Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Between Hershey and Ebay, I've accumulated a few emblems for an eventual repaint. Even though my car didn't have a Suburban emblem, I think I'll add one just so the Chevy folks can scratch their heads at cruise-ins.
    Plaza Emblems.jpg

2. 71Charger_fan

I'm working on assembling a front suspension rebuild kit without having to resort to any of the Chinese stuff being sold now.
    Plaza pin and bushing.jpg

saltydog and hemirunner426 like this.
  3. 71Charger_fan

After rewiring the 1955 Plymouth Plaza Suburban from 6V positive ground to 12V negative ground, I was still left with a 6V heater blower motor. Yesterday, I switched that out using a 4 Seasons Unimotor. I should have measured how far off the mounting plate the fan sat as I had to install/remove/install a few times to get the fan set to the proper depth, but, other than that, it went pretty smoothly. The bushing supplied with the motor makes up for the shaft being too narrow for the hole in the fan. I had to file down one end of the bushing to get it to slip into the fan. I had to make the black lead positive and ground the red lead to get it to turn in the proper direction for the Plymouth. I also had to clip off the studs on the fan side as they otherwise would have hit the back of the fan.
    Plaza Blower Motor.jpg Plaza Blower Motor (2).jpg Plaza Blower Motor (7).jpg Plaza Blower Motor (3).jpg Plaza Blower Motor (4).jpg

4. 71Charger_fan

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

She works, and that is the important stuff. Good job.

Bearhawke likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

Today, I decided to try and figure out why my cowl vent won't open all the way. While poking around under the dash, I realized the bottom of the heater box was packed with dirt. The only way to get it out was to pull the heater box off the cowl. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of why the cowl vent won't open all the way.
    Plaza Cowl.jpg

7. 71Charger_fan

I got the cowl vent out today and successfully snapped off all three screws. Go big or go home. The hinge is well and truly stuck. It's soaking in PB Blaster now. I took a piece of scrap wood and, with a small ball pein, gave it a few sharp taps to see if it would magically break free. It didn't. Hopefully, given enough penetrant and time, it'll move. If I can get any movement at all, it'll help work the penetrating oil in and hopefully restore its range of motion.
    Plaza Cowl.jpg Plaza Cowl Vent.jpg Plaza Cowl Vent Rod Bellows.jpg

8. 71Charger_fan

I also removed the insulation pad from the heater box and dug out the accumulated dirt and mud with a screw driver. Next, I'll give it a good scrubbing with soap and water, then clean and POR-15 the metal plate. I'll probably get some Thermo-Tec to replace the insulation.
    Plaza Heater Box.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  9. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Go big or go home! You're work in getting your 'burban roadworthy qualifies as the former. :)

10. 71Charger_fan

Thanks to 56D500boy over at ForwardLook.net for tipping me to this inexpensive MerCruiser replacement part to replace my worn out cowl vent rod bellows.
    Plaza Bellows New.jpg Plaza Bellows New (2).jpg

11. 71Charger_fan

I did get two out of the three snapped off screws out today. The one in the middle still won't budge.
    phpWHkxezPM.jpg

12. 71Charger_fan

Today, I wire brushed the back side of the cowl vent and the steel plate in the heater box and gave them each a coat of POR-15.

I was quite happy to have been able to get some movement on the cowl vent hinge. With the heater box out, it's relatively easy to reach in there with a small pry bar and move it. I got a little movement, sprayed it with more PB B'laster, waited a while, then moved it back. It's still nowhere near having its full range of motion, but any movement is encouraging.
    Plaza  cowl vent.jpg Plaza heater box (2).jpg

saltydog likes this.
  13. 71Charger_fan

I took the propane torch to the third cowl vent screw and it finally came out. I was a little worried when a few wisps of smoke came from the defroster vent inside the car, but all seems okay.
    Plaza Cowl Vent Screw Out.jpg

14. 71Charger_fan

The front of the underside of the cowl vent was pretty heavily rusted. Today, I wire brushed and sanded it, then sealed that surface with some POR-15. If only the hinge was bolted in instead of welded in. It would be nice to be able to strip and coat that.
    Plaza Cowl Vent (3).jpg Plaza Cowl Vent (4).jpg

15. 71Charger_fan

Plaza Fuel Sender (9).jpg I've come to realize that, with the unique shape of the wagon's fuel tank, I really needed the wagon fuel sender hooked up to the original wagon gauge. So, many dollars later, I have an NOS one.

16. 71Charger_fan

I'm also continuing to collect old, NOS suspension parts trying to avoid Chinesium components as much as possible.
    Plaza LCA Pivot Bar.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  17. 71Charger_fan

The hinge has loosened enough that I can now move it to the fully closed position. A bag of #10-24 button-head cap screws came today. They're a little long, but they'll work.
    Plaza Cowl Vent Screw.jpg

18. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Looking good! I am glad you are able to find some good NOS parts, they will be a lot better than most aftermarket replacements. When I had a 1955 Packard I was able to locate a bunch of NOS stuff for it. Interesting note, Packard wire was hypalon insulated even in 1955, Packard Wire and Cable was snapped up by GM as their wire was so superior to what everyone else used. BTW, it was positive ground 12V, the only American car that was like that.

Bearhawke likes this.
  19. 71Charger_fan

Today, I moved and sprayed the hinge some more and made new insulation for the heater box.
    Plaza Heater Box Insulation.jpg Plaza Heater Box Insulation (2).jpg

saltydog, JA Cumbo and Bearhawke like this.
  20. 71Charger_fan

Well crap. I guess it was inevitable.
    Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Broken.jpg