AF: SRT folds back into Dodge... | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRT folds back into Dodge...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Stratuscaster, May 6, 2014.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

There is only one thing worse than a SRT Viper: a Viper with no brand responsible for it

2. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Isnt it officialy a Dodge now? I mean it was announced today right?

3. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

I'm sorry that completely makes no sense after what has been announced today.

MoparNorm and Jeepnut like this.
  4. KyleCoffey

KyleCoffey Well-Known Member

Tire width has less to do with grip levels than the compound used in the tires. Sure the new C7 handles well, but what about after the tires get worn unevenly because of the narrower tire? The Viper's tires are engineered to give decent wear attributes under track conditions.
    Heck, wider tires are even a detriment in some instances; they increase the turning radius, as you can only turn the tire so far before the tire starts scrubbing the inner fender. They potentially put a damper on 0-60 and quarter mile times as well as there is a far higher moment of inertia with a wide tire as opposed to a skinny one.
    On a slightly different note, a handful of c7 owners are already trading theirs in for Gen V Vipers after seeing multiple c7s on the road in the same day.

MoparNorm likes this.
  5. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Hi Mike, do you have any answers from SRT about what happened this past weekend ?

Still no words or comments from Ralph, not even from todays news.

Poor Ralph, he MOST now go to work hard, no more time to play arround, outside the office, he better start doing it, in my opinion todays news were not good at all for him, he was so happy and comftable playing with those Vipers and SRT vehicles, that he hadalmost no time to spend at the office and stick his eyes where he is supposed to do it.

Everything comes to an end, and this is it, I wonder when is going to be again in national TV, it could be very interesting to hear his answers.

Dodge now will again become what one time used to be, I'm seeing a lot of budget going to Dodge, don't know if they will spend it on racing, but they will have a huge budget.
    Doubt it will make it as a Dodge, I might be wrong, but time will tell us if they will change their minds.

What's nice now is that Vipers will start racing again with the Dodge name on the hood, and we will read Dodge all over the racetracks again.

Sayonara SRT
    Once you asked about a smaller pickup, you will have it according to todays news, it happened exactly as I said. :thumbsup:

Mopar7171 and Jeepnut like this.
  6. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

Yes it actually did happen like you said unfortunately I cant buy it unless I move to Brazil :lol:

MoparNorm likes this.
  7. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Hi Mr. Source

No I have not. Did you see my reply from this morning to you in the Motorsports section?

Take care,

Mike

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Please know that Ralph is an important spokes figure for all brands (I am probably not telling you anything new). I know a number of people in Challenger and Viper clubs that all admire him. He has charisma. Compare videos of him talking to Jay Leno to the ones of guys from Ford or GM. He gets the passion of why many are Mopar fans and he is able to convey that in his interviews. I hope that Sergio gives Ralph the respect he deserves. He has been through thick and thin with Chrysler (like you probably have been, too). It would be a huge loss in my opinion if he wasn't there anymore. Just my two cents...

9. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

300 and jeep gc srt are a good seller here in oz so since there is no dodge product available in Australia what do we get?

10. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Which, from a marketing perspective, makes WAY more sense. A big part of why manufacturers participate in motorsports in the year 2014 is marketing (not ALL, but a big reason). If Dodge is the "performance" brand then would it not make more sense to have "Dodge" logos all over the track and have the fans see Dodge vehicles on the track? I'd bet several non-Mopar loyalists would even be aware of what SRT is or that it was even a separate brand to begin with.

SRT's failure is not Ralph's fault. It was a poor marketing decision to begin with. SRT being a performance brand with vehicles that only the wealthy can afford... So who exactly is your target audience then?

And if SRT is out of the picture and those motorsports and advertising dollars are folded back into Dodge then maybe, just maybe, we can see them reenter Nascar.

drew54 likes this.
  11. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

You can call a monkey a mule, but it doesn't change what it is.

Viper has always been, and will always be, a Dodge.

GasAxe likes this.
  12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I keep coming back round to the fact that in business it's the usual case that a leader whose plans, decisions and actions improve things causes the company to react with giving them positive stuff, including expanding their authority . And the leader whose plans, decisions and actions are seen Not to improve things causes the company to react with taking positive stuff from them, including even removing their authority.

This can't be a good thing.

Try looking at it from the outside in ... from the Competitors point of view. What are the ALMS pecking order going to think? From the Vette team(s), to BMW to Porsche and others? I can't come up with anything positive about dissolving SRT that reflects well on the FCA people. Especially seeing the update we've just seen right in the middle of a race season.

13. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

I think Chrysler should make the high performance vehicles "Special" (like the 300M and prior) and Jeep... something special. I don't think they should funnel all performance-minded consumers to Dodge.

14. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

I'm ok with out an SRT 300. It seems like I read a lot of people skipping it and getting other high trim levels.
    Not to mention, to passion for expensive performance vehicles has dwindled. it's not as popular. Of course, this calls into question the wisdom of taking Dodge to being a performance brand to the degree they are when attention has shifted away from performance. Ironic I would say this since I like seeing Dodge as a performance brand. but then again, I don't like that it leads them to just give up on the second minivan. But those who are overjoyed at them dropping the GC won't see it that way. So, moving on folding SRT back into Dodge just seems to make sense. And putting aside my dislikes, in fairness Dodge will only have 1 vehicle less in it's line up than it did for 2014 so that's good (Sort of, actually I don't count the Viper as ever having left Dodge, but if you did, then it stays flat, the Avenger and mini go, but a B-vehicle arrives, along with the viper).

Still, I have to also point out another gripe. So Chrysler is getting the 100, and Dodge has the Dart, plus Dodge is getting a B segment. Sergio seems keen on filling the ranks with small cars - because that's the popular thing to do, when in reality it's not where Chrysler is the most successful. He is axing larger vehicles and giving us smaller ones. Great for the pundits, but not where Chrysler's strongest sales are. Just seems a shame.

15. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Hence the "S" line - just poorly implemented

However, they have been mid-level at best vehicles with no real performance improvements.

16. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Wait what? Did you not read the plans? Chrysler is keeping the 300 and in the works for getting a CUV and SUV, Dodge is keeping the Charger, Challenger and Durango, plus adding the new Journey, Jeep is adding the Grand Wagoneer. I am not sure how you get that SM is axing larger vehicles....... :pullhair:

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Some people don't want Chrysler to make anything they don't buy... how DARE they make small four cylinder cars! They should only make REAR drive V8s!

That said... you can't claim to have a full line without a subcompact, any more.

Do you really want a repeat of 2008, when gas prices went up and nobody bought a car from GM or Chrysler because of the perception that all they sold were trucks and big V8 sedans?

18. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

For sure.

Personally, I don't want anything smaller than a mid-size vehicle for my next purchase. But I can't deny the need for Chrysler to have B & C segment vehicles.

19. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

That was me kicking tires at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership in 1989.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Me, too, actually. And eventually I got a four cylinder car and loved it.