Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stock 426 hemi rebuild

Discussion in 'Performance' started by shaun4400, Jun 4, 2017.

1. shaun4400

shaun4400 Member

hello, new to this sight. would like to rebuild my 1968 426 hemi engine. I live in the north east and would like to find a reputable 426 hemi engine builder in the northeast. any info would be great. Ty.

2. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

How did you make out? - as it's been over two months with no responses. Unless this question made its' way into another category - - then 'my bad'.

I would suggest the (RB) Hemi very similar to rebuilding a 440 with nothing much unique as far as machining goes. Larger, heavier heads but still only two valves per cyl.
    The quality of replacement parts is another consideration and the time and technique in assembly is another so 'blue-printing' can definitely go a long way to unleashing full potential - - as does computer balancing of all moving parts.
    I would also suggest more modern intake setup as the (OEM) AFB's are definitely not a wise choice - but save for originality or collectible value - - if this concerns you.

3. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Never noticed this till now..I have rebuilt quite a few Mopar engines,but when it comes to the Hemi I let a professional take over.People that don't own one often don't understand the differences...I would recommend For Hemis Only..Tim Banning does a great job for people all over the world.

4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Shaun; Ray Barton from PA is supposed to be a top Hemi guy. Another way is to go up to New England Dragway or other track or a Mopar car show and talk to Hemi guys who can tell you their experiences. And it also depends on what your goal is. An engine rebuild with 10% more HP is pretty easy. If you want to go racing and be competitive it'll cost a lot more and be less streetable.

There are two things that are important. The first is to find a machine shop with quality equipment. Check the deck height. New brass freeze plugs. Mike the crank. Bore and fine hone the cylinders for moly rings. This must be done with torque plates. Match the piston to cyl bore to the piston manufacturers specs for your new pistons. Check heads for flatness. Clean up the ports a little. Do a gasket match for the intake and exhaust manifolds. Do a quality valve job.

The second thing is to find a mechanic [or shop] with Hemi experience. They can advise you for cam and piston recommendations. And other tricks they have learned along the way. These engines have high load valve springs, so the cam/lifter pressures are high. Use an oil which has additives which can tolerate that. Like one rated SG or SH. Note that the rating is for the maximum amount of ZDDP, not the amount that is actually in the oil.

Good Luck

Shane Estabrooks and Fast Eddie like this.
  5. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Remember that hemis usually have had a rough Life so many internal parts are fatigued.
    - atleast get new rods and rockers.

As for oli..
    - there is a Little thing with oils that wery few know....
    Look for Rotela, Delo, Delvac etc, get an oil made for big rigs. A modern " diesel" oil wich have the ratings of CI,CI+, CI4, CJ and you simply cant do any better.
    These H(aevy)D(uty)E(ngine)O(il) aka "HDEO" are made for a much harder use than ordinary passcar oil. Cheap also if you get a 5 gallon can.

Mike V. and Volunteer like this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I'd recommend to Magnaflux the rods and rockers. (and whatever else you want, like the heads...) If good, re-use and save yourself some bucks. I have a 1969 Nascar hemi that has seen active duty and the parts are fine. Hemis were built to take it. Where you get into problems is from improper assy or prep work. Also - CC the heads.
    I agree - best to have a hemi expert do the work. :cool:
    An ex drag racer that built his own stuff is always a good choice.