AF: Sergio replacement | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio replacement

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by edvan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

Just saw an article about the Boards search for a replacement. It mentioned the Board is looking beyond Altavilla and Palmer. What happened to Reid Bigland?

2. GMtoMoparConvert

GMtoMoparConvert Active Member

Post the link to the article so we can all read it.

3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Perhaps the high profile SEC and FBI investigation into Sales reporting cast a bad light on his potential leadership qualities.

4. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Active Member

Mergio himself looks outside the company for leadership, why shouldn't the board?

Mopartial, HotCarNut, Ian and 14 others like this.
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

LOL.

Mergio!

I am a Sergio fan, but that is funny.

FreeLantz, HotCarNut, Ian and 10 others like this.
  6. Judas Shuttlesworth

Judas Shuttlesworth Active Member

I'd pick Manley over Bigland in a heartbeat.

7. Lee N. Burns

I'd take credit, but he's been referred to as such by employees for so long it would be impossible to trace the origin. You can imagine how that builds morale.

Mopartial, UN4GTBL, somber and 2 others like this.
  8. JavelinAMX

Hah!! :D

How Apropos !!

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I would hope so. Altavilla would be a disaster for the “one happy company” program. Palmer’s a finance guy, probably a good one, but do they need another right now? Especially since he’s been so invisible.

I think Ralph Gilles is probably not willing to devote his entire waking life to FCA, which is why I think the voluntarily dropped down a little in the pecking order. Has Tim Kuniskis worked outside the US? Has Reid?

I’d just look at the people who have had global positions — Pietro Gorlier is one of those (though the US dealership situation is a great mess, I don’t know how tightly his hands are tied). Mike Manley is another — by not being Italian or American, he’s sort of a neutral third party choice.

Regardless, I’d like to see the next leader slow things down and build quality and people. That requires a saner pace and sticking to decisions unless changes are absolutely necessary.

10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

I see no reason why an Italian or American cannot run the company. Only those who sees things through a prism of "us vs them" would think this way.

The key is to find a very qualified leader who can fix the disastrous quality and customer experiences while charting the big changes that are coming in the automotive industry.

jerseyjoe, somber and valiant67 like this.
  11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Let's develop a Sim City, Forge of Empire like game about auto execs.
    We can call it Super Mergio.

Mopartial, Zagnut27, Doug D and 6 others like this.
  12. JavelinAMX

How 'bout Ghosn ?

He successfully led an Asian and European conglomerate, and thus elevated the whole.

Sales and Margin increased. They then took on Mitsu.

Perhaps Mergio ( can't get over that fitting moniker! ) looks askance at Ghosn given the basic success of the lot; and he's looking to retire from that organisation. Could be quite a Coup if he were sought-out and seated as the leader of FCA. One would hope that the brand (FCA ) would follow the situation enjoyed (?) by Renault-Nissan-Mitsu.

In other words, he's going to be available shortly ...

13. Lee N. Burns

You need to fix morale/perceptions inside the company as well (and to motivate people about the other valid concerns you mention). It might be tribal, but nationality will be a factor if you really want to rally the troops.

14. Lee N. Burns

I've never played anything besides the Pacman, but I know what you're talking about and have always thought that would be a cool idea.

#15 Lee N. Burns, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Very, very, very tightly.

Ask Elon Musk why he refuses to sell franchises? Franchise law is way, way skewed in favor of the franchisee to the detriment of the franchiser. There needs to be a rebalancing there.

Prabhjot likes this.
  16. JavelinAMX

I've long wondered why not engage in buying back the Franchises to place once again under Corporate to control and correct the lousy Customer/Dealership problems which have beset the FCA brand (and all other brands, indeed, but do so to help improve FCA branding and quality performance to off-set the overall negative that drives the end-user's low opinion of the products which are ultimately reflected in opinion polls).

Ian likes this.
  17. Lee N. Burns

Agree. Some dealer franchises can trace their lineage back to being the town blacksmith. These guys were active in early 20th century local politics and had the state franchise rules written to favor them, not a handful companies in far-off Detroit/NY/Indiana.

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

They can't do that. Franchise law is skewed too heavily toward the franchisee. The franchiser has very little they can do once the contract is signed and the franchise has been sold.

19. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

First, it is not possible with current franchise laws.

Second, it is not necessary as other manufacturers have been able to improve their customer experiences within the current system.

Ian likes this.