Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be wary?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by iNeon, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Why don't you just sell it or trade it in? CarMax will give you an offer that's good for 7 days and you don't have to buy there. Neighbor friends of ours sold their old minivan to CarMax which had several issues (AC and brakes among them). CarMax gave them far more then I thought they would.

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

What's your issues with it?

3. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I'd blame Sergio's big mouth for lowering the car's resale value and marketability-- I bought the dang thing two weeks before he opened his mouth and bashed the thing as unredeemable. But I also owned two Chrysler compacts before this one and know they're throw-away cars after 10 years or 150-200,000 miles. The materials in modern cars are just too biodegradable and the appearance suffers too much for the cars to be respectable.

I'm meticulous in detailing, I service them to the letter-- drive them both lovingly and aggressively. My old PT Cruiser had synthetic ATF+4 gear oil in it's transmission before it was even out of warranty. It just isn't going to happen that carmax or an individual gives me anywhere near the $10,500 that's owed on the car. It's a 2015 Aero manual with 28k miles. Navigation, footwell lighting, Madness piggyback engine ECU with JBL speakers all around.

That makes me sad because I didn't take a bad deal or overfinance the thing-- it's just worthless.

4. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

It's not comfortable.

It is cramped inside for being humongous on the outside. This thing is as big as my first-generation Taurus.

It vibrates every hard plastic panel (including deep in the dash) to buzzing-- which drives me up the wall.

It is expensive to service.

The suspension/tires feels like one is plowing through gravel under about 25, when slowing to a light.

The trim pieces scuff if you look at them cross-eyed(and I'm amblyopic!!)

The outboard upholstery stitching is pulling/pilling in a strange way and I don't believe it will last.

The engine bucks, surges and I feel like maybe the mounts are bad already? This one I can't say is terrible because i did respond to the sound and swell of power it gives.

The Bluetooth quit for a couple days once, and I fantasize about overclocking/rechipping the dang thing because it's uConnect is a very slow interface.

The steering has a very unsettling feeling when turning at a slow speed- feels like an elephant on rollerblades. Almost like the tires stop gripping at some point in the turn, or turn in so severely that they go onto an outer edge. It is not normal.

The front fenders aren't rolled-- along the edges in the engine compartment there's just huge negative space and one can easily see the cars substructure. It doesn't seem finished. Anywhere.

It all may be minor quibbles, but this is just not the kind of car I expected after having the neon and PT. Both of them were better at everything.

The PT runs smoother and quieter, to this day-- and rattles less. I actually bought the Dart because it was supposed to be a huge improvement and much nicer/quieter-- I got rid of the (2008, 110k mile manual) PT because it developed a rattle in the passenger's door. What a mistake.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what they were aiming for with this car then, if that's the case. I considered one, earlier on, within a couple of years after the Darts release. I was viewing one at the dealership and it looked pretty good inside and out. It really looked the part anyways. Sitting in it made me feel like I was on the ground however. I just didn't think it was spacious inside or had the illusion of being spacious. I passed an got an Avenger instead. Very happy with it.

6. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I've had plenty of issues with my 2013 Dart Limited and really tired of it too at this point but I have to contradict a few things. It is only cramped in the back, not the front. My friend who is 6'7" 280 can fit in the front and that's with a sun roof. My bluetooth module went out and had to be replaced and so far it's been fine. Not sure about this Uconnect slow thing, but my 8.4 system is very fast compared to almost all systems I have seen from other manufacturers. I've had no low speed steering tire issues at all too. I did have transmission and engine mounts changed though and I will concur that the ride of the car is not great over bumps. The suspension gives a loud thunk and you think something is going to break. It is a fantastic riding car on smooth road though. So yeah, it's a hit or miss car. It had great potential and if you understand the history of the car you would also understand it was designed rather quickly and forced into production to meet the federal bailout requirements. The sad thing about the Dart is I am quite sure the cancelled refresh would have addressed a lot of the issues and we would have had a very good Dart by now. I spoke with a couple of service advisers the other day while I was waiting for my Dart's oil change. They remarked how awful the 2012-2014 Darts were but they both said the 2015/16 ones seem to be great. Also, I had 2002 and 2006 PT Cruiser before the Dart. I cannot agree, the PT Cruiser wasn't any better then my Dart experience so far. Both my PT's had motor mount issues and last one's transmission went bad, all before 100,00 miles. I'd gladly take a Dart over my PT Cruisers.

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I never had a chance to own one, but I sat in a 2013 Dart at Carlisle, and I thought it was very comfortable, visibility was good. I'm 5'9" and had plenty of room in the front, and when I adjusted the front seat, I sat in the back without my knees touching the back of the front seats. Ergonomics of the controls seemed good. I was hoping to buy a new one in 2016-17, but SM took care of that. Since then, I have heard that the 2013 had many issues, from body integrity to clutches to suspension wearout. I can't afford another car right now, but in a few years, maybe a used 2016 Dart is in the cards, if it has worn its age well. Otherwise, hoping FCA will have something suitable to me before my car situation gets desperate.

