Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Nov 26, 2016.
I finally got around to swapping the parking brake band. Now I should be able to park on an incline.
Wow! I think it was time!
I started replacing the window sweeps and window channel on the passenger door. I got as far as getting the interior trim off and the vent window assembly out when I decided I was tired of being cold. So, it can wait 'til another day (or week, or month).
Just cruised through your thread, this is a beauty, and enjoyed seeing the progress you've made
And any job worth doing right, must have an alert and fully qualified inspector, and it certainly looks like yours is on the ball
Not gonna let anything slip by him
Got back on it today. Getting the curve using the new pieces to match that of the old pieces is not easy.
Today, I finished screwing the outer window fuzzy to the passenger door and decided to pull the window regulator to see why it's so hard to wind up and down. I found corrosion on the steel channels in which the guides slide and that the regulator itself is a little out of whack. The large gear was cutting a groove in the plate to which it is mounted. I tweaked it a bit and cleaned and greased everything before putting it back in. It didn't even require any substantial cussing. It all works much better now.
Today, I installed the inner "cat whiskers" onto the upper passenger door molding. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to reinstall that and the door panel.
Today, I put the door panel and the upper trim back on the door. Before I did that, I decided to make a pattern to replace what appeared to be a missing panel over the large access hole in the door. I assume the original was probably cardboard and didn't survive the years. Unfortunately, only three of the four clips were still with the car. I used coroplast to make the new panel.
That stuff alot of guys put on the bare floor. Looks like super thick duck tape, its peel and stick. Some folks put it on the inside of the doors to cut back on vibration and noise.
I have some leftover Xmat and considered just sticking some of that over the hole, but wanted something easily removable and replaceable should I, or a future owner, have to get inside the door again.
Continuing on the 55 Plymouth theme here are a couple pics of my buddies 55 Plymouth gasser from the Autorama in Detroit last weekend.
Believe it was a type of fiberboard.
I had an opportunity 3 years ago to buy a 2-door Savoy for $1700. I wanted to make a bracket racer out of it. However, I had too many projects and not enough room so I passed on it.
Since I had an entire season and then some on the gear oil, I took advantage of yesterday's warm weather and crawled under and drained the differential. I was happy to see it come out looking like gear oil instead of sludge. It wasn't even very dirty. I would have changed the transmission, but I didn't have enough gear oil. I did squeeze a tube of Liqui Moly gearbox stop leak in this time.
I somehow lost the return spring from the parking brake when I put on the new band. Today I found this spring in one of my junk bins. I think it's from a junked washing machine. Works. No more looking for the missing spring.
Mopar guys have to be creative.
I scored another pair of NOS back up lenses. I had left it in reverse too long and partially melted on of my lenses.