Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!
Register or log in at the top right of the page...
Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.
I haven't touched the car in about a week, but I'm still gathering old suspension parts.
Found a 180-degree bend heater hose that, with trimming, replaced the looped heater hose from the heater valve to the heater core.
Today, I drilled (and Dremel'd) the frozen bracket off of the cowl vent hinge. I'm trying to figure out a suitable work around to replace that passenger side pivot.
May seem a little odd, but what about the gas filled strut rod ends? It's a ball and socket plastic and metal end with bolt threads on the end. The pivot part is about an inch tall and half an inch around, threads (put a nut on the end through sheetmetal) are about half inch long, so fairly compact, attachment is a small pivot ball. Not sure how much room you have to locate this.
One of the insulation retainers crumbled and fell apart when I tried to pull it off. Since I had 99 left over #12-24 nuts from the box I had to buy to get the one nut I needed, I threaded one of the studs, used a scrap piece of plastic as a retainer for the insulation, and double-nutted two #12-24 nuts to hold the plastic.
I may have figured out a workaround to my broken cowl hinge problem. However, I'll likely have to notch the bottom of the vent itself for clearance.
I put my bracket in then got the hinge where I thought it needed to be. I used an awl with a 90-degree bend to reach up and scratch the bracket through the hole in the hinge. I then drilled a hole centered on the scratch marks. I took a couple of bottle caps and made plastic washers to the hinge and bracket wouldn't be metal to metal. I put it together (the first time backwards of course) with a #10 machine screw. I put a double nut on the screw so it wouldn't be too tight and wouldn't back off.
Keep up with the great pics..we love this project.
I had to take some time away from it to do some plumbing in the house. I hope to get back to it soon.
The round wire spring hose clamps on this thing have been giving me fits. Even though I had a pair of hose clamp pliers, they wouldn't open these clamps enough. I bought a pair of Channelock 558 hose clamp pliers. They have turned out to be exactly what I needed.
Finally, an operating cowl vent. That wasn't in any way a giant PITA. You can see the paint line on the screen where it was frozen partially open. Funny how someone just painted the car with it like that.