their rep and stop losing customers and start charging a premium price.

3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Really don't care about gadgets, from what I read here not a lot of complaints. What I really care about starts with the doors, gotta sound solid when when you close them. Drivetrain needs to be flawless. Body must not rattle ar rust. Paint has to stay good. Interior appointments and space best in class. Great sounding RADIO. Everything else is whiped cream and cheese, nice but you don't need them. I think Chrysler has heating and cooling down well excet for outside ventillation. Boat load of OPTIONS for those who want them.

rapidtrans likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian Car Freak

And that, I think, is one of the reasons why the 200 doesn't sell without incentives. Once the bad quality reputation has be turned around, then you can charge a premium for your car. Quality has to be proven.

5. jerseyjoe

The new thinner consoles provide more space but are more wabbely. Like the solid bolted to the floor buckrt in the Pacifica. Never used the arm rest in the sedans console except as a cover that gets in the way. That would have come out in my youth.

Ian likes this.
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

More space = more junk which people haul with them = more weight = worse fuel economy = people who really who don't take care of their cars to begin with!

7. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

more space usually (most of the time) I can fit my big butt in.... :)

redriderbob likes this.
  8. Robert Johnson

A good example of FCA not caring about the Dart anymore is that the website STILL has not been changed to reflect the new Dart trim re alignment.......I mean how pathetic is that?

Ian likes this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yup. When you take a ride in your neighbor's car and it's ten years old and has no rattles... that's how quality reputations are made.

10. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Are Japan’s automakers too U.S.-dependent?

A lot of stuff here, including very Sergio-like quotes from Carlos Ghosn, that pertains VERY directly to FCA's current models, brands, investments + financial-prudence etc strategy, on a not-just-North American-basis......

11. Lee I

Lee I New Member

I would be awfully surprised if Carlos Ghosn wanted anything to do with FCA's debt load, especially with Nissan moving to control Mitsubishi's automotive business which in itself would require an enormous capital outlay

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Renault just started up a new/old brand.

Sergio already said he wants nothing to do with Renault. Many times. Too much European overlap. It would be pointless. Though he did talk about joining GM.

Prabhjot likes this.
  13. jerseyjoe

Neighbor dumped two new Corvettes, now has a Maserati 4.7 V8 convertable sitting in the middle of his garage bad fuel economy! Chrysler needs to get that motor and fix it! :D

14. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Ian likes this.
  15. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Closest it will get is Mexico - as the new Dodge Neon.

Mike V. likes this.
  16. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I begin to ponder the same question, with the Brazilian economy going down the drain. Japan try China and India (mainly Suzuki) to be less dependent on the US market. Who knows what the next surprise is?

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

200 down 62% May 2015 vs. May 2014, also down 62% YTD.
    Dart down 48% May 2015 vs. May 2014, down 39% YTD.

18. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Exactly my 03 Optima has no rattles at all and the paint and interior are excellent. Like you said that is how reputations are made.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Sticking with the old 200 may have worked for an awfully long time...

djsamuel and Erik Latranyi like this.
  20. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Yup, and those are the very reasons my wife ditched her 04 Kia.

Mike V. likes this.