AF: Sick of Jeep. | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of Jeep.

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Vet101, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

1. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

Toyota isn’t discontinuing LC. They are just not going to offer the J200 in the US after 2021. I’m assuming that the Lexus trim version of J200 (LX) will still be sold Usa as well as Lexus version of Land Cruiser Prado (GX). The true Toyota competitor to the Wrangler is Land Cruiser 70 which is sold everywhere else except US.

2. Vet101

Vet101 Member

Your logic is a bit skewed. By the same token, if Chrysler advertised and had some concepts, Jeep wouldn'd be on top.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Rumor has it that Toyota is completely rethinking its BOF strategy. Apparently, it is developing a new frame that will be shared across Tundra, Tacoma, and a FJ Cruiser/4Runner/Land Cruiser replacement. It will make its first appearance under all-new 2022 Tundra, with a hybrid powertrain being an intrinsic part of the equation.

4. aldo90731

To add to this: Chrysler —and Dodge— were highly profitable at one time, too.

Profitability today is no guarantee of profitability tomorrow. A brand needs to be managed properly: its reputation needs to be maintained, nurtured and adjusted over time. With quality and the customer experience as the cornerstone of that reputation.

5. aldo90731

Indeed. 4Runner uses a discontinued 4.0 V6 and an antiquated 5-speed automatic, and still sells 150,000 - 175,000 units/year. If that doesn’t speak about Toyota’s brand strength and owner loyalty nothin else does.

Just wait until an updated version comes out...

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

That's not true either. If Chrysler had concepts they wouldn't be about off-road or practical outdoor capabilities, they'd be about whatever the idea behind the concept was. Odds are it would have nothing to do with what Jeeps image is. That image is what sells. Chrysler has no image. It's got two and a half cars. None of which will ever speak to a Jeep enthusiast.

Dodge has horsepower and the hellcats working for them. Sure they're on antiquated platforms that they keep extending the life of, but honestly, they're printing money, why stop now?

Fiat? Honestly I think the marketing was never there for it. Like seen with the Dart and 500, they don't know how to market small cars in the US.

#26 suzq044, Oct 17, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM
  7. aldo90731

Dodge’s “performance” halo is a mirage: brand sales are down by half; the future of the plant that makes Charger and Challenger is uncertain; Durango’s replacement is uncertain. Dodge’s future doesn’t seem all that bright.

valiant67 and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  8. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents...but I think Fiat's entire business case in North America rested on the price of gasoline being $ 4.50 per gallon. When that didn't happen...neither did Fiat.

Dart was guilty of the crime of being only ONE car trying to cover TWO segments...compact and mid-size. It turned out not good enough as either.

The 200?...What an idiotic idea trying to copy whatever passes for 'design language' over at Hyundai.:rolleyes:

Vet101 likes this.
  9. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I agree with that. The 200 didn't look like a Chrysler. While okay looking it lacked substance and stance.
    Nothing about the styling got it noticed.

10. suzq044

Except that c pillar.

Tony K likes this.
  11. Vet101

Vet101 Member

I didn't say anything about off-road or outdoor capabilities. That can stay with Jeep. Chrysler is supposed to be about luxury. Where are the luxury versions of SUV's like Lincoln or Cadillac has. I want luxury looks and ride, not a $50k Jeep truck that looks like a $25k vehicle. I had a 2013 300C and loved it. But the model hasn't change so now I have a 2018 Dodge Daytona. It's a fantastic vehicle but if that isn't redesigned soon, Lincoln here I come.

willy4110 likes this.
  12. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

No offense to the op or those who've replied.. but this is absurd discussion.

Maybe its 2020 fever and we're all frustrated.

Tony K, suzq044 and hmk123 like this.
  13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the big thing about Subaru is. Jeep alone sells more vehicles than all of Subaru. Many of the Jeeps are considered high margin too. Why copy a lesser seller? I do not say not to watch them for good ideas. Probably their best is Symmetrical 4 wheel drive. Having 4 equal axles cuts costs and helps with steering torque issues but it still has little wheel travel and a lot of front overhang.

14. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Aldo, that is Utter, Utter Bullswool !!

Now pull the Udder one.!!

You are certainly Milking it for all its worth...the Hide of you!!!

Just wait till they release the "Jeep 300" trailhawk edition, 4x4 Hemi SRT limo.

The Jeep Monaco, and Jeep Imperial have a nice ring to it.

Can't wait for the new Jeep Challenger, the cross country sports coupe.....with 3 cupholders and Rubicon rated!!

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yes! Oh wait...you're just kidding...yeah, I knew that....yeah...that'd be silly...no one would want that....except me....:(:(

:p:D

16. aldo90731

You are not alone. I didn’t get the humor either.

17. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I got the humor...But I'd like to give it back!:D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw
    I'll be here each evening through next week. Please try the Salmon Almondine for dinner, with the authentic Portuguese Flan for dessert...Delicious...And...Please be generous when tipping your waitress.:p:D

#37 77 Monaco Brougham, Oct 18, 2020 at 3:54 AM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 4:11 AM
    Tony K likes this.
  18. suzq044

My point was that Jeep has an image. The image of adventure, to go out and do something, even if you can't.. Jeep makes you want to. As for luxury, have you not seen an overland summit or the Wagoneers? Jeep has a little something for everyone, except sedans and coupes. They wouldn't fit the image.

Dodges image is muscle and performance. Hellcat, hellephant, demon.. the home of SRT.
    Just because Dodge sales are down doesn't mean they're not doing well. We've had this stupid covid thing affecting everything, officially, for almost 8mos now.

RAM, I don't even need to speak about.

Chrysler has no image. "They have that minivan right?" "Don't forget the 300!" You don't even know what they're supposed to be anymore, with Jeep taking the luxury helm.

wilbur likes this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Nah, I was referring to the Jeep Challenger. That’s a monstrosity I’d like to see for Halloween! :p

Tony K likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Well, I guess we are lucky we didn’t get a Jeep 500X.

Oh, wait...

Tony K likes this.