Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I haven't touched the car in about a week, but I'm still gathering old suspension parts.
    Plaza Control Arm Bushing and Pin Kit.jpg

saltydog and Bearhawke like this.
  2. 71Charger_fan

Found a 180-degree bend heater hose that, with trimming, replaced the looped heater hose from the heater valve to the heater core.
    Plaza Heater Hose (2).jpg Plaza Heater Hose (4).jpg

saltydog and Bearhawke like this.
  3. 71Charger_fan

Today, I drilled (and Dremel'd) the frozen bracket off of the cowl vent hinge. I'm trying to figure out a suitable work around to replace that passenger side pivot.
    Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge.jpg

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

May seem a little odd, but what about the gas filled strut rod ends? It's a ball and socket plastic and metal end with bolt threads on the end. The pivot part is about an inch tall and half an inch around, threads (put a nut on the end through sheetmetal) are about half inch long, so fairly compact, attachment is a small pivot ball. Not sure how much room you have to locate this.

5. 71Charger_fan

One of the insulation retainers crumbled and fell apart when I tried to pull it off. Since I had 99 left over #12-24 nuts from the box I had to buy to get the one nut I needed, I threaded one of the studs, used a scrap piece of plastic as a retainer for the insulation, and double-nutted two #12-24 nuts to hold the plastic.
    Plaza Heater Box (2).jpg

Bearhawke likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

I may have figured out a workaround to my broken cowl hinge problem. However, I'll likely have to notch the bottom of the vent itself for clearance. Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Repair.jpg Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Repair (2).jpg Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Repair (3).jpg Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Repair (4).jpg

Attached Files:

7. 71Charger_fan

I put my bracket in then got the hinge where I thought it needed to be. I used an awl with a 90-degree bend to reach up and scratch the bracket through the hole in the hinge. I then drilled a hole centered on the scratch marks. I took a couple of bottle caps and made plastic washers to the hinge and bracket wouldn't be metal to metal. I put it together (the first time backwards of course) with a #10 machine screw. I put a double nut on the screw so it wouldn't be too tight and wouldn't back off.
    Plaza Cowl Vent Hinge Repair (6).jpg Plaza Cowl Vent Rod (2).jpg

saltydog likes this.
  8. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Keep up with the great pics..we love this project.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  10. 71Charger_fan

I had to take some time away from it to do some plumbing in the house. I hope to get back to it soon.

11. 71Charger_fan

The round wire spring hose clamps on this thing have been giving me fits. Even though I had a pair of hose clamp pliers, they wouldn't open these clamps enough. I bought a pair of Channelock 558 hose clamp pliers. They have turned out to be exactly what I needed.
    phpxESPmZPM.jpg phpa3p0q9PM.jpg

dana44 likes this.
  12. 71Charger_fan

Finally, an operating cowl vent. That wasn't in any way a giant PITA. You can see the paint line on the screen where it was frozen partially open. Funny how someone just painted the car with it like that.
    Plaza Cowl Vent (2).jpg Plaza Cowl Vent (5).jpg

JA Cumbo and saltydog like this.