AF: Still a lot of life left in the Durango for Dodge yet? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still a lot of life left in the Durango for Dodge yet?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by SUNBURNTsnype, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SUNBURNTsnype

SUNBURNTsnype Active Member

With Dodge still reluctant to let go of the Avenger despite its age because of it selling so well(http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/07/could-dodge-avenger-live), and the Durango seeming to be picking up in sales(http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/08/chrysler-july-sales-up-11-percent-best-since-2006), not to mention the upcoming 2014 refresh about to hit dealer lots, is there a chance the Durango name can still continue to live on for Dodge? Even with the upcoming Wagoneer, if the Durango continues to sell well and increase in sales, I could see them keeping it around a bit longer than planned, just as they are currently doing with the Avenger, even though its replacement is not far off as well.

Thoughts?

2. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the take is on the 2nd row Captain's chairs in the Durango.
    I'm thinking that is what has boosted sales the most...adding that option.
    It really opens up the interior and makes the 3rd row much more accessible and usable for families.

3. thumper

thumper Well-Known Member

We've noticed that there is a configuration of the Durango with second row captains chairs and no second row center console. This should provide a nice pass through area to the rear for the kiddos, without having to fold up the seat or climb over to get to the back. My wife carpools with some other parents on bringing the kids to/from school and pointed out the pass through to me.

4. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

Rear captain's chairs is what might push us to the Durango. We have yet to test drive one but I know when I sat in one at this past January's car show, I liked the Durango a lot better inside than I did the JGC.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It provides a very nice pass try actually

Mike

6. Rymanrph

Rymanrph Well-Known Member

When my mother was looking at trading in her Pacifica (with 2nd row captain's chairs), she wanted a Durango with the same configuration. After looking at both and climbing in the back both ways, it became less of an issue and she bought one with a bench. In fact, she's used the extra seat in the middle on more than one occasion. I'm rather short, but I think its easier to get in the very back with the bench than walking through the middle of the Captain's chairs. Its no more difficult than climbing into the back of my brother's lifted 4 door JK. With all that said, I can definitely see why others would want them though.

7. Mike V.

The captains chairs tumble forward just like the bench for easy access.

Mike

8. thumper

We're looking at the Durango as a replacement for our Pacifica too. Hard part for us is my wife L-O-V-E-S her Pac (she's actually angry at Chrysler for not continuing it) and she nitpicks other vehicles (SUV, CUV, Minis) on why they are not as good as her Pacifica. As for me, I'm partial to the Durango, but it's not going to be my car, it's hers... We'll see what the future brings... :)

9. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

Keep her away from Buick..... The Enclave is what the Pacifica should have evolved into.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. highland breeze

I have an Enclave it is a nice crossover--It is a bit more room in the back than the Durango

11. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

This thread came at the right time, it so happens that my Mother and S/O are looking at buying a Durango. Trading in the Ford Exploder(thank goodness) So I have been on the hunt to find one, that has proven more difficult then I thought.

So first question, how is the 3.6 with big a truck? It seems a bit under powered but maybe I am wrong? We are looking at 2013's so they will only have the 5 sp auto.

Next trying to find one with Rear DVD system....that is just about impossible! But for $1600 extra I can see why most people skip that option(not to mention you have to get the sunroof, another $1000)

I have found a few in the LA area, some with the V6 and just few with the V8, you almost have get Citidal to find all the options they want, but a Crew is just a nice, they just dont seem to have the Rear DVD.

As far as cost, we are looking at $40-45k for the options they want! Yikes! Goal was about $35k, we plan on getting it around labor day, so I have a month to plan the trip and find the right one.

12. thumper

Will do, but I'll have to use subterfuge... The direct approach doesn't work all the time. :)

13. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

The V6 seems fine, but I think a lot depends upon what you're use to. If you currently have a V6 Explorer, then I think you'll find the V6 Durango fine power wise..if coming from a V8 you'll find it a bit weak off the line.
    You should be able to work out a good deal around Labor Day as the '14 will have started production and I'm sure dealers will want to get rid of the '13's. They are advertised here in Atlanta for $7K off sticker, so I would start there as a target and shoot for $10K off sticker.

14. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

At one time, 4-6 years ago, they said that the Durango will get a diesel like the Jeep GC.
    I guess that got thrown out.

15. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Well they have V8 in the explorer, they really want a V8. However given the cost of the Durango, a T&C is looking very promising. So it's all in the air and Labor Day we are going get something.

16. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Aren't the new Exploders all V6, one N/A and one turboed?

17. Mike V.

Ecoboost I4
    V6
    Ecoboost V6 (Sport model only IIRC)

Mike
    As discussed on Allpar, due to limited production of the diesel engine, limited production of the Durango, cost of emissions/crash testing, cost of packaging for the Durango, cost of assembly line setup for the Durango... The diesel Durango is on indefinite hold.

Diesel Ram and Grand Cherokee is more important.

Mike

18. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

The 3.6 has 85 more horsepower than the old truck motor, more than the ford and at the Police car tests, the 3.6 was equal to the 5.7 Hemi.
    I'm driving a Hemi equipped JKU right now, I'm pretty sure my 3.6 equipped JKU is nearly as quick. (the Hemi does sound better, but I'm relying upon Gale Banks to fix that for me!)
    The 3.6 is delivering great fuel economy as well.
    All the above, is with the 5 speed auto, in both the Hemi JKU and 3.6 JKU.

Talk to Durango and Grand Cherokee owners, I think they are pleased with their rigs.

19. larryv

Level III Supporter

FWIW, the NA head of VM Motori is pushing to get a diesel-powered Durango into production. He says they have the capacity to meet potential demand, and thinks a diesel Durango is a "perfect" vehicle.

MoparNorm likes this.
  20. Mike V.

Many agree, but that would require a contract change and additional production from VM

I hope they work something out. I too think a diesel Durango would be the cat's meow.

Mike