Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

My driver's side floor pans arrived today. After the heat breaks and when it's not raining, I'll take it to the body shop for an estimate because I've never learned to weld.
    Plaza floor pan patch panels.jpg Plaza floor pan patch panels  box.jpg

Bearhawke, hemirunner426 and saltydog like this.
  2. 71Charger_fan

Today, I changed the differential lube again. It still came out thick and black. I may have to change it one more time before winter.

3. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Nice to see that you are changing the floor pans.That's the proper way to do things.Hopefully the surrounding metal that supports the floor pans isn't rotten.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep, always better to replace than to cover up. As far as welding goes, even a novice can tackle little things like this, it is actually a good place to practice. There are some rather good 110v gas shield wire welders (Miller and Lincoln are the best from my limited experience) and are available for a reasonable price (couple hundred bucks). Do some quick practice on a couple pieces of sheetmetal to butt weld them together to get the right heat (not melt through by being too hot), and the nice thing is, you don't need to do long welds, but a two second spot, move around a lot and at least five inches from the previous spot, and do it again, then spot between the spots, and keep going. Prevents warping, gives you practice, and is actually pretty fun to learn/teach yourself this way, and the money spent for a whole welder and small bottle of nitrogen (I don't care for the flux welding wire myself, the nitrogen gas shield is worth the few extra bucks for cleanliness), will pay for itself pver paying someone else to do it for you, and you still have the welder.

stroudtom likes this.
  5. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Right on,it is called STITCH welding..Hard part is when the old metal you are welding too isn't perfect..I use the flux core wire.

6. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Use Argon/CO2, not Nitrogen

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I guess that is personal taste, I always used nitrogen for steel since that is what I was taught, and some like flux, I don't care for the excess work to clean it afterwards being a necessary step to weld.

8. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

C25 (75%Ar/25%CO2) will give the best results when welding thin mild steel.

stroudtom likes this.
  9. 71Charger_fan

Today, I pulled the front seat out so that I could finally dispose of what was left of the disgusting carpet that was in the car. I was happy to see that the floors under and behind the seat weren't too bad. A little POR-15 and fiberglass and they'll be fine. It's not worth replacing the pans for a few small holes.
    Plaza passenger floor.jpg Plaza passenger floor (2).jpg Plaza passenger floor (3).jpg

10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

That's pretty good. POR 15 is pretty good stuff, locks things together pretty well, and you are right, pinholes and that one small rust spot isn't that bad.

11. 71Charger_fan

I put a second coat of POR and a little more fiberglass on today. Time to move to the section behind the rear seat mount.
    Plaza passenger floor (4).jpg

12. 71Charger_fan

I started refinishing the sheet metal side trim for the front bench. The color blue someone had painted these things was fugly.
    Plaza front seat side panels (2).jpg Plaza front seat side panels.jpg

Bearhawke likes this.
  13. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Smart aleck alert here: when that 1955 Plaza was ordered new; the 'rust out' option was not checked. :p

14. 71Charger_fan

I refinished the seat side trim to match the dash color scheme. I'll eventually redo the seats in a white/black combo. Plaza seat side panels.jpg Plaza seat side panels (2).jpg Plaza seat side panels (3).jpg

saltydog likes this.
  15. 71Charger_fan

I cleaned up the passenger floor under the back seat. While there was plenty of surface rust, there were no perforations. I suspect much of what corrosion there was was from rodent urine given the size of the mouse nests that were in that seat cushion. I just gave it a coat of POR-15 to seal it. Next, moving on to the driver's side rear. Plaza passenger floor rear.jpg

saltydog and dana44 like this.
  16. 71Charger_fan

Today, I cleaned up the driver's side floor under the back seat. It was very solid back there. Lots of surface rust, but nothing deep. A good coat of POR-15 and I'll move on to the driver's side rear footwell.
    Plaza drivers rear floor.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  17. 71Charger_fan

Today, I cleaned up and coated the driver's side rear foot footwell. There were a lot of small rust holes in this area so I generously spread fiberglass cloth around to make sure I got them all.
    Plaza driver rear footwell.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  18. 71Charger_fan

I ran out of grey POR-15 and had to second coat the driver's side rear seat floor pan in black. So, I went ahead and third coated all three foot wells in black. I'll get the front seat back in tomorrow and probably roll over to a local cruise night (assuming it's not raining). Plaza floor pan.jpg

19. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Def lookin' good there. :)

20. 71Charger_fan

At some point, probably after Halloween, I'll take it to the body shop and get that driver footwell patched.