AF: Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

The odometer in my car didn't work. I had purchased a spare dash panel but didn't know the condition of that speedometer. I took it to Carlisle and handed it over to D&M Restoration on Saturday and asked for repair only just to ensure the speedometer and odometer were working. I also asked them to set the odometer to match the reading of the one in the car. I cost me $200 to have them rebuild the speedometer, repaint the needle, reset the odometer, and give it a general clean up. I had it back by the very next Friday.
    Plaza speedometer.jpg

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Wow, they did a fantastic job, it looks brand new. A little pricey, but hey, I guess we all have to accept the cost for what we see, which looks like it was worth the price for original.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  3. Katherine Still

Katherine Still New Member

Love the color combination and wood accent of your car, it fits the beach color and coconuts.

4. 71Charger_fan

5. 71Charger_fan

Today, I decided to deal with switching the hard lines to and from the oil filter to flexible braided lines. This way, I can undo the filter when I do an oil change and pour it out. That way, all that dirty oil won't stay behind in the system as it does now. Unfortunately, as soon as I got everything apart, a thunderstorm blew in. So, maybe tomorrow.

phpt4bgfzPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

I installed the braided oil lines to and from the filter. Where the fittings go into the block made for an extremely tight fit for the starter, but I got it in. I reused the 45-degree drain fitting, but I think I'll need to take that apart as that one is leaking. It was leaking before, but I hoped thread sealant would allow me to reuse it without issue. I'll have to dig around in Ebay and try to find new 45-degree fittings. I do have one more new 90-degree fitting and if I have too much trouble finding a 45, I'll use that.
    php8TyGvEPM.jpg phpseWqwaPM.jpg phpOuHufePM.jpg php7Wfu7PPM.jpg phpBgcZdCPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  7. 71Charger_fan

A couple of different style 45-degree adapters arrived in today's mail. One of these, likely the black one, should be the ticket for finally stopping the oil leak where the filter drain enters the block.
    phpwHkQZpPM.jpg phpg4vEVtPM.jpg

saltydog and dana44 like this.
  8. 71Charger_fan

I finally had a chance to fix the leaking oil return fitting. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to use the 45-degree AN fitting. I had to use one of the 45-degree brass NPT fittings and an NPT to AN-03 straight adapter.
    phpEiHx1DAM.jpg

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Braided flex hoses, or, high pressure hydraulic hoses, are the way to go. I have seen too many over time hard lines or, for oil pressure lines, the nylon plastic lines, melt. I used a high pressure hydraulic hose for the mechanical oil pressure gauge in my Nash and that will never wear out, leak, or break.

10. 71Charger_fan

I found a parking lamp lens that, while not NOS, is in better shape than what was on the car.
    phpRjAS7GPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, years of sand blasting the headlights and other lights over the years makes the glass lenses fog, too. Good find, this looks markedly better than the other one.

12. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Nice Find!!

13. finishfloyd

finishfloyd Member

Hope you have many years of enjoyment with that fine old car.

14. 71Charger_fan

Honestly, my plan was to fix it up into a nice driver, enjoy a few show/cruise in seasons, then sell it on. This year was the first year it was pretty much where I wanted it and most shows were rained out. I guess I'll leave it up to my wife how long it stays in the family.

06PTElectricBlue and saltydog like this.
  15. 71Charger_fan

I misunderstood the Ebay listing. I thought I was buying an NOS turn signal lens, what I got was an NOS lens and an NOS housing. Not bad for $41.
    phpaVJhVeAM.jpg phpXOoa1LAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  16. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Excellent condition. One swap meet vendor in Texas had a good selection of new and used turn-signal and taillight lenses, but I don't recall seeing any from a '55 Plymouth.

17. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Nice purchase.

18. 71Charger_fan

Replaced the speedometer in the 1955 Plymouth Plaza with one from my parts stash that I had repaired. After 2 years of ownership, I finally have a working odometer and a steady speedometer needle.
    phpFGkYgfPM.jpg phpIitBwDPM.jpg phpcwRSNfPM.jpg

saltydog and JA Cumbo like this.
  19. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Nice Speedometer!

20. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

That looks like alot of wires for a 55....LOL