AF: Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban | Page 21 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Today, I decided to put some fresh oil in the engine for Carlisle weekend as sludge is still working its way loose from years of neglect. When I pulled out the oil filter, I stuck my finger down in the canister and felt probably a good inch of sludge in the bottom. So, I disconnected the inlet and outlet lines, removed the canister and cleaned it out. The worst of what was in the bottom was like Play Doh when it's just about hard. I scooped that out with a worn screwdriver and wiped it out thoroughly. I reassembled everything and decided to go for a short drive. Almost as soon as I left the driveway, the filter cover gasket let go and there's about 2 quarts of fresh 10w-30 making a stripe on the street. I took the canister off the engine again and also removed the drain line and cleared that with brake cleaner. I put it all back together with an NOS USA-made Hastings filter instead of the made-in-Turkey Fram and it all seems fine now. What a mess.

Scrounge and JA Cumbo like this.
  2. 71Charger_fan

My wife was unaware of the existence of the throttle return spring until ours snapped headed home from Carlisle on Friday evening. Because of the limited power of the flathead, I was able to drive quite a way with the throttle stuck wide open. I had to ride the brakes a couple of times to keep from running up on other cars until I finally switched off the ignition and coasted to a stop on the shoulder. Of course there were no tools in the car. Even if there were, the spring had become too short to reattach. Fortunately, a good samaritan stopped, pulled some wire from his truck, made a loop, bent a hood in the spring and we were back on our way.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Love those kind of safe fixes until permanent fixes can be done later. Good deal.

4. 71Charger_fan

I stopped at an Advance Auto Parts on the way home and bought a bunch of throttle return springs. When I got it home, I installed the pair that was the best fit.

5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Was a common problem on that style carb. Took a spring to close as it normally went to wide open

6. 71Charger_fan

At Carlisle, I bought a clutch rod grommet/bellows from one of the vendors that looked like it would fit the '55. Today, I decided to find out. It was a surprisingly good fit. Color me happy. I smeared a good amount of Permatex Black around it on the engine side.
    phpNtN2ORPM.jpg phpw8yoJ5PM.jpg phpTScjUIPM.jpg

7. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Had a guy that I knew with a 52 Plymouth flathead 6 that was worn out and he decided to "Brick it" (drain water and oil and full throttle it). Drained fluids, pulled spring and started it. Ran p ut of fuel a half hour later.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep, absolutely fantastic, have seen the same thing with guys trying to kill 318s the same way. Try that with a bow tie or blue oval, rarely works with oil and water let alone bone dry.

9. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Noise was horrible and engine would start to seize and break loose again. Exhaust manifold turned red with heat. Just would not die.

10. 71Charger_fan

My NOS headpipe and tailpipe arrived today. I'm still looking for a muffler. In the meantime, I'll slip in a glasspack of the right length.
    phplwOSNSPM.jpg

11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Hmm I had a friend got mad at his 283 2bbl Chevy, bricked it, with fluids and went in the house, over an hour later he walked outside, it was still running WOT with no issues. Flat head Fords were a classic for drain the oil after pouring in some "snake oil" to prove how good the product was, they had double sided rod bearings, 4 of them, 1 on each throw, they would run quite a while with no oil. My late wife had to drive about 4 miles on a two lane bridge with a busted upper hose on her 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon, got to where she could pull off and stopped. A gentleman who knew us was behind her and stopped. He went to his shop, got a flex hose and coolant, came back, checked that the engine wasn't too hot, and repaired it. Never had a minutes trouble from that 302.

Don't try it with the newer stuff though, too many have aluminum heads or blocks and heads.

12. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Its amazing that you can still find NOS parts for your car.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  13. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Happened to me with my '55 Plymouth at Orlando AFB many years ago. I had just left the parking lot and turned up the street when the spring came off. The car had a '51 Hemi, so when the throttle went wide open, the car leaped and it took a couple of seconds before I could turn off the key. A Staff Sgt was crossing the street half a block up and thought I was trying to scare him. I had my butt thoroughly reamed, but when I tried to explain what happened, he wouldn't even listen. I just sat there and took it, and when he finished I replaced the spring and headed for the auto parts store to fix my problem.

14. 71Charger_fan

I've been surprised at some of the NOS parts I've found. I even have a complete NOS set of Sport Tone trim. However, I'm now leaning toward not redoing the exterior and just enjoying it as it is.

06PTElectricBlue and saltydog like this.
  15. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I bought a new 75 Duster /6 and had a fan belt break when I was 30 miles away from the dealer. Drove the freeway back to the dealer watching the temp guage. Never over 3/4 even without the water pump. They replaced belt at no charge and it was still on at over 100k.

85lebaront2 likes this.
  16. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Better treatment than my dad had on our 1966 Polara. It had the 383 2 barrel engine, he was on his way back from dropping my brother off at boy scout summer camp when the crank pulley disintegrated on him, this was one of the early 5/50 powertrain warranty cars. Dad shut it off, had me come get him and the car towed to the dealer we bought it from. At this point the car was probably not even a year old. He was told that that wasn't covered, it was an accessory, dad and I both were incredulous, his letter to the dealer and Chrysler Corporation warranty department was "if it is an accessory, then operating the engine without it will cause no harm, correct?" The reply was "oh yes, running it with no water pump or fan could damage the engine." His final shot, was it's pretty bad when a Ford Falcon (1964 model with a 260 and factory installed A/C) has a better made pulley (cast iron or steel, it was a hunk of metal) than a premium Dodge model. I think they did finally reimburse him for the tow and repair.

17. 71Charger_fan

I put the new pipes in today. However, I didn't realize that the tailpipe was 2" but necked down to 1.75" going into the muffler. So, tomorrow morning I'll run to NAPA and pick up the appropriate adapter and finish it up.
    phpFVWkjoPM.jpg phpoCM937PM.jpg

85lebaront2 likes this.
  18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

My 68 Charger R/T had multiple claims. Only the clutch pressure plate truly was theirs. Had 3 pressure plates break the finger pivots. Each time I was told that the disc was not a covered item (True fact). However it never was bad and was returned to service. Other failures (all covered under 5/50 warranty are as follows: Two split sycnchromesh brass rings, one split shift lever, and one connecting rod (rod fractured at big end and laid over against the cylinder wall without a single scratch). It does not take much imagination to understand the duty cycle of my car.

19. 71Charger_fan

Today, I picked up a 41946 reducer at NAPA and finished up the exhaust installation.

20. 71Charger_fan

Two u-joint kits came in today's mail.
    phpFBJOq2PM.jpg php4kUJa1PM.jpg

dana44 likes this.