AF: Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200 | Page 33 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio on merging, Dart, and 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Mar 2, 2016.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

And my daughter has had 4 Kias and they where all great, so 1 bad and 5 good I say that is pretty good odds.

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I've had plenty of different cars from different makers. Not one was perfect, some were better than others.

The best of all of them overall - the one I enjoyed owning the most - was my '98 Dodge Stratus.

Mopartial, Mike V. and dmcdonald like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

All I can say is Kia and Hyundai have improved more than the average car over the past decades because they have moved up. Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep haven't improved significantly better than the industry average and remain low in ratings, pretty much consistently.

4. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Not that I am in the market for another car but if I where I would hope that the new one was as good or better than the one I have. I think the worse thing is to buy a new car and have problems. Sometimes I think buying a car from enterprise or rental company or a buy back lease car is the best way to go at least you have a history of the car and the problems.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The last time you tried a straw poll it didn't work that well for you.

Have you had good luck with a Kia, yup... And with your anecdotal experience there is at least one that is 180 degrees opposite.

Mike

#645 Mike V., Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. Mike V.

While I agree to a certain degree, you don't always have a real complete history and you don't know how abused the car may or may not have been.

Mike

7. Mike V.

Agreed, I still find them cheap under the skin.

Mike

Prabhjot likes this.
  8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

So what does that mean ??? Cheap under the skin ??????? Also have you ever gone and looked at one.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  9. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Better than no history and depends on the warranty that is offered.

10. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, the material used is just not that great and does not wear as nice as other cars. I looks at few used Optima's and even when they only had 30k miles or so, they looked like a 100k or more.

Also there is/has to be a reason the car is cheaper than the competition.

djsamuel and Mike V. like this.
  11. Mike V.

Yup, I have looked at them. I have driven them. I have repaired them.

What does that mean? They look good on the surface but they still have quirks that leave me feeling like corners were cut and they attempted to hide it to keep cost down.

I will never spend my money on Hyundai or a Kia.

Mike

Ian, jwp44, djsamuel and 1 other person like this.
  12. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I love answers like this my interior is in excellent shape and the car is over 12 years old so I don't know what you are looking at. Also the fit and finish is excellent. I guess if it isn't a mopar it just isn't good.

13. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I know and Chrysler has never cut corners on their cars, read some of the comments on this board, So what are these quirks that you are talking about. All the electronics in this car work perfectly after 12 years. As to spending your money on one that is your problem, I did and am very happy. I would explain to you why I bought it but it would be a waste of time.

14. Robert Johnson

I had a 98 Stratus ES 2.5V6 Autostick. I loved driving it and riding in it, but the only part that did not simply fall apart or quit working was the Mitsu engine. Electrical problems drove me crazy, the interior rattled at only 35K easy miles and it was dead by 135K. A true love/hate relationship. I really liked it when it ran but it was a steaming pile of poo mechanically.

15. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I will say the new 2017 Elantra makes a compelling alternative to my Dart Limited. How many of you have actually worked on late model Hyundai's? Not trying to defend them,but most reports are saying the quality is right up their now with Toyota and Honda. If I remember correctly it's also only been a few years since they have been producing their own steel too, thus reducing some of their costs. I know a lot of people here would not want people to compare FCA products to Dailmer's products from a just few years ago but I kind of feel like some of you are doing that with Hyundai.

geraldg likes this.
  16. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth, I have always been a Mopar owner. I have ventured out to the we make it simple Honda/Acura and was bitten hard. The Acura is a very good but way too expensive to buy and keep up. Also once it gets old, parts are no longer available. The Honda started falling apart soon after purchase.
    I have a fleet of Mopars, but I drive a 2012 Charger SXT 8sp daily. It has topped 93K miles. Without a doubt it is the best car I have ever owned. There are not enough words to tell about the positives it gives. Lets say this, no repairs dollars so far. Just oil changes, tires, wipers, battery, and rotors, wear items. Highway MPG always over 30.

somber and Bob Lincoln like this.
  17. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

My last good Mopar was a 1996 Dodge Avenger built in Normal, IL with a partnership with Mitsubishi. Since then we owned a 2004 Pacifica, 2002 PT, 2006 PT, 2006 Town and Country, 2013 Dart Limited, and 2013 Dodge Journey. All of them have had issues. I've never had a Mopar that has not been back to the dealer for warranty work. I have tolerated it over the years because of the guilt I have for supporting my father and friends/family who work for Chrysler currently. I'm kind of at my wits end now. Just last week our 2013 Journey had to have new front struts replaced with 30K miles and just 3 months before that my 2013 Dart had to have front struts replaced. Both cars had service bulletins out about noise issues and replacing the struts, so it's not like my dealer is strut happy or something. There we legitimate reasons to having them replaced. I am so tired of stuff like this. The PTs and Dart are my car and I put about 20-30K miles a year on them because of work travel and quite frankly they do no hold up for me. I've had constant suspension issues with those cars. I want FCA to succeed and I know others here do too, but I am not willing to ignore the issues because I'm a [person who likes a particular brand]. Complaining about other cars companies quality problems is a moot point on a FCA forum IMHO.

18. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 is 4 years old and now has 40K miles on it. It has had one loose ground cable that caused an occasional faulty gas gauge reading (they tightened it); and now the recirculator door motor has a possible broken gear that clacks when Recirc is not selected. Should be an easy $25 repair for me. Other than that, it's been absolutely great. Gets 31-33 mpg highway, 23 around town. Smooth, quiet, fun to drive.

19. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Have been working with Hyundai for many years, if you guy's only knew.

20. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

So what does that mean ??

Bob Lincoln and Ian like this.