AF: Speedometer not working | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer not working

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by ReAndCheryl, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ReAndCheryl

ReAndCheryl Member

So I'm helping a friend with his 2005 PT Cruiser. He recently had the timing belt replaced, and ever since the speedometer hasn't worked and he has a P0501 error code. The guy who did the work replaced the transmission input and output speed sensors in an attempt to fix it, it's still dead. Because the transmission is shifting fine I feel like its not a sensor issue. Also I put my Snap-On scanner on it and it has input and output speed readings, but no vehicle speed reading. Vehicle is also running rough and sometimes stalls when coming to a stop similar to having a stuck EGR valve. Ive gone over the motor looking for connectors unplugged or damaged harness and found nothing obvious. reading online turned up nothing as the speedometer not working it usually the output sensor, and includes shifting problems which I am not experiencing.

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated
    RE'

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The output sensor signal to the TCM determines the speedometer reading which is then placed on the PCI communications bus to the instrument cluster. You are correct in saying that without the signal, the transaxle would default to limp-in (2nd gear). I assume that the tach, fuel and temp gauges are still operating?
    Having the speedometer drop out after the timing belt replacement may just be coincidence. If the battery was disconnected for the belt service (which would be prudent), it may have sent a spike during terminal reconnection that has caused a logic 'lock-up'?
    Disconnecting, then reconnecting the battery may reset this, if it is what has occurred.
    There is also a Chrysler instrument cluster self-test, that would show that the cluster electronics and speedo gauge are capable of operation. Procedure shown here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mtmyl5VDFY

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  3. ReAndCheryl

ReAndCheryl Member

I appreciate the reply. I tested gauge cluster and it’s fine. Disconnected the battery and cleaned the terminals, then cleared the ECM and TCM and reinitiated communication. Boom! Speedometer working again.

4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

[​IMG]

Gotta love cheap and easy fixes :cool:

You can tell your friend that it was a very expensive repair, and that they owe you bigtime :)

Or at least some of your favorite beverage or a good meal out ;)

#4 06PTElectricBlue, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

For something like that, my going rate is a 6 pack of my favorite sudsy beverage.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  6. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Only 6, should be at least a case :D

Doug D likes this.