Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be wary?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, Dec 5, 2015.

1. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I think I've decided to go ahead with the Dart-- a manual trans version with the 2.4.

The car I'm currently courting is the 2.4/6m with 12k mi. and is a 2013 GT model. A cursory glance here tells me the cars are suspect for hydraulic issues, and I'm not sure if/when those have been remedied.

The carfax does not list the original in-service date to let me calculate remaining warranty. A question would be: is the 7/100 good on pre-owned? Does it cover hydraulics? Would a maxcare?

I don't want to finance a headache! My PT is mostly sound, but I'm ready to update after 8 years in a base model.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If you can get the VIN # a dealer should be able to tell you the in service date. A Max Care warranty covers quite a bit (more than the Ad Care warranty) - almost everything.

http://www.dodge.com/en/warranty/

I thought the Dart 2.4L only came with an automatic and the manual was only available with the 1.4L turbo.

3. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

The car seems like an early-run 2013 GT 2.4/6m, but I really don't know about when which packages and which engines became available. Was 2013 the 2.0/1.4t only?

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You can buy a warranty from any dealer so you may want to shop a little. Just make sure it's a real Chrysler warranty.

hemirunner426 likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

6. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

The hydraulic issues were with the Fiat trans, not the Hyundai trans you should be fine. The Fiat trans was only with the 1.4.

7. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

The car is the 6-speed manual-- I thought only the automatic came from Hyundai?

I'll not buy a car with a Korean transmission. It's getting difficult to buy anything with majority North American parts content!

hemirunner426 likes this.
  8. awsviking

awsviking Member

you do not need to worry to much about the hydraulic issue the hose can be rerouted to keep it from being close the exhaust witch was the cause the the problem.

9. PCRMike

Almost zero trannys are of American design anymore. There are a few. mine has been trouble free.

10. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

This is valuable information! Thanks y'all!

The car ended up being a bait car(priced $13,500) and was 'sold' when I inquired about it.

11. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I should say that that won't be the last one at 13,500 coming along. I am seeing quite a few 14s coming along now in the low 14K price range.

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

This one was a full-tilt GT 2.4, I'm not seeing a lot like it for the same price.

What I'm seeing now is a 21k mile Aero manual at $11,500 and I don't like it as much

13. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

What I'd suggest doing is continuously check Craigslist, AutoTrader.com as well as Cars.com. I'll bet it won't take too long to find one. Of course, you may have to travel out-of-state to get the exact car you are looking for.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Aero is nice in the country, it's not a great city car in my experience. The 2.0 and 2.4 are both okay depending on what you need. 2.0 is fine in the city, it does 0-40 quite well ...

15. PCRMike

My 2.0 sees a lot of interstate driving (me) and local two lane driving (my daughters). Not a race car, but perfect for our needs.

16. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

It's a 200s V6 this week.

Guys-- I'm a terrible customer. The two cars are priced so close to one-another that I'm shopping what seems like a very wide spread of vehicles! They're really the same car, though, and they compete in the same market/pricing space. It's kind of hard.

17. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Update: the last vehicle was a 200s V6, the dealership would not sell the car and hold it(they're in Alabama and I was going to pick it up while visiting family there over Christmas) for a week. That's understandable, I suppose. So I'm out for a while.

18. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Picked up the Aero Manual-- a 2015 with 12,500 miles :)

It's a scrappy little thing!

somber and JA Cumbo like this.
  19. ramray

ramray New Member

I have a 2014 Dart GT with the 6 spd manual;
    -the manual is not Korean but an Alfa-Romeo Fiat Abarth unit
    -it has firmer springs and suspension (off an Alfa I believe) for better handling but a harsher ride. It really turns like a sports car!
    -the 2.4 is a stronger engine than the high-strung, turbo lagging 1.4T so is better suited for aggressive driving.
    I love mine.

tlc likes this.
  20. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I bought the Dart nearly 2 years ago and don't like it at all.

In fact-- I like it so little that I'm waiting for someone to crash into me so's I can be done with it on someone else's dime.

Darts are terrible cars.