AF: Still waiting for a new Dakota or Ram 50 meanwhile ... | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still waiting for a new Dakota or Ram 50 meanwhile ...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by 55Plaza, Jul 28, 2020.

1. chcharlie

chcharlie Member

i own a 99 club cab 4x4 dakota. love this gen, bought new. newer body style and size not for me: too angular and pretty large to fit in garage next wife's GC.
    would like to see comparable replacement to the 99. i would like similar truck to be built in US. i call mine a baby ram. have had issues, still have truck tho. its paid for!

2. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Couldn't the Toluca plant produce the Ram 1000 for both NA and SA? I believe Mexico has trade agreements going both ways.

[​IMG]

superduckie5000 likes this.
  3. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I hope not that one.

Tony K and Bob Lincoln like this.
  4. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Agreed, that frontend needs work.

Tony K likes this.
  5. cdjr77

cdjr77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Whats wrong with making it look like a pickup

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

That's not a pickup. That's also a boutique vehicle. Cargo capacity is a joke. I carry lumber, drywall, plywood, 10+ bags of lime, or soil, or manure, or 500+ lbs of pavers, or 3 bicycles (fully assembled) - all with locking, dry storage. THAT'S what I need, and I suspect, many others.

chcharlie and cdjr77 like this.
  7. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Think of it as a 4 door Dodge Rampage.

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- yes , that could have been a very efficient/ useful "truck" with low load floor, large space and not so damn big.
    Could have gotten a reasonable pricetag also.
    - the only real drawback would have been offrodiness and towing capability but when i se how they use merc sprinters and wv transportsers here in sweden i wonder how importand these questions are.
    - the excavator/ harvester/ tractor comes to the truck if its necessary, not the other way around.
    The only thing they have on the truck is some tools and a carrytank for fuel. (say 400 liters or about 130 gallons.) so say 800 kg/ 1600 pounds is sufficient for load.

10. chcharlie

chcharlie Member

i agree. i want a truck as a truck. however i dont need a fullsize truck. as a fca, uaw worker i would like 2 stay loyal, but mite look elsewhere for my needs.

freshforged likes this.
  11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

That's why a mid-size Dakota is ideal. If the new one doesn't happen, or not as promised, I may have to look at Chevy or GMC.

chcharlie and Tony K like this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Toro/Ram 1000 is not available for sale in the United States. In the countries where the vehicle is sold it is not considered a boutique vehicle and sales in those regions are good. The T/R 1000 is not ready for prime time in the USA. The next size smaller Strada is too small to play in traffic here, but that vehicle does offer different cab and bed options. As I posted before, the Strada shows what is possible with building a variety of vehicles on a common platform. It is not only our loss that this wasn't done with the SUSW platform by FCA designers, it is FCA's loss.

I have driven a few 2021 Chevrolet Colorados, since we are already renting them out to customers. It has a new grill, but not much else has changed beyond appearance items. The Colorado is very nice, but I can get a Ram Classic for the same money.

That I know of, nothing has been promised on a new Dakota. It would be nice if something like the M-80 could be built using the Gladiator platform, but with a 6-1/2 foot bed.

MJAB and tlc like this.
  13. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Bob, have you considered a Promaster City? I know they're goofy looking, but they certainly offer decent cargo space with a low load floor. Might not be right for manure, though. I wish they had offered the Promaster City in a chassis cab format in the US - with a dropside bed, it would be perfect for my farm.

freshforged likes this.
  14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

No, no tipover vans. And it has to be something resembling affordable, because it would not be my primary vehicle.

15. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

The Toro/Ram 1000 would not compete in the midsize as a Dakota replacement. It is much smaller and would go up against the new Ford Maverick. My understanding is that ford used the Toro/Ram 1000 as their benchmark. 1000 would make a great entry-level/city truck for weekend jobs, and from what I have read it is at least as capable offroad as a Compass Trailhawk.

tlc likes this.
  16. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I wonder if Peugeot will want something more than those Chinese hand me downs for a pickup truck.

17. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

A Caravan is bigger better and cheaper.

18. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Ironic that Focus is gone, but it lives on with a bed in the back.