AF: Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

One more photo
    Plaza driver door glass (7).jpg

2. 71Charger_fan

These ought to take care of my spark plug/valve interference problem, at least for the time being.
    phpItpE1wPM.jpg

3. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Just had a retro moment. You should have spark plugs WITHOUT extended tip. Never was even an issue until extended plugs became available with higher compression engines. You would have had something like a N12 - N14 originally. No letters after indicating extended tip. Not sure who stocks unless small engine repair shops. A lot of Briggs come with non-extended plugs.

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

You all miss the point.............those were self adjusting spark plug gap engines.:rolleyes:

dana44 likes this.
  5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

No. It did not adjust the point. Gap had a lifting reaction.

6. 71Charger_fan

I put the .050 washers on the plugs today and reset the gaps. That should buy enough clearance. After it's run a few times, I might try the .040 washers although I am not confident those will provide enough clearance.

7. 71Charger_fan

I picked up a set of these. I think they might clear the valves without indexing washers.
    phpWW0ImJAM.jpg

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

That is what they are supposed to look like.

9. 71Charger_fan

I was having a devil of a time setting the timing. Eventually, I realized the 0 I was seeing was part of a 10. So, I finally took some sandpaper to the pulley and found the "DC" marks hiding under years of rust and crud. I hit it with some brake cleaner then some white model paint and wiped off the excess with my finger. That made it easier.

page2171, saltydog and JA Cumbo like this.
  10. 71Charger_fan

I drove it from Frederick to Hagerstown yesterday for the weekly cruise in at the Valley Mall. First I've had it over 50mph since last summer. It pulled pretty well for such an old girl. I was able to maintain the 70mph speed limit even on the long grades. I may have to pull a little timing out of it as it detonated just a little near the tops of the biggest grades. Now that it's gotten good and hot, I may do a comprehensive lubricant change again (engine oil, transmission, differential).

06PTElectricBlue, chuzz and saltydog like this.
  11. 71Charger_fan

I realized that the spring I fitted to my wiper arm, while a significant improvement over what was there, just wasn't really strong enough to pull the blade firmly against the glass. So, I installed a pair of ANCO adjustable arms. While I'm not thrilled with the appearance, it's a worthwhile trade off to have functional wipers.
    Plaza wiper arm (2).jpg Plaza wiper arm (4).jpg Plaza wiper arm adapter.jpg Plaza wiper arm (3).jpg

saltydog likes this.
  12. 71Charger_fan

I got tired of looking at the holes in the door for the spotlight. So, I dug out the old non-working spotlight and sawed the part that goes all the way through the door short and remounted it. The shaft and shaft jacket were both bent anyway and I didn't have the handle anyway. However, with the shaft and jacket cut, there was nothing holding the head of the spotlight up. So, I drilled and tapped the jacket and put in a set screw.
    phpLbTCGeAM.jpg phpip9IRxAM.jpg phpN1nIPBAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  13. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Looks good and easier then fixing the holes.

saltydog likes this.
  14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

15. 71Charger_fan

I got my shipment from oldmoparts.com of window channels, window sweeps, and parking brake band. Doesn't look like $270, but this isn't a cheap hobby.
    phpH3y6cYAM.jpg

Bearhawke and saltydog like this.
  16. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

any new updates?

17. 71Charger_fan

Waiting for my '71 to go off to paint to free up a garage spot so I can get some work done on the wagon.

18. 71Charger_fan

Yesterday, I delivered my '71 to the paint shop today which freed up a garage slot for the wagon. Before parking it in the garage, I decided to take a drive around the neighborhood. That backfired as the fuel line clogged. I changed the fuel filter on the side of the road and it restarted. Since it was running again, I drove past my house to make one more circuit. Of course, as soon as I created the hill it died again. Some helpful folks gave me enough of a push to coast home and I pushed it into the garage. I'll blow out the fuel line today.
    phpQ0XvjoAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep, time to drop the gas tank and fix the problem permanently. From there, figure out whether the tank needs to be sealed or just cleaned, from the sounds of it.

20. 71Charger_fan

Today, I worked on replacing the window whiskers and window channels. Long, long overdue.
    phprd6bbZPM.jpg phpv6akWRPM.jpg php14VyH9PM.jpg phpUrxtHJPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.