Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solex carb 1978 colt

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by 78colt, Aug 3, 2015.

1. 78colt

78colt New Member

I am looking for the Carb float measurement. for a solex SL-2 on a 1978 dodge colt, Plymouth arrow.

Can anyone help me out?
    All help greatly appreciated.

have high hydrocarbon in emissions in calif. will not pass have to adjust float.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. It should be a Mikuni carburetor? But it was a licensed Solex design.
    If it is a plastic float, it may be porous and have absorbed fuel. This will increase weight and sink the float. Simply adjusting it may not fix it. Float weight looks like 5.6g. I don't have the float spec handy.
    Have you confirmed that it is running rich? Misfire will increase HC.

3. 78colt

78colt New Member

Smog test shows High hydrocarbon and egr valve problem.new valve coming so only hydrocarbon problem.
    Instruction on rebuild kits says not to bend float but increase or decrease packing's. but Need to know what is proper height before proceeding. no misfire that I can tell. If you could locate the proper specs that would be great.
    Thanks for the info.
    Regards

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I vaguely remember the float setting as 12 mm (just under a 1/2"). You are correct that the float tang is not bent to achieve the correct setting. I remember that the carb rebuild kits included a few of the float needle seat 'washers' to set correct float height.
    HC is unburned fuel. If you think that it is rich, that would produce high CO. High HC is likely from cylinder misfire?

5. 78colt

78colt New Member

Thank you very much for your help. If next test does not pass and still shows high HC then I guess it is into the carb, new plug , or compression tests. Thanks for a place to start