Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft Top To Hard Top Color Change

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by RubiconFreedom, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Being that I'm attempting to convert from a Ford guy to a Mopar/Jeep Family.. I had a question with a future purchase of the last model year jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We figured that we would purchase a 2017 Unlimited with the basic soft top and order a hard top from Mopar seeing how they offer a color matching option for some models. However, Instead of the top being Black for a Gobi tan jeep, why cant we have the dealership/parts department switch the color code as to allow for a white top as seen on an all white jeep..

Although I said Gobi tan jeep we're actually narrowed down the choices to Gobi Tan or Chief Blue. Either way, we want the white top on either one of them instead of the typical black tops Jeep slaps on nearly ever jeep they sell. We wanted to see some change and mixing of colors.. Not so much so that we have a red top on a black jeep eww.. and we're not talking having the dealer remove a black top, send it to the painters to have them paint the black top white.. I'm talking a factory white top (I know they paint them) set up for our Gobi or Chief. I think the tops are actually different in that the black un-painted it textured and the Sahara top is smooth?.. or are they both textured?. Some one correct me please.
    • White or Gobi/Tan
    • White on Chief/Blue
    What color top option would best suit the Jeep Unlimited and can this even be done?..

2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

If they still had a dark green, tan top with green body (like the old Saharas) would be my choice. I bet the dealer can order one through Mopar.

RubiconFreedom likes this.
  3. Yeah I was thinking the same thing.. but is there a difference between tops for the Sport and Sahara? Cause like I said I don't want to end up having the dealership thinking they'll save money (and have me think I wouldn't notice) painting a texture black top the color I wanted.. I thought the Sahara or even the color match option Mopar offers paints a smooth top.

So I guess you're right, if Jeep still had the green color, all you would need to do is order a tan top off one of the Gobi colored jeeps. Wouldn't that color be close enough?

4. Did some digging.. Used the Mopar/shop site and located 4 tops jeep sells for the JKU..
    • Textured Black
    • Primed Paintable Surface
    • Black Clear Coat
    • Bright White
    It can be done, just have to talk to the right people and make sure you have the correct numbers in hand. I mean it would probably be easier for the dealership to have a black top painted, But I would know the difference.

So now my Jeep Color choices have increased from Gobi/Tan, Chief/Blue to maybe even the lime green..

5. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

6. @link3721 Actually one might think this.. but turns out 40K+ for this limited edition jeep isn't worth it.. it would be cheaper if I did what I was planing.. find the color as I stated above and simply add those options accessories as we go along. Having the limited edition available to us did give us a chance to see what it looks like.

Other than the white top.. the rest of the junk/graphics addons can be discarded. What would end up happening we'll find a suitable color, get the least amount of stuff on in, have the connectivity group and sirius removed and go against everything thing I've said bad about the 16'' wheels all in an effort to have a cut rate, clean slate to work from.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You'd be surprised how many used hard tops are out there. More are textured black ones, but if you look you may save a lot of money on a smooth painted top.
    I almost bought a used Wrangler Unlimited last fall and wanted a hard top for the winter. I found a few on Craigslist.

8. K thnx for the tip.. never considered that as an option. So with this in mind.. that would knock the price of the wrangler down by 3K according to the Mopar/Jeep brochure's 3 piece painted top.

What's at stake.. is I wouldn't be unable to mount the hard top myself.. I could prob manage removing the softtop.

9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's a two person job (or one person with a hoist) to install and remove the hardtop. It's not that the top is so heavy, it's bulky and awkward.

10. k the other reason, is that we're getting older and because of meds.. which if too much explorer to the sun light could cause a few issues we would not like to encounter. So having the hardtop as a permanent top would be our best solution to all weather especially ice down here in the south.