Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Renderings/Drawings I've done.

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by Cody's Car Conundrum, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Before I start I need to state that I have no idea what to call what I do. So some pointers what is it that I've done is appreciated. Now, let's get onto the images!

2016 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2018 Dodge Durango SRT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have more "stuff" than this but the rest kinda suck.

Im2old2 and DarkSky like this.
  2. Cody's Car Conundrum

(Sorry for the Page Stretch)

3. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

These look great! Nice job! May I ask what program you're using?

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  4. Cody's Car Conundrum

I use a Vector Image program called Krita: Krita | Digital Painting. Creative Freedom. (at https://krita.org/en/ )

I used to use Gimp but then my sister then told me that Gimp is a Rastar image program and if I wanted to be able to scale images then I'd better switch to one using Vector instead. I currently use a Beta version of Krita due to problems best described in this thread: Is this a file saving issue? • KDE Community Forums (at https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=140876 )

Thanks! A video of how the Durango came together is in the works but it took me 3 hours to do it even with a head start. I can't even imagine doing a car from scratch.

DarkSky likes this.
  5. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I used GIMP before I bought Photoshop, it was a pretty good program. I've never been able to get the hang of vector drawing myself.

6. Cody's Car Conundrum

Sadly I don't have the paycheck to afford Photoshop lol! Guess that's what I have Krita for haha.

Vector drawing isn't impossible for the most part. I find the most trouble with finding the right photos with the right angles to use though. Some photos don't show off enough detail from a certain angle and others cut stuff off like headlights and such. Detail also takes a ton of time, like the Viper and Durango above. Those are two of the most highly detailed cars I've done to date (although it was far too late to add the door handles onto the Durango when I realized they were missing XD).
    [​IMG]
    This was a '65 Dart I did a little while ago when I was using GIMP. The thing I love about being able to do what I can (now that I know how) is the ability it gives me to imagine the cars I'd need a sort of "Build and Price" tool to do but can't be found anywhere. I starting doing and realized I could make the dream/project Dart I've been thinking about for months here and now that I have the skill too.

The only downside is that I did it in GIMP. So there are a ton of ugly white dots in the model (because coloring in GIMP means you have to do it a pixel at a time. That sucked). I mean, I did a Jeep Renegade TrackHawk ACR render for Christ sakes. (It doesn't have wheels because I was terrible at doing them back then).
    [​IMG]
    Then you have the sort of Charger Ute! Which was done in Krita. As are the next two.
    [​IMG]
    I also did a sort of "Dodge Barracuda" rendering. Although the only thing this and the Challenger share are the lines for the doors. Otherwise the wheelbase (among other things were changed).
    [​IMG]
    And my personal favorite of the fictional cars: Gen 6 Dodge Viper. (The rims on these last two are terrible haha).
    [​IMG]

Im2old2 and DarkSky like this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

All of them look great! The Barracuda is my favorite. I'll admit I've photoshopped wheels and other things onto my car to see how they would look, it's very nice when you're wanting to customize your car but aren't sure if something will look right.

I've got the Adobe photography plan, includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom, and something else (can't remember) for $10 a month. That's the only way I could justify having Photoshop. I wasn't about to spend $500-$600 on a program. Might be something for you to look into.

Im2old2 and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  8. Cody's Car Conundrum

Yeah, it gives a totally new meaning to "Window Shopping" lol.

I'll have to take a look at that sometime in the future. Thankfully Krita is performing enough for my needs right now.

DarkSky likes this.
  9. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

...I've never paid for Photoshop in my life.

10. Cody's Car Conundrum

I smell some life hacks going on here (lol).

Im2old2 likes this.
  11. Im2old2

Level 2 Supporter

In watching a lot of these V.R. car programs on TV, I have noticed that the majority of them use the AutoCAD program. They wireframe the car (on the monitor) first, then render it into a solid. Essentially, it is a 3D drawing and it brings out as much detail as you want to put into the picture. You can find older versions of AutoCAD at Barnes & Noble a lot cheaper than buying it through a dealer. If you don't have a clue about CAD drawings, the "Dummies" books are VERY helpful. I'd try to find a later version of "AutoCAD For Dummies", as it has a more understandable format.

12. Cody's Car Conundrum

I'd definitely have to get those books along with the program. I mean I can't do Blender for the life of me as it is haha.

Thanks for informing me of this! I'll probably have to learn the program if a local college uses it for its Mopar CAI curriculum.

Im2old2 likes this.
  13. Im2old2

Level 2 Supporter

air-force-one-taxi-for-take-off.jpg
    Most community colleges teach this CAD program! If you learn it, you will never stop using it!! I have an elaborate CAD system and I am constantly drawing things. I LOVE to draw high-end homes that I will NEVER be able to own in real life! I have also drawn trailers, car carriers, tow dollies, water trailers, and dump trailers with hydraulics. I have drawn my little Lancer in every direction imaginable!! I used to design aircraft for the Boeing Company. My last contribution to Boeing was all the exit doors and the cockpit communications system in AIR FORCE ONE! This is Payne Field in Everette, Washington, the home of the Boeing 747...
    air-force-one-taxi-for-take-off.jpg

14. Cody's Car Conundrum

Good grief! How many cool people are on Allpar!? Because amount just seems to keep growing!!

Looks like I have one year to AutoCAD then! Lol. Maybe I'll be able to make some of those fictional drawings into more complete renderings.

wtxiceman and Im2old2 like this.
  15. Cody's Car Conundrum

Update! Finished this Challenger H-Cat yesterday! Only in one color though...... for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Cody's Car Conundrum

Next-gen Mid-size cars anyone? :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they aren't my best renders but this was just a general idea of what I'd like the next Mid-size cars to look like. Also, those taillights were supposed to be somewhat close to racetrack taillights. Clearly, I didn't do that well on that haha.

Edit: Those are based purely on my imagination. I have absolutely no idea what the next mid-size cars will look like.

17. Cody's Car Conundrum

The next Grand Cherokee isn't going to be code-named WG (to the best of my knowledge). WG is for the old Grand Cherokee (2nd gen, 1999-2004, export). Here's the platform codes list: Master Platform/Body Codes List (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/master-platform-body-codes-list.81103/ )

This aside, we're supposed to be getting a new Durango (and Grand Cherokee) by 2020. Not 2023.

User: RedRiderBob.

Thread: Automotive News FCA US Pipeline Article (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/automotive-news-fca-us-pipeline-article.168980/page-4 )

Post Number: 78.

18. Hashim Shaz

Hashim Shaz Member

There was a change of plans earlier this year I am talking about the next next grand Cherokee which is due in 2024 or thereabouts

19. Cody's Car Conundrum

While you're right that there has been a "change of plans" of sorts, I've yet to read any of the insiders hint at a new compact car. The closest thing to that is the new mid-size. Whether it'll be called Avenger or not is speculation. Although, whether or not it'll be called Avenger or not is something I'm greatly interested in.

So you're talking about the next Grand Cherokee to come after the one they're currently developing? Isn't it a little bit too early to talk about the Grand Cherokee to come after the one we haven't received yet?

With that being, I'd expect that car to come about 6 years after the release of the current (in development) one. But hey, we don't know what FCA's development pace is going to be like after this influx of new product. So it's very much in the air right now.

You're right, it could be delayed. However, that's the numbers we've got right now. So I'm just going to keep praying that those end up being the same numbers for when the vehicle comes out, haha.

20. Hashim Shaz

Hashim Shaz Member

It is never too early