AF: Sick of Jeep. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of Jeep.

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Vet101, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

1. Vet101

Vet101 Active Member

So the brand purchased by Chrysler so many years ago is now taking over Chrysler. Jeep was a product made for Mud Running Cultists. The vehicles were loud and had lousy mileage ratings and most of the models still have lousy mileage ratings. Fiat keeps pilling new Jeep models every year but claims to not have money for Chrysler. Why a pickup for Jeep? Why not a Ram midsize truck instead. It looks like in 5yrs only Jeep, Fiat and Alfa Romeo will exist. At that point you can be certain that I will never purchase another vehicle from them again.

2. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

A big Rolls Eyes emoji at this topic....

CDJSalesPro, finc.jb, BEEAH and 11 others like this.
  3. Chebby7

Chebby7 Active Member

4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Because it's their brand and they can do whatever the bleep they want to do with it.

Face_With_Rolling_Eyes_Emoji_large.png

The fact of the matter is, Jeep is profitable, and not mired in "Chrysler" history. Their marketing is excellent and they make money. Simple as that. Get over it, this isn't the 60s-80s anymore.

finc.jb, butJohnDoe, AlfaCuda and 8 others like this.
  5. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I want Jeep to have huge success on as many vehicle lines as possible because it's good for America. Buy Jeeps!
    But I get what he's saying in the sense that what happened to the flagship of this company, Chrysler. I feel like the backbone of the industry has been abandoned when I drive by mopar dealerships and I don't see rows and rows of sedans and coupes. The 300 should be selling 400,000 units a year. The 200 should still be around, selling 250,000 units a year. At least that many!

6. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

If not for Chrysler, Jeep wouldn't exist.

If not for Jeep, Chrysler wouldn't exist.

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It’s not the fault of Jeep that some of the other brands have been poorly managed. Jeep generates a tremendous amount of revenue, and produces vehicles that customers are obviously willing to pay for. That should in theory, along with the other revenue-generating brands, lead to more and better resources for the struggling brands...assuming they know what to do with those brands in order to help them in the first place. So that comes back to management, or lack thereof.

8. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

This attraction consumers have for Jeep borders on obsession: it is neither rational nor sustainable. At some point the market is going to have enough of Jeep and move on. Particularly since the customer experience and the quality are not where they need to be to sustain those sales, prices and profits.

It wouldn't be the first time consumers grow tired of a brand and move on. Buick and Oldsmobile were selling 1 MILLION UNITS EACH in the late 1970s and early 1980s; ten years later GM couldn't give them away. Granted, a Wrangler is more unique than an Cutlass, but Buick and Oldsmobile had much superior quality and customer treatment than Jeep ever did.

But the owners of FCA don't give a hoot; they will milk this cow until its utters bleed. After that, it will be PSA's problem.

9. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

Well said Aldo.

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It seems that every day man can learn something new. So Agnellis will not be the largest shareholder in Stellantis? That's what you've implied.

11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It looks like that You don't know shareholder composition of PSA, not the future shareholders structure of Stellantis.
    The control will be in the hands of Agnelli + Peugeot families that have more interests in common than, for example, can be found between Peugeot family and french state.
    Ask yourself why the honding company will be based in The Netherlands. The answer is very simple, double vote rights.

AlfaCuda, romalerig, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  12. aldo90731

If that’s the case, the cow milking will likely continue until Jeep becomes completely worthless and gets discarded.

Unfortunately, no company that provides the customer service or quality gaffes FCA has us used to survives in the long term. Jeep may be a strong brand but it is not immune to the laws of the market.

Best possible scenario at this point is that Tavares brings his zeal to Stellantis and shapes things up. That is, provided the Agnellis let him do his job.

tomit, Chebby7, Donte Lindsey and 4 others like this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Other brands are (or will be soon) offering more rugged versions of their vehicles...even if it's only appearance packages...it may be enough to draw customers away from Jeep, or more heavily saturate the market with "rugged" vehicles that could hasten the coming of the end of the "fad" (if everyone on your street has a "rugged" vehicle, does it diminish one's desire to purchase one if it's no longer unique?). If you can get the rugged look of a Jeep, but in a vehicle from a brand that you know and trust, there may be reduced incentive to actually buy a Jeep at that point perhaps.

14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Isn't that what Subaru has already been doing...and quite successfully...for at least the last couple of decades?

I'm surprised more brands haven't already tried to ape what Subaru is doing?

P.S. All due apologies to any apes out there. No Species-ism was intended:p:D

#14 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 17, 2020 at 1:12 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 1:18 AM
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Oh great, pick on the apes, why don't you? You DO realize this is 2020??!! Ticking off the apes is probably just what the world needs to tip it into some apocalypse that results in the apes taking over, all the remaining humans losing the ability to speak, and Charlton Heston running around until he finds a half-buried statue of liberty....and it'll...be...all....your....FAULT!!! (in my best Charlton Heston voice). :D

16. aldo90731

I don't see Jeep owners going to Subaru; BOF is still a big deal. But I can see Ford and Toyota offering alternatives.

Tony K, danbek, cygnus and 1 other person like this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, but besides Wrangler are there any other BOF Jeeps...Wagoneer? All the others pretty much could find competitors from any other brand if they wanted to make their offerings more off-road worthy. Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee could all easily have competition if the other brands wanted to go that route.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

In the new proposed board, where there is no Mike Manley, two persons have executive power, Tavares and Elkann.

As for offroad more or less capable outside U.S.A. market there is more choice and more competitors, and even the Jeep Wrangler is not so used as one could think. Every market have different needs, niches, ... it depends on management to take opportunities and needed risk, but not always things go as expected.
    Market also in last years moves faster than the sector expected, switch in customers needs is faster (also due to economic shift of population, many will lower income vs. past, few ones with more income).

p.s.: if it was for me I would only sell Jeep vehicles with 4x4 systems, being mechanic. electric or whatever type. The 4x2 (but also 4x4) for the other brands.

#18 MJAB, Oct 17, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    cdjr77 and ScramFan like this.
  19. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Toyota is discontinuing the Land Cruiser (which is BoF) after 2021 MY. Not exactly an overlap there between Wrangler customers and Land Cruiser customers, but one less BoF vehicle on the market.

20. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I drove a new 2021 Toyota 4Runner last night. That I know of, the changes between this one and last year's model are not that great. It did serve to remind me of something. Jeep should worry more about Toyota's reaction to the upcoming Ford Bronco, than about the Ford Bronco itself.

77 Monaco Brougham and aldo90731 like this.