AF: Slant-six diesel | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slant-six diesel

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Stéphane Dumas, May 19, 2020.

1. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

2. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

I Missed Out on Getting a Souvenir Slant Six-Six Diesel Connecting Rods at Trenton Engine.
    There was a Set of Rods in Layout Inspection Under a Work Bench for Years.
    I Didn't get Around to Collecting them Up. They "Disappeared" before Before I Went Looking for Them.
    There Were About as Massive as a Big Block Hemi Rod, but were in the Long Slant-Six Length.

Dave Z, ScramFan and KCP Worker like this.
  3. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

There were three aluminum slant six blocks in our basement for years. Would have liked to gotten one. Hope someone did, instead of being melted down.

ScramFan likes this.
  4. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

There was a Couple of Aluminum Block "Floating" Around Trenton Engine Up into the 90's.
    The Old Toolmakers Spoke Trying to Machine them.
    The Problem is they Tried to Use Cast Iron Speeds and Feed Rates on the Block Machining Line.
    I Didn't Work Very Well Scrap Rates were 80 to 90 Percent.

Dave Z, MJAB, valiant67 and 1 other person like this.
  5. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Member

I always the impression the Chrysler R&D team on this diesel version took a more conservative approach trying to figure out where the weak link is with reusing existing gas engine manufacturing facilities. GM as I understood, the Olds Diesel did have Detroit Diesel assisting with its design but recommended not using the same head bolt design as a Olds 350 gasser since it can't handle the higher compression, and hey guess what....

Dave Z and superduckie5000 like this.
  6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Maybe OK for a truck engine, but I don't think it wouldn't have been successful as a passenger car engine. After the Oil Embargo/Energy Crisis of 1973 and the ever increasing emissions requirements for gasoline engines, the diesels and alternative 'motive' devices were being researched.
    I had seen taxis and Jeeps fitted with Perkins diesels and we did use a Mitsubishi diesel in the Rams:
    Perkins diesel engines (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/perkins.html )
    How Mitsubishi Diesels Got Into 1978 Dodge Rams (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/mitsubishi-diesel.html )
    With the computer-controls, turbo/intercoolers, Bosch diesel injector technologies (BlueTec) and highly-refined (ULSD) diesel fuel that we have today, diesel-powered passenger cars would still be a toss-up. Europe and other parts of the world are a different story.
    The EcoDiesel is pretty quiet and odor-free for a diesel. I do like the low-end torque of a diesel.
    EcoDiesel - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EcoDiesel )
    With robust construction and a 4.125" (105mm) stroke, the 225 would have probably been a fairly nice diesel.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Dont whant to bash the slant but if you tear a 3.7 liter 6 cylinder diesel down you realize how much more beef it has in its block than a slant.
    - sadly i belive that they would just have made their own"olds diesel" disaster. ( glad they ducked that bullet.)