AF: Slant 6 exhaust pipe | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slant 6 exhaust pipe

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by gearhead, Jan 3, 2015.

1. gearhead

gearhead Well-Known Member

Is a 1-3/4" exhaust pipe too small for a 225? What is a good size pipe to use? "Performance" isn't the main consideration, fuel mileage is.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

1 ¾" shouldn't cause any performance or economy issues in normal driving and may even help low-end torque. Fitting it to the inlet of a muffler may require an adapter unless you can come with a 1 ¾" inlet muffler.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

If you are replacing the pipe, that is a good size, and if you are just wanting to make sure there is enough restriction and proper flow, remember the rule, the exhaust system is only as large as its smallest diameter/cross section of pipe. So, if the pipe itself that is on there, for example, is 2 inches, putting an adapter and muffler of 1 3/4 inch diameter will be the final overall flow of the exhaust system. It goes the other way, too, a larger 2 inch muffler and end pipe on a 1 3/4 inchhead pipe is not going to help at all.

4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Who would straddle a 440 with a smaller Twin exhaust than 2 inch?
    2/ 225=450 cui....

5. gearhead

What size did the factory use on a 440 with a single exhaust?

6. gearhead

I'm building from scratch. I've got plenty of 1-3/4" Harley exhaust pipes. The exhaust that was on the truck was cobbled together and the head pipe had a huge hammer ding in it to clear the oil pan rail. A "standard" slant 6 head pipe won't work because my truck has the low mount starter.

7. gearhead

Another question. Will a gear reduction starter fit in place of the direct drive low mount starter?

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Smaller valves, smaller lift on the cam, all around a 225 will never put out the exhaust capability of a 440, or half a 440. 1.75 inch will be large enough for a slant six all day long.
    As far as I know, 2.25 was stock for 44os.

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

I dont Think your right....it was Rick Ehrenberg that put the equation in my head once but i cant find the article
    in mopar action.
    http://www.dutra.org/doug/doug-sl6-exhaust/dual-duals/dual-duals.htm

10. gearhead

AC TC,
    You do realize that anything slant 6 related that Doug Dutra has anything to do with is "high performance", right?

11. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Bob Lincoln and ImperialCrown like this.
  12. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

"Is a 1-3/4" exhaust pipe too small for a 225? What is a good size pipe to use? "Performance" isn't the main consideration, fuel mileage is. "

Ok dutra does build performance parts but sometimes its the same thing as fuel economy parts.
    - but a 1 3/4 tube isnt even big on a 2 litre Engine let alone a 3.7 litre (225 cui) one.
    Exhaust backpressure is always unwanted but dont confuse backpressure for the chock wave that a tuned
    system uses, that is effectively a timed pressure wave. The "dead" backpressure of a restrictive exhaust only causes pumping losses for the Engine and thus it uses more fuel and runs hotter.
    Id say that a 2 1/4 would be a good bet and use low restriction dampers.

Bob, the link you provided was ok but clearly made for industrial use.

13. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Do you think the numbers change because this is for automotive? They dont.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I see no reason why not. Needless to say: match up both starters very carefully; especially the nose dimensions as well as the number of teeth, etc. Why I say that is apparently some of the Canadian Slant Sixes used a different starter than our USA vehicles till about 1967, 'our' Slants used the same starter as the V8's. I know for a fact that a 1988-03 5.2L/5.9L ND Mopar starter bolts right up to a 1966 318 Poly.

15. gearhead

The exhaust manifold outlet is only 1.980"dia., so 2"dia. pipe is the maximum that would possibly be of any benefit.

16. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

IIRC the 1978 Aspen station wagon with 225 cid slant 6 and 2bbl Carter BBD carburetor that was in my family had 1.875-inch pipes.

17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I remember it was advertised as having a 2" exhaust pipe.........I had a 78 Fun Runner Volare w/2bbl six.

18. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Its only partly true that the weakest part makes all the pressure, its actually the sum of all pressure fall that
    ends up as backpressure. But you can never get lower values than the weakest part gives.

19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

And with that, if is a single 1.75 tube without kinks or bends that restrict flow and remember, kink bending was and is very common, including the double walled pipes buckling and causing the the inner pipe to collapse and shrink the passages (hacksawed many an old pipe to see it), which is why mandrel bent pipes are better, and 1.75 is going to be slightly smaller than stock, if it is 2.00 inch stock (probably 1.875), it is going to breathe better than stock, but not to the point of being performance.

Bob Lincoln likes this.