AF: So.... New Dodge Neon in Mexico? | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So.... New Dodge Neon in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by tomaz, Feb 14, 2016.

1. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The 1.6 gas motor is the old Neon engine, reworked over time, made in Brazil, I believe.

4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I think it a good looking vehicle for the class.... Content up the interior and put in on the lot as a 100 to bring feed traffic.

Prabhjot likes this.
  5. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

And just don't call it a number. (AKA Chrysler 100)

6. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

I could see a version of this as a new Dart or 100 for the US. This new Neon may not work for Americans or Canadians, but it's a better fit for the compact segment. Unfortunately, Sergio is failing to see why this market is still one of the highest volume in our country. Dart's size isn't the problem, it was the lack of powertrain options and refinement at launch then coupling that with an anemic 1.4T for a car that weighs in the mid-size category. Fuel economy also not being a strong point as it's at the bottom of the class. We all know the Dart was cobbled together in a hurry so Fiat could get their hands on the rest of Chrysler, so why not rework that strategy.

Preferably I'd rather they make a 100 that is more upscale than the Dart and price it directly against the new Civic. The SUSW platform is supposedly substantially lighter than the CUSW, so why not couple that with the 9AT and new "Hurricane" engine for the US & Canada? Most of the current compacts are headed to the 106.3" wheelbase, so keeping the model relatively the same size as the Dart wouldn't be an issue. Take the current Dart's driving dynamics with the lighter product, give it a few additional body styles, make AWD optional on all models and Chrysler's more contemporary interior styling--you've created a superior vehicle.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

The Chrysler Concorde would like a word with you.

XRT2SRT likes this.
  8. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

The car was not the problem it was the marketing of the Dart. Wrong target audience, and not enough advertising. The Dart is a fine vehicle. I'm afraid it now too late for the marketing to recover.

9. waspie

waspie Active Member

meh. as a fan of compacts to me the car *Was* the problem. its not particularly good looking, its fat, its heavy, its thirsty. its a pig.

the tipo on the otherhand i think looks fantastic.

tryphon, Prabhjot and flffddy like this.
  10. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

You being a car guy are aware of the weight. The average customer wouldn't. Marketing failed to get the customers in the door for it. It has the nicest interior in the price range. Get them in to see it and it will sell.

I agree the Tipo looks great. I hope they bring all body styles in as a Hornet/Neon/100.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The average customer might not be aware of the weight, but they would be aware of having poor economy and mid-class (at best) acceleration. I found it interesting that the Mazda3 has more legroom (front+rear combined), lower weight, faster acceleration, and better mileage, all at once. Swap a Dart cabin in there and it'd be a killer... and that's why I see around ten times as many Mazda3s as Darts where I live. 'Course where I live, I also see ten times as many BMWs as Mazdas (combined). (Drive here at your own risk. I am counting the months...)

Prabhjot likes this.
  12. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

You talking the "Discourteous BMW Driver" stereotype? Sadly, most of my encounters with BMW's on the road confirm the stereotype.

XRT2SRT and duster92 like this.
  13. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Stereotypes exists for a reason.

duster92 likes this.
  14. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Chevrolet used Bob Seger's "Like a Rock".
    Chrysler could use Bob Seger's, "Feel like a Number".

This is a good driving verse.

Gonna cruise out of this city
    Head down to the sea
    Gonna shout out at the ocean
    Hey it's me
    And I feel like a number
    Feel like a number

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  15. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

Yep. I think it was both.
    The Dart kicked off with at least one pretty snappy ad ("how to design a great car") and that seems like their last attempt. It's a good looking car by most accounts but not outrageously good looking enough to market itself out on the road.

Even if it was, Dave's comments likely explain why they might have had trouble sealing the deal.

Honestly, the C Segment is a brutal one to break into. The standards in this class (Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc) are really superb at this point. Had Chrysler kept at it with the Neon line, we might be having a different conversation.

It's interesting how the Caliber (which supplanted the Neon, obviously) was right on the money as a truckish/compact crossover (with available AWD) but was just such a turd to drive that it never caught on. This type of car is everywhere now!

jken02 likes this.
  16. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

More legroom for Mazda 3? o_O In Europe Mazda 3 is one of the most cramped cars in compact class despite its longest wheelbase in the class. It's no better than Alfa Giulietta which has more than 6 cm shorter wheelbase and certainly it offers much worse rear leg room than new FIAT Tipo.

Actually I like Mazda, it's the only Japanese car maker with decent exterior and interior styling.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

SAE legroom measurements, front + rear.

Mike V. likes this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more! While the "corporate face" thing that modern car companies do is often tiresome, you have to admit that Dodge has a damn good look. It looks so much more polished and pleasing than the Fiat's treatment.

UsuallyObserving, jken02 and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I thought you sat behind yourself after you adjusted a front seat. In Europe we don't have a official measures.

BTW, I don't see a point in comparing a Beetle to Dart. For VW it's all going to newer MQB which is under current Golf VII.