8. tlc

tlc Active Member

I have a 2016. It is very comfortable. Just drove 14 1/2 hours. Stopping only twice. Didn't get fatigued or sore. Has the 2.4 and averaged a little over 38 on the highway.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The one guy also had an aero which is a basic as you can get and stripped down as far as the dart would let you to get the most mpg. I have a 15gt with no issues. The biggest down side for me is i wish it had more power or came in a hatchback. The only real "issue" is the auto searching for what gear it feels like being in but once you learn the car you can figure out how much gas to give it to help it out

10. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Early Aero cars had the base SE/SXT hubcaps and dash displays but received a fairly significant bump in equipment levels for 2015. Things like digital dash, 8.4" uConnect and racetrack lighting for the interior and rear lamps.

Later Aero cars also got model-specific turbine alloys, as well as automatic headlamps and telephone/music controls on a leather steering wheel.

It's all just lipstick on a pig of a car-- a car that seems to have been designed by simply locking 4 Italians in a Fiat 500 after a lunch of hearty fagioli.

11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Wow. Just wow. Hate much?

12. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I was promised more.

13. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It sounds like he's had a lot of actual problems which would sour someone on a car.

But it also sounds like he didn't do adequate research or test driving before buying the car. A lot of his complaints are things that would have been discovered with a proper test drive and some research. Sounds like he was expecting a SRT4, didn't get it, and now has a case of buyer's remorse.

14. 76 Beeper

76 Beeper Active Member

I have a 2013 SXT with the 1.4 Multiair and 6 speed - nothing but good things to say so far.
    Bought it used from a Chrysler dealership - it was never privately owned. Currently there is 30,000 kms (18,600 miles) on it
    I did the waste-gate rod adjustment and she's nice and peppy now.

tlc likes this.
  15. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

I've thought about trying to locate a wrecked SXT or Limited for the seats and door panels-- I think the Aero seats and door panels/glass might be lighter, but are of poorer quality?

Every piece of the car rattles and it just can't be that way. I will not abide a car that runs and rides so roughly that it rattles the dash and door panels at 28,000 miles.

Smoothness/rattles may not be an accurate measure of projected reliability-- but I'll tell you what-- they don't inspire confidence. A smooth running engine is a longer running engine, and a quieter, better fit interior lasts longer.

Jesus Christ-- I've had the trunk closing handles fall off in my hand a half dozen times now. They pop right back on, but I just don't like reassembling my 'new' car this often and I would like others to know.

16. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

What "trunk closing handles"? My SXT has none, it is called my hand. You all bash the Dart, but I begin to wonder if you even have one. I do, it is going on 5 years old and I have had zero problems. The only thing that rattles is the visor on very rough roads.

somber likes this.
  17. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

My daughter still likes her 2013 Limited - closing in on 100K miles. Some of her Toyota-driving friends are impressed with her car, especially the interior and features.

Ian and MPE426HEMI like this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The common thread seems to be the Aero car. People who have the less basic trim levels seem to have a better built, higher quality vehicle. Aero sacrificed too much.
    This poster is far from the only one complaining about the Aero model.

19. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

The handles to the left and right of the trunk lid latch.

2015 Dart Aero, VIN 1c3cdfdh7fd267727-- Registered to Dustin Sitz (me) in Broward County Florida.

I assure you I own a Dart-- and I promise you it's the worst car I've ever owned.

I've had $400 cars that ran more reliably and smoothly. This car can kiss it.

20. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

Fellas and ladies-- I'll apologize if anyone's taken offense. My dialogue isn't meant to attack or to belittle anyone's car, anyone's choice or anyone personally.

I'm genuinely taken-aback by how crass and mannerless this particular car is. The car wasn't easy to find in this configuration and so the test drive happened in an unfamiliar town-- maybe I -was- paying more attention to Miami traffic than to the behavior of the car.

It's also humongous compared to the PT Cruiser it replaced, much wider feeling. That's something I wanted after knocking elbows in the PT and perhaps something that took some getting used to. Another thing I had to watch on the test drive that maybe took my attention from the buzzy/rattly trim. The shifter is about 1000% better than the PT's was-- almost on par with the neon's pretty perfect shifting.

I guess it isn't a terrible car- just the worst 'new' one I've owned. That's no victory. I spent the last week in and out of hire cars in DC and Dart certainly bests Outlander/Sentra/Altima/Carolla/Mirage. It's just not as refined as it felt initially. Got really loose really fast.

The plan now is to work toward a 300-- it's got to be quieter, smoother and more comfortable than the Dart. I wish I weren't planning my next car already. That's what gives me the bad attitude.

Devildodge and somber like this.