AF: Some Electrical Issues | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by ntrodda, May 2, 2020.

1. ntrodda

ntrodda Active Member

Just put my 87 LeBaron back together after putting in a manual transmission. Starts up fine, but a few things don't work.

I have no radiator fan (tried new relay).

The climate control doesn't work, no display and no blower. Fuse is not blown and the buttons illuminate when I turn the headlights on.

Navigator does not work when the car is running, however if I push the Time button, it shows the time and date while I push the button like when the car is off.

Could these issues be related? I did not remove the ATC or Navigator or mess with the connections. It is possible I unplugged something, but when I look under the dash around the pedals I see nothing obvious. I'm sure it is something simple - but not sure where to start.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Double-check all the wiring. Something may be pinched or pulled apart, likely under the dash around the swing pedal bracket like the ignition switch connectors?
    If you dropped the steering column, it may have disturbed the ignition switch adjustment or connections.
    Dash illumination and the time/date-check button work on switched battery power. Radiator fan and HVAC climate control are on switched ignition power. Something is missing.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  3. ntrodda

ntrodda Active Member

The overhead console (temperature and compass) is not working as well.

Looking through the FSM and trying to troubleshoot each component, it seems to me like the common thread is the ignition switch. Would these fail partially - let the car start but other ancillary features don't work?

Are there any factory wiring diagrams available? I have the FSM on two CD's but there are no wiring diagrams. The Haynes manual has some, but not what I need.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

tomit and AllanC like this.
  5. ntrodda

ntrodda Active Member

I took the ATC fuse out and put my voltmeter across the terminals. No voltage key off, no voltage key on.

To verify, the radio works so I took the radio fuse out and checked for voltage across those terminals. No voltage key off, but got battery voltage with key on.

The ATC appears to get power from the ignition switch. Since there is no voltage with the key on - I hope I am right in deducing that the ignition switch is bad.

Thanks for your help!

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Do NOT hurry to condemn the ignition switch. ImperialCrown provided an excellent resource in that detailed wiring diagram for the ignition switch. Check the inputs to the ignition switch. I am thinking there is a failure on an input circuit (open circuit) and that is causing no switched power output from the switch to the ATC system and other devices. See attached image for specific explanation. Look for fusible link in a pink input wire.

Ignition Switch Detail.jpg