Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shift Knob and Linkage

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by samainfirenight, Oct 18, 2016.

1. samainfirenight

samainfirenight New Member

Hi All, I am new to the group. It is a pleasure to introduce myself. I am a cool chic living in MI, and I love cars!

Ok, so to the ? I have a 1991 Dodge Daytona ES, non-turbo. I am putting Booger Bushings in the linkage.
    First problem I have is the shift knob, I have searched google and here, but can't find the steps to get the knob off of my car. I have a custom knob to go back on it, so I don't mind if the old one breaks...I pull the little tabs back, pulled, twisted, it will not budge!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm not sure on the '91 but on my '86 it simply spins off like a nut on a bolt.

3. samainfirenight

samainfirenight New Member

Thank you for your reply. I've tried twisting, but it won't budge. I know the Daytona's changed the manual shift area in 1990, so I don't know if the shift knob was one of those changes?

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

For your vintage Daytona, pull the shift boot down on the lever, and you should see a long plastic tab on each side of the lever which has a hole through it, that snaps over a peg on each side. Gently pry each tab with screwdrivers to clear the tabs over the pegs and pull the shift knob up and off.

5. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

My 87 Shelby CSX the shift knob just unscrews like a nut.

6. marty mopar

marty mopar Active Member

it has 2 tabs on it and DOES NOT spin off....see Bob's post above. 1990-93 have tabs, 1989 and earlier spin off.

7. TurboPacifica

Supporter

Check for sign of glue.
    the last owner could have Gorilla Glued it on.
    It happened to me.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

GUYS.....read my post, and Marty's. It pries off and up, it does NOT unscrew, for 1990+.

9. Perrym1229

Perrym1229 New Member

The 90 and up shifters had 2 little plastic tabs on each side of the knob that clicked into the shifter. Pull those plastic tabs out a little and pull up on the shifter.