Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Renderings/Drawings I've done.

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by Cody's Car Conundrum, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

More like 2023/2024. That aside? Are you asking me to do these cars? I don't quite understand why you're bringing these cars up.

Back over with the Grand Cherokee: I admire that you're looking so far into the future. However, I feel that with FCA, we really should be paying attention to what's in the immediate future. Not stuff that's a little bit further off. As those things even happening depend on how the vehicles before them (those currently in development) turn out.

2. Hashim Shaz

Hashim Shaz Member

I look into BOTH FUTURES

3. Cody's Car Conundrum

It's not that there are two separate timelines going on here. It's just that the immediately upcoming cars have more substantial evidence and information going for them. Whereas the cars after the ones coming up have no information or evidence to speak off. It's just guesswork based on nothing being thrown around at best. I really wouldn't spend too much time on that, there are more tangible things going on in the near future that's exciting and worth focusing on.

Secondly, what do you mean by "I look into both futures?" I don't mean to sound rude, but do you work for an auto publication and are looking for some "exclusive" news on the upcoming and (beyond in your case) cars?" If you are then you're looking in the wrong place asking me for questions. I'll only be able to tell you stuff that's already been said on the forum (there are threads around some of the cars you're wondering about too, they're worth a read).

Asking an insider is only going to get you as far as answers (from the insiders) that won't jeopardize their jobs. Even if you manage to get something really juicy, I HIGHLY recommend that you keep it to yourself. These people's lively hoods are at stake with the information they share, we don't want them to lose their jobs over it.

4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'm pretty sure he is a spammer. He has all kinds of random posts like these all over the forum.

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  5. Cody's Car Conundrum

Yeah, something's not right.

I don't understand what he's trying to get at with these one-liners but seeing all these random posts on the forum is mildly irritating.

6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

It is irritating to me too. I just haven't reported yet because I don't know what to call it. Probably spam? I don't know. I'm sure Dave and company will figure it out and clean it up.

GasAxe likes this.
  7. Cody's Car Conundrum

I'm just curious what the morning will bring. I'll probably have to search the forums somewhat deeply to find out what happened if there isn't a thread about it in the morning.

I erased this because it doesn't sit right with me to talk bad about someone out in the open like this, feel free to P.M. me if you want to discuss this more.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Agreed. But I don't think he's a spammer becuase he hasn't posted any links.

9. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Designs look great! I drew in pencil and acrylics back in school. The software today is amazing.
    I watched a stylist whip out a sketch in a few minutes with magic markers. Chip Foose is great at that.

Insiders take their jobs seriously. Dad was in styling and body design when i was a kid. He knew what was coming 3 yrs ahead of time. He never talked about much less brought home early design drawings.

As big a car nut as i was as a kid he still never talked about future product. I remember him mentioning Plymouth was naming a car Road Runner maybe a week before they went public.

I spent hours sketching car designs instead of taking notes in the more boring classes. In H.S. i sketched up something that resembled a Cordoba 5 yrs ahead of Chrysler. I was impressed with the new Grand Prix of the late 60s at the time. I used to kid him about coping my sketches. Apparently styling liked the G.P. too.

10. Cody's Car Conundrum

Thanks! I'm just starting to learning how to sketch cars properly now (with a pen) on actual paper...... I've got far too much to learn, haha . I like seeing the sketching for alternative designs for old vehicles (stuff like the '09 Ram and the Gen V Viper sketches). It's always interesting to see just how different a vehicle's design could've been taken.

You're a seriously lucky man. Even if he never said anything (which would kill me every time LOL) just knowing that stuff was in the works would also keep me on the edge of my seat.

I can't draw (properly) for the life of me. What I did instead was I'd take an eraser (one of those wedge-shaped pink ones) and I'd file away at it (mostly during math haha!) for years (I don't remember how long) until it was more "aerodynamically efficient" (at least, it was in my mind). The front end is still somewhat wedge-shaped except now the ends are pulled back, and the tip of the nose isn't as big as before. I don't know how aerodynamic it actually is but I still have that eraser. Maybe I'll stuff it in a home-made wind tunnel and see what's it like if I ever get the chance LOL!

Side note: I didn't get like a sharp piece of my pencil and file away at it, I "erased" at the desk, getting the eraser into the shape I wanted it to be by carefully filing away at the edges....... I really shouldn't have spent so much time doing that, HAHA!

11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Don’t be afraid to use underlays to get your perspective and everything right. It can also be messy te first couple one and then when you want it cleaned up do an overlay of your most recent drawing and take your time with lien weight and everything

12. Hashim Shaz

Hashim Shaz Member

2019: Dodge Durango Hybrid OR PHEV (WE?)

13. Cody's Car Conundrum

Yeah, I'm learning about the underlays through a course I'm taking. The only real issue I'm having (outside of sucking) is the line weight.

I don't know if me being left-handed has anything to do with it, but I write hard naturally. So trying to lighten up for the sketch is kinda tricky. Although, I don't know if the pen I'm using has any effect on that.

14. mopar22

Start with a pencil at first. After you get it right with a pencil and pens line wights comes naturally. Best thing to remember anything in shadow will have a darker line then say something it light

15. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Line weight will come in time. A did architectural pencil renderings years ago. I eventually settled on just a No2 lead pencil. Between tip pressure and working the pencil point shape i drew with one pencil. Hated mechanical lead holders. It was a lot of fun when i started drawing for a living. I started on linen & onion skin. Then mylar. Then cad came along and any manual drawing was on vellum.
    I often cheat also using underlays. Usually a photo of a car to get the outline and highlights right.

GasAxe and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  16. Cody's Car Conundrum

OK, thanks for the helpful information!

Looks like I need to re-sharpen my pencils again.

17. mopar22

Lead pencil is always good when you first start but after that you should move up to a nicer pencil like prismacolor to really get nice dark lineweight

18. Cody's Car Conundrum

OK! Another update, as of late I've been learning to sketch (through a bunch of tutorials) and have gotten to my first 100 or so sketches. My only real problem as of right now is consistency and proportions. Outside of detail of course, as I don't have the skills to do highly detailed stuff as of yet. (The one on the top is the best one this far).
    IMG_20171110_1050519_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20171110_1050416_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20171110_1050335_rewind.jpg

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  19. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Practice makes perfect.. I use graph paper to sketch and lots of it. Sometime i'll print of graph paper in a light shade(this helps with consistency and proportions). Also built a light table to help with underlays. Doodling as I call it is a favorite relaxing time in my shop.