AF: Starting Issues | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Issues

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by slyfox58, Aug 31, 2019.

1. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

Hi, I own a 76 Cordoba with a 400-4-barrel, I did a complete tune up on it, Cap,rotor,plugs,wires,new electronic box,coil, it ran great for about 3 weeks,then it started to miss,seem to run on 7 cylinders, after 15 minutes of driving it would run great, this as been going on for 2 weeks, I park it for a week, runs like crap, now it try's to start but won't, I check all the wires, they seem good, everything is tight, Would anybody have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks... Sly

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Pull some spark plugs. Are they wet with gas or black with carbon?

Ziusudra and slyfox58 like this.
  3. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

I did check the spark plugs, there good, I check under the dist. cap everything looks good.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I had troubles with the pickup coil in the distributor on cars of that vintage. Sometimes they got temperature sensitive.

slyfox58 likes this.
  5. Ziusudra

Ziusudra New Member

I don't know if this would help, but if it was running fine before the tune-up and you still have your old parts (cap/rotor, wires, coil and box) try putting them back on one by one. If it fixes it then maybe you got a faulty part. That's happened to me too many times, so I always save old working parts just in case.

I'd start with the cap/rotor.

slyfox58 likes this.
  6. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

Thanks, I check it out.

7. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

Thanks, I will try it.

Ziusudra likes this.
  8. Ziusudra

Ziusudra New Member

In addition, I would also point out that you should always verify your spark plugs gap, even if they're "pre-set". And on iridium's you do not want to touch the center electrode. Gap is adjusted by slightly bending the side electrode.

Just throwing that out there, not to say you didn't know.

#8 Ziusudra, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    slyfox58 likes this.
  9. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Load-test the battery. If it's low, it can take 20 minutes to get back to full charge after a cold start or sitting for awhile.

slyfox58 likes this.
  10. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

What brand of plugs? Mopars seem to run better with Champions; some applications allow Autolites, and NGK plugs are occasionally recommended, but the Champion copper tip plugs should be the best.

It seems like your choke might be off, more specifically the rod between the choke and the pull-off, but you didn't mention any adjustments there. Maybe something is sticking that can be freed with carb cleaner. I also wonder about the carburetor running on E10, which can corrode gaskets much quicker. Do you see any gas leaks?

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If the plug tips are white, dry and don't smell of gasoline, you may not be getting gas.
    Have you checked for spark at the coil wire while cranking? Is the distributor shaft turning while cranking?

slyfox58 likes this.
  12. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

No gas leak, Not getting enough spark, going to put new coil,and ballast resistor and see what it does.

13. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

No, I'm going to get the 2 coils I have tested, to see if there any good, Electronic box is new, coil is only 4 years old, new Distributor, Plugs, wires,cap, rotor, voltage regulator only 4 years old, can the electronic control box {orange one} be tested?.

14. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Load-test the battery first. It's often the cause of a weak spark. Don't shotgun it with parts replacement. Do a full diagnosis first.

15. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There are 4-pin and 5-pin electronic ignition modules. Sometimes they are not compatible. Is yours a 4 or 5 pin plug? Sometimes the extra wire is unused, sometimes it is depending on the year and application.
    electronic ignition module woes - Mopar Forums (at https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/electronic-ignition-module-woes-12419/ )
    Is it a dual or single ballast resistor?
    Ignition issues sometimes come on suddenly while fuel issues may begin deteriorating starting or driveability performance gradually.
    You say 'not getting enough spark'. Is it an orange-yellow color or a blue-white spark like it should be? Can it make the jump across the gap?
    Did this car used to be Lean Burn or was it always Electronic Ign?

slyfox58 likes this.
  16. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

If you mean the ignition module, the answer is yes, but not everywhere. You might ask your local parts stores if they can test them. If yours has a lifetime warranty, you might take it to the store where you bought it first.

17. slyfox58

slyfox58 Member

Hi, I bought a new coil and ballast resistor, clean the plugs, And now it starts great. Thanks for all the help.... Sly

Ziusudra and Bob Lincoln like this.