Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who knows about K-Car cassette players?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Dodgem's Dad, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dodgem's Dad

Dodgem's Dad Member

I read all I could find online but still have questions. I like the silver-faced radios in my 84 Reliant and 85 600, but want to put a cassette player in the Reliant. I bought two off of eBay. One is all black with correct green lighting. It works well, I just have to lengthen the one connector. The other is black with silver buttons and looks better. While in good condition, only the clock works. I wonder if it is a problem in the pin connections not matching the appropriate contacts, rather that the radio not working.

How can I test the radio and where can I find a schematic to see what the connector pins do?

Thanks again!
    Justin

2. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Well, there's always the factory service manual for your Reliant.

Also, there's Jeremy Schrag's articles here on Allpar, starting at Chrysler Stereo Pages at Allpar (at https://www.allpar.com/stereo/ ) .

RwP

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If the connectors are the same shape, they are the same pinout. The radios were used across the FWD and RWD car lines as well as minivans and trucks.

You might consider transplanting the faceplate that looks nice onto another radio with working electronics.

4. Dodgem's Dad

Dodgem's Dad Member

Thank you both. I have the service manual for my car but can't refer to the one's for the radios I have acquired. I don't even know when they were made and don't know how to decipher the date codes.

So Mark, though I think your name should be Richard, aka Rich Corinthian-Leather, are you saying that these radios with the same plug color and shape should have the same pin layout and would match the array of the harness in my '84 Reliant? What about security? when did they start using anti-theft codes for the dealer to resolve?

I do have one thing to check, Jeremy Schrag's article mentioned that I may or may not have two wires going to the same outlet in the harness. I have to check that.

My '85 600 has an all silver dash so I could never go to a black radio, but the Reliant is a mix of black and silver around the instruments but with silver climate controls so I don't think it will be so bad.

I appreciate your time to contribute this. Thank you.
    Justin

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You can interchange any radio from the era (starting around 1983 when the clock was integrated then ending around 2000, depending on model when the rounded corner radios came out). For those two decades, the radio used the same connections. Physically, some for the “cloud” cars had an offset mounting bracket.

These radios were all long before security pins as far as I know.

6. Dodgem's Dad

Dodgem's Dad Member

So good to know this. Thank you again!

7. urr

urr Active Member

'net search -type in :chrysler stereo wiring diagram and look at the image selections that pop up.