Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifter Recall (S27) - How to Test

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by tomit, Aug 22, 2016.

1. tomit

Ad-Free Member

Recall done, supposedly. To check, I opened driver's door while car was at a standstill and transmission indicator was on 'D'. I expected the transmission to shift to 'P'. Didn't happen.

What was the fix supposed to be? How does one test for it? BTW, car drives same as before - virtually flawless.

Tom

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You must have some warning message or chime when opening the drivers side door in gear that relates to it being out of Park.
    See S27 here:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM517496/RCMN-15V541-7598.pdf
    This document is from May, so it may have been updated since.
    If this doesn't answer the question to your satisfaction, ask the dealer service dept. I would have hoped that they would have told you what to expect with this new software when you picked up the vehicle.

3. tomit

Ad-Free Member

IC,

On a Jeep forum, a company rep said it should auto-park if veh speed less than 1.2 mph, driver's seat belt is unbuckled, driver's door is adjar, and brake is not depressed.

I'll have to check again.

Thanks.

Tom

#3 tomit, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I had heard that the forced shift to Park was going to be part of the strategy. I haven't read up on it lately to know if they followed through with that.
    Did you receive a letter from FCA on the recall explaining what they would do?

I remember the Ram diesels had an Out-of-Park alarm recall (E17) that would sound the horn and flash the headlamps if you opened the door with the engine running in gear.
    It was one of the most unwelcome recalls because some truck owners needed to open the door to look when backing up a large trailer (rather than use the mirrors).
    Once done, a software recall can't be undone:
    Safety Recall E17

5. tomit

Ad-Free Member

When the brake was released, the dashboard indicator jumped to 'P'. Whew, don't have to have the 4-5 hour procedure redone.:p I think it is a worthwhile fix.

Dave Z and ImperialCrown like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Makes sense - if you're buckled in you are probably leaving it in drive on purpose. If you are going 1.2 mph or less you probably think you're stopped; any more and you know better. et cetera... for the E17 recall, the seat belt thing would be the fix.

I didn't get mine done because I wasn't leaving the car off for two hours - really this should be a much faster fix - what's up with Chrylser IT?

MPE426HEMI and ImperialCrown like this.
  7. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Dave: I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong conversation.

It is interesting how different auto companies using the same shift lever implement it differently.
    Mercedes Benz uses the same shift lever but they have a physical button on the shift lever to put the vehicle in park. Why can't Chrysler do the same?

8. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Yea, this is NOT the first time I've heard this. To flash new software takes 4-5 hours of labor?

Or, is the dealer saying bring it in, expect we will need to keep it for 4-5 hours? or 2 hours in Dave's case? That I can see, for good and bad reasons, a Dealer might be saying, from the time you drop it off and I can get into the bay for the 5 minutes of service and return it to you, I need a 5 hour or 2 hour window. Still 5 minutes of work, for a service department, how busy it is, and how they will work it into all the service they will be doing that day, they need the vehicle waiting for them in the lot. Perhaps they are trying to squeeze these 5 minute flash jobs in around the margins of the big dollar work they are trying to push through all day long, and that is why they need the vehicle sitting around for them to grab instead of making an appointment they know they'll just break.

Honestly, its NOT really IT, its a service procedure that takes inducting the vehicle into service to have service techs connect the service equipment to the vehicle. It may be computers, but its really service and service tech procedures. Yes, the process of interfacing with the service writer and inducting in/out of service, should take longer than the actual service itself.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Which is part of what I criticize in FCA IT. It should not take an Express Lane to process a customer in less than 20 minutes. It should not take over ten minutes to check a customer in or out. To a degree the process revolves around the IT systems.

Rick Anderson likes this.
  10. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

I see what your saying and agree, the in/out processing of the service department, the few times I've been there, does seem archaic. It should NOT take that long and the lag does lead to more frustration, cause it really does seem they induct it into service just to wait until a tech is available to do the work, which can be an hour to hours after you have an appointment.

And that is why I suspect dealers are saying you have to leave the car for 4-5 hours to get a 5 minute job done. That is how bad the service is managed.

11. tomit

Ad-Free Member

On 12-19-2016 a recall was done on the same jeep:

Service Description: electrical system, Electronic control modules. Among other things it fixed an occasional slamming downshift into first.

We waited for it to be done - about 1-1/2 hours.

I'm wondering if the 4-5 hour time frame for S-27 involves several 'is it still fixed' checks. Two different dealerships quoted the same 4-5 hour window.

Tom

12. stevenspeaking

From the recall notice...
    What your dealer will do...
    FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge. To do this, your dealer will install new software to include an "Auto Park" feature which eliminates the possibility of the driver inadvertently failing to place the transmission into "PARK" prior to exiting the vehicle. The work will take about two hours to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It's called CYA. LOL! Better to tell the customer it'll take longer and actually finish it in half the time than to tell them it will be done in 90 minutes and it's not done for 2 1/2 hours.

14. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

The recall does genuinely take about two hours to do, and it pays 2.3 hours. Mainly because of the IPC flash, which takes about an hour and 20 minutes to finish because the cluster software is being completely rewritten. Cool part is that they are level 0 flashes, so I don't have to run time on the RO, I can just finish them off with the new software numbers and work on something else while I wait for the IPC flash to finish. Did a lot to fatten my paychecks over the summer. They now have a compressed IPC flash that can be used on some Grand Cherokees that only takes about 45 minutes to do, but then the recall only pays 1.1. *thumbs down*

15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I remember when installing software in a car meant giving the kids in the back seat a blanket.

wtxiceman and Doug D like this.