AF: Sergio replacement | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sergio replacement

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by edvan, Jun 14, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Replacement Sergio has been delayed for a few years. In the mean time, there will be new sweater colors and trim packages while the G-based replacement is on hold.

Mopartial, FreeLantz, larryv and 16 others like this.
  2. Lee N. Burns

Lee N. Burns Active Member

Because even if the dealers sold their franchises back to the company, the company couldn't run them. You can't buy a Tesla in Michigan because the state law prohibits direct sales from manufacturers... And if there were ever a state where an auto company might have a chance to be favored over the local-yokel, it would be MI.

3. Lee N. Burns

lol, this thread is full of gallows humor.

4. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I would like to think that...at this point...FCA is indeed "one happy company", but my gut tells me otherwise.

After all these years, a certain amount of tribalism still exists. After all...if "us vs. them" exists on this board, why wouldn't it still exist at FCA?

Not being American or Italian makes Manley a very VERY attractive choice...to say nothing of his impressive track record so far.

I do have one other favorite candidate for the job. Unfortunately, he's a little busy right now running PSA-Opel.;)

5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Because the franchise laws themselves prohibit corporate owned stores to be in competition with franchisees. They vary from state to state of course, but Chrysler of forced to divest their "corporate showroom" in California when the dealers took them to court.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You realize that people WILL see it as “us vs them” if someone with experience on ONLY one side is put in charge? Your reply was pretty hostile and, really, insulting. It’s been my JOB to see and deal with things like that.

Yes.

Devildodge and Bob Lincoln like this.
  7. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I want to like this comment twice

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  8. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Ralph was never and would never be considered

9. Lee N. Burns

Agree. However I wish someone with his passion was running the Chrysler brand.

10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

I am not responsible for how someone "feels" about a leader. I judge a leader based on performance and it does not matter where he/she comes from.

If that is hostile and insulting, I wonder what you think of Martin Luther King Jr?

It is insulting to think that FCA needs to be politically correct in choosing a CEO.

alltel12 likes this.
  11. Lee N. Burns

You're viewing this through the wrong lenses. There is good reason to believe (yet another) European will continue to misunderstand the US market, (and that's the one that makes money). And/or he/she will continue to be motivated by the policies of a European government structure that makes it nearly impossible to right-size the company's number of employees and job duties. When there are hundreds of Italians sitting around Milan in need of a project, and plenty of easy-to-layoff Americans, it can mean the wrong people are performing the wrong job. On Fantasy Island, nationality won't matter. But if you really want to convince merger-weary employees that the new guy has the company's best interests in mind, he/she probably can't come from within.

GasAxe likes this.
  12. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

You don't suppose Mark Fields may get a phone call..?

13. JeepandRams

JeepandRams Active Member

I want Wolfgang Bernhard

14. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

No bean counters, no operations managers........ need a sales-driven individual with a solid back ground of how to run a world-wide company. Good luck.

Ian likes this.
  15. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Renault-Nissan is NOTHING like a conglomerate, let alone a family-owned-and-controlled one like fca+ferrari+cnh-iveco+exor. And a Carlos Ghosn-like try-this-that-the-other-too and always feel free to mess around with brands' identities and accept french government bailouts and so on is the very mere auto executive masquerading as czar FCA does not need post-marchionne. Nor is Ghosn known for being a champion of 'quality' etc, whatever that may mean in this infinitely complictedly difficult industry.

I'd say an outsider with intellect and stature-with-capital-markets-and-banks and with extensive 'global' experience plus good at herding cats would be best, rather than an insider. Ms. Barra, perhaps, in the likely-enough ;-) event of a deal by Marie Mergio ;-) Although the best bets imo are still Altavilla or Palmer, it would seem. Esp the latter, given the inevitable soon-after-Sergo-retires....merger. He is 'British' which may indeed, in this case, be an excellent thing. Boards often like to ritualistically pretend they're conducting a fully open 'tournament' in deciding the new ceo, so.

16. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Bahaahaa!

17. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

I imagine John Elkann will have the last judgment and the last word on this matter, right after Sergio himself of course. At least the banks, investors etc would be very reassured by this fact, if it is one.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  18. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't doubt it if they decided to merge with someone if they can't find the "perfect" person

19. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I will miss Sergio... I hope they will find a capable replacement. A lot is at stake in the upcoming decade. It usually never gets easier.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

Sorry, just because the executive comes from Europe, Asia or Mars does not mean he cannot understand the US market.

I actually don't care if the new CEO understands the US market.......will he LISTEN to those people who do know the US market is the more important question!

The current CEO does not listen enough. It has nothing to do with his Italian or Canadian roots.....it has to do with his own incompetence.

Carlos Ghosn is a foreign CEO who listens and understands markets he is not familiar with. I read a great write-up about how Renault-Nissan has decentralized as part of their plan to cater to each market uniquely. The core of the company is sharing, but the shell is custom. That is an example of what I beleive is good leadership.

JavelinAMX, AvengerGuy and alltel12 like this.