AF: Slant 6 rebuild - cylinder head plug needed | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slant 6 rebuild - cylinder head plug needed

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by George Conboy, Jun 2, 2020.

1. George Conboy

George Conboy Member

In the middle of an engine rebuild for my 1965 Valiant 200 Wagon. There's a plug in my cylinder head and the plug is cracked. Tried the suppliers I've used in the past (Bernbaum, Roberts Motor Parts, Kanter) but no luck. Any idea where I might find one?

2. George Conboy

George Conboy Member

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I had a 63 Valiant wagon. My first car in 1976. 170 3 on the tree originally. 170 became tired and we installed a freshly rebuilt 225. Much much better. Sold it in 77 and bought a 72 Duster.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 1965 Mopar parts catalog shows no freeze plugs (also called core plugs or soft plugs) on the slant-6 head, only on the block. There is a threaded plug in the head for vehicles that didn't have the optional heater.
    There was a head redesign in 1974 where it got one freeze plug.
    I don't think that this is a freeze plug. Can you find and post a picture of it from the internet?

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a spark plug tube??

Thanks
    Randy

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Can the OP post a photo?

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

If it's a threaded plug as IC describes, and you can remove it, you might want to measure the thread size (if you don't have the device for that, a parts store might), then see if you have any strong bolts in your bolt jar or on your work bench that are an exact fit. Or buy one from a hardware store. That might work until you find a supplier that has the correct OEM or after-market plug.

8. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter