AF: Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting on a '55 Plymouth Plaza Suburban

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.

1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I finally got around to swapping the parking brake band. Now I should be able to park on an incline.
    php5Oo91xPM.jpg

saltydog, dana44 and page2171 like this.
  2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Wow! I think it was time!

3. 71Charger_fan

I started replacing the window sweeps and window channel on the passenger door. I got as far as getting the interior trim off and the vent window assembly out when I decided I was tired of being cold. So, it can wait 'til another day (or week, or month).
    phpXdpxdOPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Just cruised through your thread, this is a beauty, and enjoyed seeing the progress you've made :cool:

[​IMG]

And any job worth doing right, must have an alert and fully qualified inspector, and it certainly looks like yours is on the ball ;):D

[​IMG]

Not gonna let anything slip by him :)

[​IMG]

Bearhawke and 71Charger_fan like this.
  5. 71Charger_fan

Got back on it today. Getting the curve using the new pieces to match that of the old pieces is not easy.
    php5lYfvmPM.jpg php3ijvWXPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  6. 71Charger_fan

Today, I finished screwing the outer window fuzzy to the passenger door and decided to pull the window regulator to see why it's so hard to wind up and down. I found corrosion on the steel channels in which the guides slide and that the regulator itself is a little out of whack. The large gear was cutting a groove in the plate to which it is mounted. I tweaked it a bit and cleaned and greased everything before putting it back in. It didn't even require any substantial cussing. It all works much better now.
    php0fQYkVPM.jpg phpOR946xPM.jpg php9tk6RPPM.jpg phpl4cXtCPM.jpg phpNtIdYDPM.jpg

saltydog and dana44 like this.
  7. 71Charger_fan

Today, I installed the inner "cat whiskers" onto the upper passenger door molding. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to reinstall that and the door panel.
    php0ydCsfAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  8. 71Charger_fan

Today, I put the door panel and the upper trim back on the door. Before I did that, I decided to make a pattern to replace what appeared to be a missing panel over the large access hole in the door. I assume the original was probably cardboard and didn't survive the years. Unfortunately, only three of the four clips were still with the car. I used coroplast to make the new panel.
    php6qbqPqPM.jpg phpA0vADuPM.jpg phpURGZO7PM.jpg phpl3ZzoVPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

That stuff alot of guys put on the bare floor. Looks like super thick duck tape, its peel and stick. Some folks put it on the inside of the doors to cut back on vibration and noise.

10. 71Charger_fan

I have some leftover Xmat and considered just sticking some of that over the hole, but wanted something easily removable and replaceable should I, or a future owner, have to get inside the door again.

saltydog likes this.
  11. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Continuing on the 55 Plymouth theme here are a couple pics of my buddies 55 Plymouth gasser from the Autorama in Detroit last weekend.
    Pauls 1955 Plymouth gasser3.jpg Pauls 1955 Plymouth gasser4.jpg Pauls 1955 Plymouth gasser5.jpg Pauls 1955 Plymouth gasser6.jpg

12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Believe it was a type of fiberboard.

13. 71Charger_fan

I had an opportunity 3 years ago to buy a 2-door Savoy for $1700. I wanted to make a bracket racer out of it. However, I had too many projects and not enough room so I passed on it.

14. 71Charger_fan

Since I had an entire season and then some on the gear oil, I took advantage of yesterday's warm weather and crawled under and drained the differential. I was happy to see it come out looking like gear oil instead of sludge. It wasn't even very dirty. I would have changed the transmission, but I didn't have enough gear oil. I did squeeze a tube of Liqui Moly gearbox stop leak in this time.

saltydog likes this.
  15. 71Charger_fan

I somehow lost the return spring from the parking brake when I put on the new band. Today I found this spring in one of my junk bins. I think it's from a junked washing machine. Works. No more looking for the missing spring.
    phpC558G8PM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  16. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Mopar guys have to be creative.

saltydog likes this.
  17. 71Charger_fan

I scored another pair of NOS back up lenses. I had left it in reverse too long and partially melted on of my lenses. phpfSzVylPM.jpg

saltydog and 06PTElectricBlue like this.