Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stelvio: SUV ’ring record

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Dave Z, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio has set a new record at the Nürburgring track, making a 7-minute-51.7-second lap.

[​IMG]

While it won’t challenge the Viper’s time, the SUV’s 505 horsepower engine helped it to beat all other SUVs on the track. The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio still holds the record for fastest four-door production car on the track.

The special Stelvio can run 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, with a 177 mph top speed. The company released a video of its record run.

Read the whole post here.

2. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Impressive and a great statement to the Alfa team that designed the Giulia/Stelvio.

3. BASONE88

Supporter

I knew this was coming(it had to at some point, right?). It has already been added to the list at Wikipedia(Nurburgring times). Didn't notice the SRT Jeep GC listed. Alfa Romeo 4C is at 8:04. Porsche Cayenne Turbo is at 8:13.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

BASONE88 likes this.
  5. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

"The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio still holds the record for fastest four-door production car on the track." Since the Charger Hellcat is the fastest four-door production car, I wonder what it does on the track? Or has it been done & I missed the news?.

Max Wedge likes this.
  6. BASONE88

Supporter

I don't believe the H/C Charger has run "the ring."

My guess is, although it would be faster on a straight peace of road/track, it could not beat the Alfa..it is too big and heavy - to be a "track car"(In other words..the Alfa has a far better power-to-weight-ratio).

#6 BASONE88, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    TripleT, AlfaCuda and Erik Latranyi like this.
  7. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

My guess is that you are right, but it makes me curious what the next-gen Charger will be capable of.

BASONE88 likes this.
  8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Charger HC= Fastest production Sedan in the world 204 Average MPH... 207 with the wind.

AR Giulia Q = Quickest sedan on the Ring.

AlfaCuda, TripleT and BASONE88 like this.
  9. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Nürburgring has a lot of high speed left-right-left complexes that punish heavy vehicles. The key to a good time is agility, not speed. Add another 3-400 lb to Giulia and even if you increased the engine power by the same percentage, it would tumble down the rankings.

The heavy weight, and problems with sustained power delivery when the drive components get hot, is the reason why Tesla sticks to quarter mile times, and has never attemped an official circuit of this track. (the unofficial 8:50 time for the P90D model is well off the pace you'd expect from the quoted power output of that model)

10. BASONE88

Supporter

Don't get in the way of a woman who is late to pick up her kids from school.;)

(seriously) It is laughable now. But back when she drove that lap, I thought it was so cool to have a Jeep racing around the Nurburgring!

The Stelvio is a major improvement for track running. Remember when Porsche built the Cayenne - and "performance SUV" became a thing?

#10 BASONE88, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

That's the same for more than just Nürburgring, my 318 Dart constantly outran my buddy's 454 Chev truck in the 1/4 mile, however after the 1/4 his power caught up & took over

KrisW likes this.