AF: Storage (short-term/long-term) for Wagon | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage (short-term/long-term) for Wagon

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by ChryslerTC1986, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ChryslerTC1986

I was curious if the gurus here have any insights as to the best way to store a K through winter in am unheated, covered garage -- I bought me some moth balls and bedazzled the interior with them in their own containers as well as in the engine compartment. I also plugged my tail-pipe with steel-wool because I had some on hand.

Overkill? Pointless? The K will only really be in storage until Mid-April

What are some major points of concern during storage?
    Any locations in particular to be aware of to ensure the prevention of rodent inhabitants?

What do you guys do with your K-cars when they are in storage?

Thanks!

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Besides rodents, humidity and temperature change can be a problem.
    The car should be stored with a fresh oil change and any fuel should be treated so it doesn't spoil.

chuzz likes this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'd also add to not engage the parking brake. Sometimes they'll freeze.

Doug D likes this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Might want to put the vehicle on jack stands so the tires don't flat spot. Definitely add Sta-Bil (fuel stabilizer).

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Will the battery be kept in it over the winter? I generally put the convertible on the charger for a few hours every 2nd weekend so that the battery doesn't discharge and freeze.
    Is seed or pet food stored in the garage as well? Rodents love this stuff and I have had to empty air cleaners and remove heater blower motors for clean up.
    Rodents can destroy an interior and wiring. The larger ones chew hoses. Moth balls or strong peppermint may deter them.

ChryslerTC1986 and Doug D like this.
  6. ChryslerTC1986

Ill look into the oil thing, it might be clean enough since I changed it less than 5,000 mi ago. If it is highly advisable that I do so, I will.

Imperial, The battery doesnt necessarily need to stay in-place during the winter. I can keep it inside if need be - but I do have a charger so I can keep it charged bi-weekly.

As for food storage in the garage, I am a recent tenant here so I'll look around the shared garage and see if I find anything. I do know that me and the landlord keep the trash in there (covered) but there is a small compost there - so food sources are in vicinity.

Do you think its best to put traps down around the vehicle? bait or no bait?

Any essential places in the engine compartment I should put deterrents (such as moth balls or essential oils).

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Fresh oil right before storage is best. Used oil will be more acidic.

Doug D likes this.
  8. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

i have a car bag i can sell you. Indoor use only. zips up with dry packs inside that are reusable .

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I overinflate the tires to avoid flat spots, and drive it now and then as well (jack stands would be ideal if I had room but the garage is barely wider than the car and I can reach one side or the other). Gasoline stabilizer. I disconnect the battery rather than trickling it, partly because it's not my garage.