Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Just playing devils advocate.

When you bench bled the master cylinder you kept the end of the lines submerged in fluid at all times.When you installed the master cylinder you kept fluid in the reservoir.At no time was it subjected to the admosphere.

You must be pissed.Not trying to be an a$$hole.I just can't think of anything else.

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Remember, brake lines were replaced and sometimes they must be pressure bled. Had a Nissan hard body and had to tip it about 30 degrees to the side and bleed the line where it split on the right firewall. No other method worked without a fast pressure bleeder.

3. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

"When you bench bled the master cylinder you kept the end of the lines submerged in fluid at all times.When you installed the master cylinder you kept fluid in the reservoir.At no time was it subjected to the atmosphere."

I was very careful with the bench bleeding.

While bleeding it this time, I tried tipping the car front to back. Before buying and installing a third MC, I guess I'll try tipping it as far as I can get it side to side and bleed it again.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Look for humps in the lines that would catch air. When you use the normal bleeding methods, you only move a very small amount through a line and if it doesn't get the bubble past the hump it just returns to the hump before the next stroke.

5. 71Charger_fan

I keep looking at the hump in the line where it follows the curve of the differential housing thinking "you're in there, aren't you."

6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

What bugs me about the whole mushy brake pedal thing is when the rear hose is clamped off as per @71Charger_fan , said pedal becomes firm.

7. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Could he clamp each rear wheel one at a time and see what happens ?

8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Are you sure you have the right proportioning valve ?

9. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Sign that the hump is the problem can you loosen and turn sideways temporarily?

10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

11. 71Charger_fan

Even if the proportioning valve was bad, it's a closed system. I'd think I'd still get a hard pedal.

I've got a reverse bleeder coming. I'll try pushing fluid from the wheel cylinders. If that doesn't work, I'm paying someone to figure it out.

Meanwhile, I've started fitting new interior panels.
    Plaza side panel.jpg Plaza side panel (2).jpg Plaza side panel (3).jpg

saltydog and Bearhawke like this.
  12. 71Charger_fan

This arrived today. I'm going to start by clamping off the rear brake hose. Then, use my bottle jack to get one rear wheel higher than the other then push brake fluid from the low side to the high side. That should, once and for all, eliminate the question of whether there's air caught in the hump of the rear line. Following that, I'll push some fluid up and out the MC with the front end elevated. I really hope this gets it once and for all.
    phpSBq5ZmPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  13. petegee77

petegee77 Member

I'm with you. It's beautiful just the way it is. Especially with the wood .

14. 71Charger_fan

I was on vacation, then, the temps were just too hot to deal with it. Today, I finally touched it again. I plugged the MC and gave the pedal a push. It was a good firm pedal as it should have been. But, when I pushed hard, I heard a funny noise and the pedal slowly slipped to the floor. I got out another MC, bench bled it, installed it, and plugged it. The pedal is hard as a rock and doesn't sink at all. So, I hooked up the fronts and it's still good. Tomorrow, if it's not too hot, I'll cross my fingers and hook the rears back up.
    Plaza MC plugged.jpg

15. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

WOW!

That is weird, the part of having your brake pedal starting dropping when you heard that funny noise. Although I've heard horror stories about repop products i.e. your master cylinder that aren't the best, shall we say.

16. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

That weird noise probably was made by fluid coming back around the piston cup. Definitely a no no.

Bearhawke likes this.
  17. 71Charger_fan

Finally buttoned it up and gave it a brief road test today. The original drum brakes are sensitive to adjustment. I left them dragging very slightly and decided to let them wear in through short drives around the neighborhood. I tried the reverse bleeder on the passenger side with the rubber hose clamped off and the drum off. It pressurized the rear axle line and moved the pistons out on the wheel cylinder as it should have. After three or four times of letting the wheel cylinder pistons extend and retract, an air bubble made its way out. So, looks like I had a combination of a bad MC and a stubborn air bubble.
    phpTVkyq0PM.jpg

18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeaaaaa! So glad that was finally figured out, it was hounding you for literally months, and you weren't doing anything wrong (I always hate that the most). She definitely looks nice out in the sun, enjoy the summer cruises.

19. 71Charger_fan

I'd like to find the trim for the leading edge of the hood in chrome.