Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short Wheel Base B-van Question

Discussion in 'Vans' started by voiceofstl, Nov 22, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Those real short B vans. A buddy of mine had 1 about 10 years ago.I think dodge called them a wagon..
    He used it haul the kids around and camping and all kinds of stuff.
    What I found unusual about was...it was a 225 /6 with a 727 transmission. It seem almost peppy in the city but as for as passing on the highway,,not so much.

Was that 727 rare?
    What was the last year for shorty van?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I had a base '72 B100 Sportsman window wagon. It was a 109" wheelbase, about the same as a Dart at the time. Mine was a slant-6 with a manual 3-speed on the column. It had good torque and drove fine around the city. It was fatiguing on long interstate drives. It got reasonable fuel economy.
    The B100 Tradesman was the panel van version. Some had side door and rear door windows.
    The service manual called them 'compact' vans/wagons. My dad looked at car-based station wagons for a growing family, but liked the idea of a 'van' better.
    The 727 may have been part of a heavy-duty option as some were 904s.
    According to the Allpar article, the shorty (mini-Ram) was discontinued in 1984. The slant-6 was discontinued in 1987.
    Dodge B-series vans, Ram Van, and Ram Wagon (at https://www.allpar.com/trucks/b-vans.html )

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The 727 was used in pickups behind the slant 6 as well.I had one of those.
    I'd bet the 727 was also used behind he slant 6 in cars equipped with taxi and police packages for many years.